• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fred OFFLINE  

Fred

• Member No: 2068
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 11:12 AM

I have a recently purchased Roper with a 14 HP B&S flathead engine that I ran for about 5 hours. I estimate it was made between 1985-95. Engine Model 400707-0128. The other day it ran for a minute and quit like it ran out of gas. Carb bowl was dry so I rebuilt the fuel pump. Pump worked well but bowl was still dry. Cleared all passages and checked float level. It appeared that float adjustment would keep needle closed at all times. reduced float height to allow fuel in bowl. Started and ran well for 2 hours and then began to starve for gas again. This winter replaced filter, fuel lines, vac line and rinsed tank. Does anyone have the float specs for this engine or maybe a clue as to the problem? I do not have a REPAIR manual, does any have a location for one or a spec sheet I can download?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 12:08 PM

After you adjusted the float where it ran for two hours then, did you happen to check and see if there was fuel in the bowl and that the gas was still flowing/pumping? The reason I ask is because if it isn't from starving from fuel I would check the coil and see if it isn't quitting after getting good and hot. If we don't have a manual in the Briggs section then hopefully someone can post one up for ya. I don't know what the float height is supposed to be on it.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 01:28 PM

One of the things I would check is to be sure that the gas cap breather isn't plugged up a bit. If it creates a vacuum in the tank it will starve for fuel. Another problem could be softened fuel lines that could collapse under mild vacuum. I'd say that the coil could be the problem also. I had that same problem with a Kohler engine, but it never made 2 hours of run time before starting to act up. I'd only get about 1/2 hour out of it. I am also wondering if you have the proper float installed in the carb. There are so many that look similar and will actually fit in the wrong application. Just some things to check out. I wish that I could help you with some specs, but I don't have that info. Best of luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 03:27 PM

I would think too that if it were float related that it wouldn't last 2 hours. Would almost starve for fuel not long after it was put to full throttle for a couple minutes.

#5 Fred OFFLINE  

Fred

• Member No: 2068
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I took the carb off this AM and there was gas in the bowl. All fuel lines are new as is the vac line to the carb. If I put some gas down the throat when it quits it will run for a few seconds. I don't think it is electrical. I took the cap off to see if it was causing the problem, no change. I now have the carb soaking and will look for a rebuild kit tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I'll post the solution when I get there. Still looking for the specs.