• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JCV OFFLINE  

JCV
  • Member No: 81555
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:55 AM

I have a 25 year old G-series tractor with a Kohler Magnum 12 engine.  Sometimes it cranks fine, others, I turn the key and nothing happens-- I have to bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:02 PM

:welcometogttalk: Check the switch. :camera:

• JCV said thank you

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Went through the same thing with another GT. Soulution was to clean all the connections on the ignition switch, safety switches, and battery terminals. 

• JCV said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Did anyone mention the ignition switch? When you go to Napa to get a new one, take the old one along. There are a thousand models of them.

• JCV said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:50 PM

When you say jump the solenoid, are you putting power on the small terminal or do you have to jump the 2 big terminals? Take a test light and start testing the circuit to see where you lose the voltage from the switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. It could even be something like a clutch switch or another safety.

• JCV said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 01:22 PM

I just dragged a tractor from it's grave it has been sitting in for the past 2 years or so.  When I went to start it with the ignition switch I got nothing so I jumped between the large terminals and it turned over.  I then applied power to the small terminal through a remote switch I have.  It turned over just fine.  So after I went through the engine to check everything over and change the oil, I decided to try the ignition switch again and it worked.  It has worked since then so I'm assuming that either it had some water in one of the contacts or the solenoid was stuck.  It it happens again I'll go further.

These intermittent electrical problems will defiantly give you a few more gray hairs!

• JCV said thank you

#7 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 12:09 PM

Ignition switch is the likely problem, I've seen dozens of these posts asking the same thing and a new switch fixed it. As a matter of fact the switch in my Gravely 816 is bad, If I turn it all the way to start it doesn't work. I have to back the key up a little and it will catch.

I have a new switch for it but it will go in when I start the re-build.

• Alc and JCV have said thanks

#8 JCV OFFLINE  

JCV
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:49 AM

:welcometogttalk: Check the switch. :camera:

Ignition switch tested out OK--working my way through safety switches.

#9 JCV OFFLINE  

JCV
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Went through the same thing with another GT. Soulution was to clean all the connections on the ignition switch, safety switches, and battery terminals. 

Just yesterday discovered that the negative battery connection was loose and cannot be tightened any further. will replace.

#10 JCV OFFLINE  

JCV
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:54 AM

I just dragged a tractor from it's grave it has been sitting in for the past 2 years or so.  When I went to start it with the ignition switch I got nothing so I jumped between the large terminals and it turned over.  I then applied power to the small terminal through a remote switch I have.  It turned over just fine.  So after I went through the engine to check everything over and change the oil, I decided to try the ignition switch again and it worked.  It has worked since then so I'm assuming that either it had some water in one of the contacts or the solenoid was stuck.  It it happens again I'll go further.

These intermittent electrical problems will defiantly give you a few more gray hairs!

Switch tested out OK-- I replaced it a few years back, but I couldn't get ir fully reconnected. I am going to disconnect, dry and add some dielectric grease.

#11 JCV OFFLINE  

JCV
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:57 AM

When you say jump the solenoid, are you putting power on the small terminal or do you have to jump the 2 big terminals? Take a test light and start testing the circuit to see where you lose the voltage from the switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. It could even be something like a clutch switch or another safety.

I was using the two big terminals. I have since used a multimeter to check voltage--ignition swich seems OK. Havent gotten back to test all of the safety switches.

#12 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 03:20 PM

Some solenoids require 12v + applied to the small terminal of the solenoid to activate it. (If you have this type, verify a good ground at the solenoid mounting.)

Some solenoids require 12v - applied to the small terminal of the solenoid to activate it. (Usually one of the large terminals is marked "BAT." )

Do you know which type of solenoid you have?