Drive belt hassles!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 theck4291 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 81055
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 02:52 PM

I am having a hell of a time attaching my new drive belt on my John Deere F510. Finally got it all up and running, had to install a toggle switch directly to the clutch but it now works great! Any help/tips tricks to getting the belts in place would be great.

#2 pidjones OFFLINE  

• Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 04:27 PM

Don't have that tractor, but there is usually a spring-loaded idler that you must remove all spring tension from. Sometimes there is also an adjustable idler that needs backed off all the way, too. On my 345, you have to unbolt the seat pan and lift it and the gas tank ~ 4" to give room for the belt to go over the main driven pulley, then remove one other idler under the engine to get it on over the drive pulley and PTO. After that, replace and tighten things up and replace the tension spring. On the 216, there is a primary and secondary and the only way to get the secondary on is to latch the idler out of the way (deep well socket on an extension goes through a frame hole over the mounting bolt to hold it) and remove 2 of the three rear pulley bolts to let it flop down giving clearance to pass the belt between the pullet and axle tube. Aren't they all fun? You just have to find those special "tricks" for yours!

#3 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 01:17 PM

Serial number of the deck and tractor would help as I posted in the other thread.  JD made rolling production changes and the the diagrams on JDParts.com take that stuff into consideration.