• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 R Miller OFFLINE  

R Miller

• Member No: 3006
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Hello all. I think I'm having trouble with my kohler ch20 in my woods zero turn. It was running fine and good power. Now it seems to run ok but acts like lacking power. I did compression test seems good 130 to 135 lbs. both side. Color on sparkplugs is gray an looks good. I installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter and air cleaner. I have one thought... When it was good and I mowed for two hours... when I stop and park it ..turn key off it always and I mean always like runs backwards  { I call it diesel }  and stop with a somewhat a noise. Now since I notice lack of power it never does that anymore. Does this engine have a spark advance or something ? Or what else I should look at ? Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Yep..Mine did that also..bent the push rods..Kohler told me to always shut it down at least half throttle...I didnt listen..bent a valve..try to use real gas as well(no ethanol)..it also bent my shear pin and threw off the timing.

• limebuzz, MH81 and Kyocum have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,370 Thanks
  • 4,606 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Never ever turn an engine off above idle speed.  That is one thing I will never forget that my Dad taught me.  Probably had to learn the hard way though, that's why I remember it so clear.

#4 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 554 Thanks
  • 692 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:58 PM

The neighbor had a Simpy with a Kohler, a bit hard to start and sounded like a rod knock, after doing a bunch of things that did nothing to cure its ailments we pulled the flywheel,,,, and found a partially sheared key.  Ive seen sheared key in push mower from hitting solid objects but never saw one in a rider.

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,236 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 05:09 AM

Check the timing, only way is to check flywheel key, make sure the danged thing is tight when you put it back together! Next check pushrods and rockers! One or more could be out of spec. These have hydraulic lifters so the should not be any clearance between the rocker and valve stem with out serious effort to collapse the lifter. Cams can also go bad( but not common unless you run a higher spring pressure) (evil laugh inserted)
They do have a fancy ignition coil set that advances timing after so many rpm, yours could have them and failed?

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,034 Thanks
  • 28,967 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Some of the Koehler powered machin s say to shut down at run speed, but I agree with the always idle down.
The guys have given you some good ideas. Maybe fresh ethanol free gas before turning a wrench, but I think you're in for it.

#7 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 282 Thanks
  • 406 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 09:36 AM

Never ever turn an engine off above idle speed.  That is one thing I will never forget that my Dad taught me.  Probably had to learn the hard way though, that's why I remember it so clear.

chieffan I respect your dads advice and that is always how I shut down most engines. Any Kohler Command operating manual that I have looked at states to shut down at half throttle. Kohler has been building quality engines for a long time so they must realize there is a potential problem shutting down at idle RPM's. Do as you will but I will heed the advice of the operating manual. 

• Auburn David said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 10:42 AM

While you are checking the shear pin take a look at the flywheel.  I have had quite a few Kohler's come in with a complaint of not running quite right and when I check the fly wheel it had a large amount of rust and debris on and around it.  Clean the flywheel and coil's off and get all the debris out and it runs almost like new.

#9 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:11 AM

I thought the same thing..but per Kohler on the newer engines you should..this is what they told me"The Kohler carb engines have an anti backfire solenoid. Cuts fuel flow in the carb. However it only works on the high speed side of the carb. Not the low speed. So if you kill it at low speed it will backfire. If you kill it at 75% throttle it wont. Most other manufacturers anti backfire solenoids cut fuel flow from both the high and low side. quote.png

• Kyocum and HDWildBill have said thanks

#10 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 11:14 AM

20 horse power Kohler engine cv600 series.

The engine has a anti-backfire solenoid valve that closes the fuel flow when you turn the ignition key to the off position,to help prevent the backfire issue you are referring to.

If you have left fuel in the system during a period of seasonal non-use of the tractor, the deposits in the fuel left in the carburetor may have caused the solenoid pin to stick in the open position so the fuel is not closing as designed to reduce but not eliminate backfire.

The manufacture recommended process for shutting down the tractor is to have the throttle at half throttle or higher when turning off the key.

• Kyocum and HDWildBill have said thanks

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 01:45 PM

The post I have made in here are only relevant to the newer Kohler engines with the anti-backfire/fuel shut off solenoid..I still shut my older Kohlers down at an idle(or just above)I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes that knows a lot more about these engines than I do.I was just giving my experience with them and passing on the info that Kohler and Sears as well as a shop told me.

• EricR said thank you

#12 R Miller OFFLINE  

R Miller

• Member No: 3006
  • 4 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 06:05 PM

Hello again. I want to thank everyone for great response. First off I guess I should have read owners manual on engine. It says "for engines without solenoid move throttle to low idle". Then for engines with shutdown solenoid set throttle between half and full. Now this leaves me with the question .. What do I have ? Can someone tell me ? Or what do I look for ? I only see one electrical wire on top of engine next to carb but it looks like it goes into engine block. My other question is. If I have bent push rods or valve would it still sound and run ok with good compression ?  I will check key in flywheel also .  Thanks again for help.

• Auburn David said thank you

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 09:52 AM

There will be one wire going to what looks like the bowl on the carb if you have the anti-backfire/fuel shut off solenoid.

#14 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 09:57 AM

And yes..it will still run pretty smooth with bent pushrods ..but will lack power because the valves aren't opening all the way..might also be hard to turn over when cranking.But again those can be symptoms of a bent shear pin as well.

Edited by Auburn David, March 06, 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Might look something like this. _lmk_solenoid.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler