75 replies to this topic

#16 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 05:44 AM

I may have an extra throw out bearing support, I have to look to be sure , I have 5 gear drives and want to make sure  I have at least one extra for my self before I make any promises. The guide pins have been discontinued  for some time, you can use high grade bolts, cut the heads off and put a nut on either side of the threads and bolt to the disc.

If you have a spare bearing it would make my day. So far along with the throw out bearing, the clutch disc, the helper spring and sleeves are destroyed along with the pilot bearing. This old girl must have lead a really rough life.

#17 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 03:38 AM

Give me a few days to look, most of my spare parts are in a storage unit across town, I have stuff scattered all over the county .

• MH81, VTXrider and MolonLabe have said thanks

#18 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 10:33 PM

I am still trying to get the driveshaft assembly out, seems like entire tractor was built around it. It's bound to go back together easier than it's coming apart. I did have a thought on a suitable substitute for the throw out bearing cap, a freeze plug like the 2-9/64" OD one below with a 1" hole drilled through the center for the shaft.

s-l1600.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Ah, that's a good idea.
Have to be spot on the center and drill really slow to not pretzel it, but that should work.

#20 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 05:46 PM

Hit a brick wall today. Finally got the drive assembly out and sadly, the input shaft is toast along with the right angle gearbox rattling and also has a loose input bearing, probably caused by the shaft running off center. At some point the pilot bearing must have seized up but who needs a bearing when a piece of conduit should suffice?

SAM_1602.JPG

I measured the end of the shaft at .629-.621, a far cry from .750 so at this point she goes on hold till I can round up another gearbox with a good input shaft. On the bright side, I can get back to work on my M-F 10 until I can find the parts to fix this one.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#21 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Thanks to EricfromPa's ebay link, a replacement gearbox is on the way along with new seals and a throw out and pilot bearing.

• wvbuzzmaster, Rock farmer, VTXrider and 1 other said thanks

#22 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Do you still need the throw out bearing arm?

• MolonLabe said thank you

#23 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 03:50 PM

Made some progress on the 960 over the last few days. Had to tear down the replacement gearbox and use my original output shaft in it, the one it came with had a chewed up key way. While everything was apart I installed a zerk fitting on the gearbox cover ( I tend to be anal about keeping things topped off with grease) along a set of new seals. Pressed the 2-9/64" freeze plug onto the throw out bearing as a substitute bearing cap time will tell how well that works out. Welded the throw out arm up with a couple passes of heavy weld. Finally got the clutch assembly back together and installed making sure that the shaft was in line with the engine.  A note to others, the final drive belt on these is a 4L580 which I installed along with a pair of pto belts.

A few pics, that's the old throw out bearing sitting on top of the gearbox

SAM_1609.JPG SAM_1610.JPG

The dash is off while I figure out what to use to repair it, In the mean time the wiring gets cleaned up.

SAM_1613.JPG

• wvbuzzmaster, Rock farmer and VTXrider have said thanks

#24 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Glad to see the progress on  the 960.

#25 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 03:55 PM

I am still about 2 1/2 steps behind you and suddenly discovered that your 960 is newer than my 1971, because you have a pedal on the right side of the tractor and mine is on the left side. No matter, both are being revived. Do you know the approximate year, yet?  

#26 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 06:07 PM

Glad to see the progress on  the 960.

Thanks, it has been a real learning experience so far!

I am still about 2 1/2 steps behind you and suddenly discovered that your 960 is newer than my 1971, because you have a pedal on the right side of the tractor and mine is on the left side. No matter, both are being revived. Do you know the approximate year, yet?  

According to the engine S/N it's a 1974 and it does have the separate clutch and brake pedals. The brakes are another item that need to be repaired, the caliper is missing the pucks and nothing I've found looks like it will interchange. Might get a complete assembly like this one and try to modify it to fit http://www.ebay.com/...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Started work on the dash today, put fiberglass cloth/resin behind all the cracks and built up the area where the throttle mounts with multiple layers. Still debating on what to do with the steel dash insert, may just paint it black and call it good :D

• KennyP said thank you

#27 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Pucks can be made. Use the steel push plate as a pattern. Cut the pad material off of a car disc brake pad and shape to fit. Two pucks can be made from one pad.

• TheFarm2004, Sawdust and MolonLabe have said thanks

#28 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Pucks can be made. Use the steel push plate as a pattern. Cut the pad material off of a car disc brake pad and shape to fit. Two pucks can be made from one pad.

That sounds like a great idea, I may have a spare brake pad laying around to try that out on.

From one ham to another thanks and 73

N9MB

• TheFarm2004 and VTXrider have said thanks

#29 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:59 PM

Just in case you want the factory look here is what I got from these folks & used on mine. I thought it was a bit pricey at first but once I applied it on the finished dash I was glad I made the decision. I have seen them painted to match the sheet metal & they look good. My first thought on mine was to go with a piece of brushed aluminum. You could use your old plate as a template. Your project is looking good...I like the red.  :thumbs:

http://www.clickitan...990-dash-decal/

My before & after pics

ref26.jpg dash repair38.jpg

• TheFarm2004, Alc, VTXrider and 1 other said thanks

#30 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 12:07 AM

That sounds like a great idea, I may have a spare brake pad laying around to try that out on.

From one ham to another thanks and 73

N9MB

Or for less than $10.00 you can order gocart disc pads, Vintage Mini Bike & Go-Kart Round Disc Brake Pads - 1-1/8" OD - 1/2" Height, they fit the original calipers perfectly.

• Sawdust and MolonLabe have said thanks