13 replies to this topic

#1 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Ford GT's are a rarity in my neck of the woods so I'd like some pointers from you Ford owners on an LGT165 I came across for sale that caught my eye. Pros and cons alike would be appreciated including the usual wear and tear items to look out for. I have not seen the tractor first hand but it appears to be in good condition from the pictures. Thanks in advance for your input.

00000_77NWgaJOG2z_600x450.jpg

• Bud, Chopperhed, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:26 PM

I've owned 2 - a closed side (like the one you are looking at - still have it), and an open side (that I kept for a while then sold). The closed sides are heavy built well running machines. I'll see if I can lend some help....

The dash and tunnel covers are plastic and tend to crack/break. Several people (including me) have made replacement dashes out of metal (I made one out of diamond plate - its on here somewhere...). The rear ends (eatons?) are tough and rarely have issues. The hydro is a high/low/neutral range selector. There are two types of trans filters - an in-line and a screw-on - the in-lines are expensive! but you don't have to replace them often, and there are several ways to upgrade to the screw-on filters.

The 165 was made by Jacobsen for ford - there is a jake model (don't remember the number off hand) that mirrors the ford, and many parts are still available through New Holland. The 125, 145, 165 are all basically the same except for the engine size, and a few minor tidbits. The engines are standard kohler - narrow base like on some deeres and cubs. Ford attachments are kind of hard to find, depending on where you are - pretty scarce down south....

You have the important parts to add a 3 point or pin hitch. I made a 3 point for mine - it's documented on here. You can make an adapter for the front to use other brand attachments (like blades or snow throwers) - I had started to make an adapter to use deere attachments since they are so easy to find...

The manuals and attachment guides for your machine are on here for download.

The ford has a lot of space under the hood - it lends itself well to repower if you so desire. Mine has a kohler command 18hp twin in it (my original k341 split the case when a balance gear let go (again, the whole story is on here, including the repower)). A few members have put water cooled diesels in them as well.... IF you go into the engine, I would pull the balance gears and save yourself any possible damage.

There are a bunch of guys on here that have them - so plenty of folks that can help out if you have issues. That's all I can think of up front, sure somebody else will add some more... 

• RAJ, Bud, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Welcome, Both of my Fords had a lot of play in the steering, and front axle pivot. Stuff like that doesn't show up in a picture. Its definitely a nice looking tractor.
  • RAJ, Cvans, MolonLabe and 1 other said thanks

#4 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:49 PM

I saw the same tractor listed today.  If it were closer, I would have headed that way.  I have the 14hp Jacobsen version, they are smooth riding tractors, and I think most have the Hi-Lo hydrastadt. Plastic is kinda cheap like said above, but I think it is way better than what you see on the Snapper-Massey series, just for comparison.  The tube frame set up appears well designed.  I think accessories for them are rare and there decks are about as rust prone as any garden tractor I have dealt with.  I am just a tinkerer and I would listen to others before me, but if that thing looks and performs like the pictures appears, I would jump it at that price.

• Cvans and MolonLabe have said thanks

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 03:00 AM

That's my favorite tractor. If I could only have one that would be it.
That has a 42" deck. A 50" was available but the 42" is best for my needs.
That three point is adapted/ fabed.
It has the very rare rear PTO bracket for running a roto tiller.
It should have a long shaft to the front of the engine for the PTO.
Not much goes wrong with these tractors.
The Ross steering box can be rebuilt. The rubber isolation mounts for the engine and
Seat pan always need to be replaced. The attachment point on the deck lift broke on one of mine.
Mower decks are sometimes worn out at all the moving connections.
I suspect that machine has been repainted. And, the seat may have been replaced.
Oh, and the neutral safety switch can be a bit difficult to get just right.

Joe
  • RAJ, Cvans and MolonLabe have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 05:13 AM

I have a lgt 165 also and agree with what has already been said. I will add thou, I have broken the steering box twice. Had to weld the piece back together. Broken the left front spindle once and broke the drag link from the steering box to the front left spindle once. All this is mostly caused by having a snow blower on the front. The blower is about 300 lbs and this extra weight is hard on the steering. I have put the narrow 3 rib tires on the front to help with ease of steering. If this tractor you are looking at dose not have a blower or has never had one on it , then the steering system should be fairly good. Just my experience.

Noel
  • Cvans, Rock farmer and MolonLabe have said thanks

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 05:44 AM

I have the LGT165 also. It had a rough life before, but I am real happy with how it does. I have to agree the 3-point is fabbed. Hard to see what was done in the pic.

• Cvans and MolonLabe have said thanks

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 07:41 AM

Great machine, easy to fix and modify. Mine has a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel in it and I love this machine!! I took mine to an entire different level , it has about every option you could ever want. Power steering, auxiliary Hydraulics front and rear, front, mid, and rear ptos and 3 point hitch in the rear with a Craftsman quick hitch up front.
So they have tons of potential for sure!
  • Cvans, Rock farmer and MolonLabe have said thanks

#9 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 09:22 AM

One other thing I forgot to mention about the decks.....

I believe there was an aluminum deck available on the early models, but I have never seen one myself. All the decks I have seen are steel, and are reasonably thick steel at that. The decks do have a lot of places on the top that catch grass/water and allow them to rust. But they are fairly flat and easy to weld patches in if you have rust holes.

The spindle assemblies for the deck are well built and heavy duty. They take standard roller bearings and have zirk fittings installed. Very easy to rebuild if you ever need to! Spindle shafts are very basic and could be turned on a lathe if you couldn't find them... The spindles mount onto a wide flat plate which bolts to the deck, not just 3 small contact surfaces like several other designs. Overall a good design.

One of my decks was pretty much turn key and in good shape. The other needed a lot of love and attention. Guess it mostly depends how they are treated before you get it.
  • KennyP, Cvans, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#10 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 02:24 PM

I'd go get it.

I have a 125 , had a 145 and wish for a 165 . Everybody has already said just about everything, They have their problems , but so does every tractor. The best part to me is the foot operated controls or the drive. 

• KennyP, Cvans and Rock farmer have said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Really nice mid size tractor. The dual range hydro is really nice to have and not that common. If I could find a decent one it would be high on my Buy list. 

• KennyP, Cvans and Rock farmer have said thanks

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 05:46 PM

This is the great thing about this forum, no negative comments and lots and lots of constructive information. 

Lets us know if you make the purchase. 

• KennyP, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Really nice mid size tractor. The dual range hydro is really nice to have and not that common. If I could find a decent one it would be high on my Buy list. 

If we were closer, we might deal a little!

#14 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 07:00 PM

I really appreciate all of the great info you all have provided concerning these tractors, unfortunately I was second in line for this beauty. At least next time I'll be better prepared if a similar unit comes up for sale.

• Cvans and propane1 have said thanks