• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:12 AM

I added another red Bolens to my herd. Since I now have three, I figured they were worthy of a thread. The latest is a 1966 192-01 1050 that was painted up like an IH Farmall. Mostly intact, and came with mower deck and snowcaster, but the TR-10D needs a rebuild. Not sure what I'll do with this one yet. Basically rescued it from a bad situation.

001.jpg 003a.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg 019.jpg

Prior to this I acquired a 1973 QT16 that appears to have been a fleet order. The paint job is high quality and looks old enough to have been done by the dealer. This one still has the knockout in the dash where the "standard equipment" hour meter would have gone.

#9.jpg 010.jpg men9.JPG

Then there is Old Red, the Bolens that started my passion. This tractor might actually be one of the fabled "prototypes" that we hear about. I have a few reasons for thinking so. 1. It is powered by an Onan B43M, rather than the Onan BF/MS normally used. Looks to have always been in there and the well built driveshaft is obviously custom made. 2. My other five QTs all have ID tags riveted onto the pan under the seat. This one doesn't, and there aren't any holes from a tag gone missing. 3. My other hoods are all one piece stamped. This one is assembled and spot welded. Who knows?

IMG_4116.JPG IMG_4110.JPG 008.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Like the little "H"

• Paulgo said thank you

#3 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:36 PM

You could always just put Troybilt stickers on them and call it a day! That's what Troybilt did.... LOL
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#4 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 02:26 PM

Nice fleet,

concerning the last one, I'm not sure what the built order with Bolens is, but, the lettered (BF/BG/NH) engines were (I believe*) the original releases, ie, sold 1st, then after some years, they were renamed with the number for displacement , ie B43 or B48. And finally later still they were renamed again as the Performer series, ie, P216, P218.    

IE, if the tractor was normally powered with a BF, anything with a B43 would be later.

Dan

* by original I mean the 1st names given to the aluminum block engines. They were in use when I started there in 1975, so I don't know if there were any predecessors. Prior to the aluminum engines there were the CCK series, all cast iron blocks.  

I also don't if either the BF or BG was released 1st and/or when the NH was released, relative to the BF. 

It is powered by an Onan B43M, rather than the Onan BF/MS normally used.

• WrenchinOnIt, TomLGT195 and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 02:54 PM

I added another red Bolens to my herd. Since I now have three, I figured they were worthy of a thread. The latest is a 1966 192-01 1050 that was painted up like an IH Farmall. Mostly intact, and came with mower deck and snowcaster, but the TR-10D needs a rebuild. Not sure what I'll do with this one yet. Basically rescued it from a bad situation.
attachicon.gif001.jpgattachicon.gif003a.jpgattachicon.gif016.jpgattachicon.gif017.jpgattachicon.gif019.jpg

Prior to this I acquired a 1973 QT16 that appears to have been a fleet order. The paint job is high quality and looks old enough to have been done by the dealer. This one still has the knockout in the dash where the "standard equipment" hour meter would have gone.
attachicon.gif#9.jpgattachicon.gif010.jpgattachicon.gifmen9.JPG

Then there is Old Red, the Bolens that started my passion. This tractor might actually be one of the fabled "prototypes" that we hear about. I have a few reasons for thinking so. 1. It is powered by an Onan B43M, rather than the Onan BF/MS normally used. Looks to have always been in there and the well built driveshaft is obviously custom made. 2. My other five QTs all have ID tags riveted onto the pan under the seat. This one doesn't, and there aren't any holes from a tag gone missing. 3. My other hoods are all one piece stamped. This one is assembled and spot welded. Who knows?
attachicon.gifIMG_4116.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4110.JPGattachicon.gif008.jpg

As most of us suspected it was just a matter of time until a Tube Frame entered the mix... EBolensia ?
  • blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 03:22 PM

As most of us suspected it was just a matter of time until a Tube Frame entered the mix... EBolensia ?

Way too funny! Had a feeling you might say something. :poke:   :wave: 

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#7 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 04:48 PM

I seen that on Facebook

#8 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 05:22 PM

You could always just put Troybilt stickers on them and call it a day! That's what Troybilt did.... LOL

Funny! And so true!

• blackjackjakexxix and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,107 Thanks
  • 1,198 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Looks like the Bolens Bug is still biting people - you are going to need a bigger storage area.  Thanks for sharing the 1050 picture - I will never stop being amazed at what people will do to a lawn tractor to make it look like a different brand.

• Paulgo said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 07:06 PM

Least not Green and Yellow!  But Red seems to be the second common color.  I paint mine MM Yellow many times, I'm Guilty too! But plenty of Red in my garage also, Speedex and PK's.

• Paulgo said thank you