• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 11:30 AM

I have always been a huge fan of aviation I have been building all sorts of static models for 25 years now. I came across this article. here a guy built a full replica of a spitfire fighter plane and yes he flies it. amazing build

http://www.ww2aero.c...ideo/#more-2862
  • Bud, KennyP, Cvans and 16 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 11:36 AM

Wow, that's impressive.
But as I say when I see things like this,
"Time and Money, Time and Money"
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 12:29 PM

You are so right, lots of money! As an aircraft mechanic I learned that keeping historic airplanes airworthy is a gigantic money pit. Also the resources are very hard to find but not impossible, we once had to locate an entire strut assembly for a B17, ended up finding it in a Navy storage bunker still in our supply system. It had been sitting in its crate since world war 2 undisturbed. Great story thanks for sharing.
  • MH81, HDWildBill and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 02:33 PM

The Iowa Aviation Museum is in Greenfield, Iowa .  Am sure they have a web site.  This is a private family owned museum.  Originator started in the gravel business back when he hauled it with a team of horses.  Name is Schildberg,  3rd& 4th  generation running the business now and have numerous quarry's in SW Iowa.  The grandfather of the ones in control now, if my memory serves me correctly was big into aviation.  His head stone is the size of a single car garage door.  Has a single engine airplane flying  with clouds in the background engraved on the stone.  All old restored aircraft in the museum.  At one time a gent by the name of Hartford Fees was the full time airplane mechanic and restorer.  I worked in that town for about 9 years.  Talk about time and money !

Edited by chieffan, March 05, 2016 - 02:34 PM.

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 08:16 PM

BOAT stands for break out another thousand, PLANE stands for,  you just plane don't have enough.

• Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer and Buddy have said thanks

#6 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:36 AM

:thumbs:  for the build , but you never get me up in anything that's over 6 ft off the ground 

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I think the Spitfire is one of the best looking planes of it's era.

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 08:24 AM

My all time favorite plane is the Lockheed P-38 Lightning

• Eric said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:20 AM

Impressive. The plane has a special place in the hearts and minds of anyone living in England during WW2. These planes and the brave heroes who flew them were instrumental in stopping the Germans from Invading England. 

I just read an article about someone who is building replica kits of 9/10 scale Spitfires. It is indeed a beautiful plane and with modern CNC techniques and materials they can reproduce them at a somewhat reasonable price. I think the figure quoted was 210,000$ .  In order to fly, these DIY designs have to be certified as safe which I'm sure is not a cheap process. 

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:29 AM

Since he built it him self I would imagine sourcing parts isn't to much of a problem.  The spitfire, P=38, Thunderbolt and the Corsair were all really cool aircraft. When I was in the Navy, there is an annual air show at Oceana.  All kinds of aircraft would come in the days ahead of the show so I got to see a lot of vintage aircraft up close and talk with the owner / pilots.

I always loved those big Radial engines, especially when they would start up, run a mid range then pull back to idle. Nothing sounds better.  In fact when i start my computer it uses a sound file of an R2800 cranking and then hitting and firing off.

• HANKG said thank you

#11 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:08 PM

The air shows were the best part of the Navy especially when working them. I got a ride in a few great aircraft and must say that world war two era aircraft are special indeed, the mosquito sticks out in my mind what a cool plane. Nothing says cool like a plane that burns as much oil as fuel!
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#12 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:33 PM

That's amazing. Seen how much hours goes into building kit planes but from scratch,,,that's ambition!

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:47 AM

The air shows were the best part of the Navy especially when working them. I got a ride in a few great aircraft and must say that world war two era aircraft are special indeed, the mosquito sticks out in my mind what a cool plane. Nothing says cool like a plane that burns as much oil as fuel!

When I was stationed over in Rota Spain my then wife, daughter and I flew back to the states on a C-118.  We had to stop in the Azores for fuel so we had to debark the plane.  We were standing under the wing and the wife looked up and saw this black stuff running back on the wing.  She asked be what is was and you should have seen the expression on her face when I told her it was oil.  Priceless!  Then one of the A/C told her it is when we don't see it we worry. 

The only real vintage plane I got to fly is was the COD.  When I was aboard the USS Nimitz the ship went into the yards and I was assigned as the maintenance chief for the COD and got to stay in Norfolk.  Got quite a bit of flight time in that old bird then we had to transfer her to the bone yard. :(

I did however get my back seat card for the F-4 Phantom so I got to fly in it several times.  That was a blast!

• Eric said thank you

#14 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 07:45 PM

The phantom is an interesting plane. My friend works at waukegan airport, lot of rich folks fly out of there, his boss owns a Mig and a C.O.D. we used to spend quite a bit of time on them. Vintage aircraft are a lot of fun for the wealthy and a lot of work for us poor maintenance rats, but hey if we behave real well maybe sometimes we get to watch as they play with them! Thanks for the memories!

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:34 PM

One Merlin in a P-51 is a wonderful sound. The sound of two Merlins in a Mosquito is out of this world.