• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Are you getting spark at all, have you checked your valve tappet clearance?

• accidentalchild said thank you

#107 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:14 AM

The points are often the problem, as Brian said do you get spark? When I don't get spark at the plug I trace back starting at the points by testing with a light, if good contact is made there I test the coil. My 850 originally would not start due to the points and a few weeks later the coil needed replacing after it had leaked all its oil out.

#108 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • Member No: 68112
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:44 AM

I checked points and have spark . I have not checked the tappet clearance. I also cleaned out the fuel tank and put in a carb kit. I shot some starting fluid in the spark plug hole as well. The engine still slows down when I am cranking it over I think at the compression stroke.

#109 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 09:05 AM

If your not getting it to fire/run on starting fluid down the plug hole you have other problems, like  ignition/valve clearances

#110 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 01:22 PM

I just checked to make sure that everything I knew to be true was actually true. As it turns out I was not getting fuel after I put the new carb kit in and cleaned the fuel tank. I took the tank out and put new fuel line and a shut off valve on it and another new filter. All of those items were working yesterday when I drained the tank. After doing all of that it still did not start but it did act like it was going to . I think someone mentioned the fuel pump wiring is hooked up on the wrong side of the coil so I will move that over. I am definitely getting good spark after cleaning and adjusting the points. I do believe I will be driving this thing today.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#111 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Take the fuel line off the carb and see if you have pressure when it turns over. Also, it still should have tried to start with thes tarting fluid sprayed into the carb.

#112 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Take the fuel line off the carb and see if you have pressure when it turns over. Also, it still should have tried to start with thes tarting fluid sprayed into the carb.

yea checked the fuel pressure and that's good. It did sputter like it was going to start but no go. Gonna try the valve tappet business next. It definitely slowed way down at one point while I am cranking it over still.

#113 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:25 PM

This is what it looks like outside right now it's like 61 and sunny. We had like 20 days of rain before yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Paulgo said thank you

#114 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Have you tried a shot of carb cleaner down the sparkplug hole and see if it fires up? Thats the easiest way to rule out a fuel issue and move on the ignition/ valves

#115 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Have you tried a shot of carb cleaner down the sparkplug hole and see if it fires up? Thats the easiest way to rule out a fuel issue and move on the ignition/ valves

yea have tried that and it didn't help. My inline spark tester showes I am getting spark . The manual says to make sure the exhaust valve tappet is not resting on the compression release spoiler cam. I am not exactly sure how I would check for that but maybe my valves are off and or the timing?

#116 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:18 PM

I suspect insufficient valve tappet clearances from what you are describing.

#117 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:40 PM

yea have tried that and it didn't help. My inline spark tester showes I am getting spark . The manual says to make sure the exhaust valve tappet is not resting on the compression release spoiler cam. I am not exactly sure how I would check for that but maybe my valves are off and or the timing?

The foolproof way to check valve clearances is to check intake clearance while the exhaust valve is fully raised, and check the intake when the exhaust valve is fully raised.

#118 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:45 PM

I also inadvertently checked for spark with my body as I grabbed the metal part of the spark tester as I was cranking the engine over. I got a good laugh out of that experience, I could feel the electricity travel from my left hand to my right hand that was holding the key. It was shocking for sure lol.
  • Sawdust and AA Hayes have said thanks

#119 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:49 PM

The foolproof way to check valve clearances is to check intake clearance while the exhaust valve is fully raised, and check the intake when the exhaust valve is fully raised.

I have yet to have had the pleasure of checking valve clearances. Will that require me to take the head off again or can I do that through the inspection area? I do notice that the exhaust valve spins as it is going up and down and oil comes out of the area that it is spinning on. The intake does not seem to be spinning or having oil ooze out of that spot.

#120 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:53 PM

I prob have 250 in parts for this thing already lol makes me want to buy this 1250 too.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Sawdust said thank you