Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Which Shipping Company Is Kindest to Your Packages?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 05:57 PM

http://www.popularme...-your-packages/

• Bolens 1000 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Yep USPS if you want it to survive.

My youngest brother worked for FedEx in Harrisburg PA packing trucks for a few years.They Jam and kick and stuff packages in Tightly to keep them from moving during transport.They are not KIND to any size or weight of package.The smaller and lighter the box the more throwing it around and stuffing it into small spaces it will get.

Don't mark a package as Fragile and have it shipped by FedEx without having it packed professionally and Insured for 2x the value of the item to cover Packing and replacement.

Boxes with Fragile on them take the most abuse BTW.It's like a Note on your back that says Kick Me.

This stuff works really really good for packing Fragile stuff but it's expensive.

• Bolens 1000, ducky, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,906 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 07:39 PM

I'm going to try Uship the next time I buy or sell a GT because Fastenal is not very caring in my opinion, convenient, but rough got one GT broken by them and they were like wha?
  • Bolens 1000, wvbuzzmaster, Username and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I'm going to try Uship the next time I buy or sell a GT because Fastenal is not very caring in my opinion, convenient, but rough got one GT broken by them and they were like wha?

U-Ship is the way to go in my opinion, for large whole items such as Tractors ect.

I really liked the daily tracking updates the shipper provided when I shipped my hard to find Bolens tiller

As for the Box carriers, USPS is my favorite, Less packages lost and they do make it safe and on time 98% of the time and I ship alot of packages every day.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, Username and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Some of it has to do with the individual who is handling the package.

• Bolens 1000 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Some of it has to do with the individual who is handling the package.

amen

• Username and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:49 PM

How does one get a Gt or attachment from a seller to a shipper? Most of the time the seller does not want to deal with prepping an item. Which shippers will pallet or prepare the item to ship? Just wondering what others do.
  • Username said thank you

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:09 PM

This stuff works really really good for packing Fragile stuff but it's expensive.

I have shipped engine parts by putting them in a plastic bag in a shipping box and then filling the box with spray foam.

• wvbuzzmaster and Username have said thanks

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:41 PM

I have shipped engine parts by putting them in a plastic bag in a shipping box and then filling the box with spray foam.

I tried that years ago on a larger item I was shipping.Sprayed a trash bag full of foam but it never hardened due to not getting any air.

#10 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Our house is 1/2 mile from our rural mailbox cluster. Driveway is 400 feet long. Front fence line is 350 feet across the pasture. UPS has knocked our driveway arch down once-video surveillance camera saved our butts on that one, they denied it happened...until a copy was sent to their main office. Lost track of how many times FedEx and UPS have left deliveries on a fence post on the main road, tossed over the fence into the pasture, hanging on the front fence. And we have been told it would warrant a special delivery for them to drive to the house.

After a few not so cordial phone calls and notations placed with orders...we are somewhat compatible.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 12:04 AM

We have daily courier service to our house. Never any issues but we know it happens. A piece gets misdirected and handled numerous times wears on a carton. Always pack shipment to withstand a 6' drop,,that's how electronics are packaged.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 01:06 AM

My two cents.
USPS does well for most small to midsized packages. Often reasonably priced for the services.

UPS does well with everything medium up. The UPS driver knows us very well, great service.

FedEx doesn't give a rat's behind about their home delivery customers. I live in a small Main Street town where everyone knows your name and where you live. We are located 45 miles from the nearest FedEx distribution point. Numerous times our FedEx packages are not delivered for the following reasons that FedEx has provided: Can't find the address; Address provided was wrong; Customer not home (someone is here 90% of the time); Bad weather (if it snowed three days ago). Numerous calls have gotten us nowhere with FedEx. Mom watches the tracking closely on FedEx packages and each time these "excuses" show up in the tracking information the time of day is after 3 PM. Mom has confronted numerous FedEx delivery guys that didn't even come to the door when they finally did deliver the package, and several admitted that they never even made the effort to drive the hour each way to deliver the package. The bonus is that when they do come out you often see them drive back and forth a few times looking for our well marked house. And if you don't run out there and "flag them down" they will not deliver the package that day and put down "Customer not home". I personally had this happen to one of my packages that said "Out for delivery" on the tracking for three days in a row! I watched carefully for the truck the third day, and had a few words for him. Oh, and a bonus is that they don't even care if your are home or not, they usually just leave the package on the porch for all to see and drive off without ever knocking on the door. I cringe every time I see one of my packages coming FedEx, and usually ask people to ship things to me with UPS or USPS for these reasons.

Rant done.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, March 02, 2016 - 01:06 AM.

• Username, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 05:54 AM

Fedex in my area gives the packages to the USPS to do the home delivery parts. Our UPS guy is a great guy who has been delivering for long time. He knows everybody, which means that things don't get lost and the door bell gets wrung. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 02, 2016 - 05:55 AM.

• Bolens 1000, wvbuzzmaster and Username have said thanks

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 06:02 AM

I've had good and bad with almost all companies. Since we area  ways off the beaten path, some of the major carriers sub contract their deliveries to small local companies. Packaging at the senders end is also an issue. I have had lots of trouble with substitute drivers leaving my packages at the wrong addresses. I would say that is my biggest issue over the years. It has happened multiple times with different carriers.

• Username said thank you

#15 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:28 AM

USPS is my preferred carrier for small packages and flat rate shipments because they pickup for free.  They beat the living hell out of every single thing I receive though.  Sometimes I wonder if they actually try.  Many broken items, and rarely do I receive and undamaged box.  Often times they come with their special 'Damaged in shipment' yellow tape wrapped all over it.  Less than impressive...as are the recent rate hikes.

FedEx is just a joke.  Difficult to ship with because of proximity and cost, and we are on rural carrier #3.  #1 got moved to another route after driving complaints from neighbors and after a call from us when my wife watched him push a package from his truck to our garage door with his foot, while texting on the phone...in the snow.  #2 got fired (so we were told) after 2 damaged deliveries, the first of which my wife witnessed, the second of which she video'd on her phone.  #3 isn't a whole lot better.  We watched him push other customer's packages out of the back of his truck and to the ground one day, because my large package needed room to come through, despite me standing in the garage offering to give him a hand.  Unreal.

UPS rocks.  Reasonable, never any damage, and ALWAYS on my front porch, and placed out of view.  They have dropoff points everywhere, and offer pickup for a small fee.  Their online rate estimator has never been more than $2 off for my large shipments.  I almost feel 'good' about giving them my money.

Fastenal rocks too.  I've never had any damage, but I also take the time to palletize things correctly.  Freight is DIRT cheap, and they are super easy to use, but you do own the safety of your item.  This is economy freight distribution, and if it's not crated, expect something to get bruised and I woudn't whine when it does.  Their service has opened up the hobby for many of us.  I'm receiving two tractors this week that I would not have otherwise have had a chance to grab.  One from the east coast, one from out West.  Combined time for me to pick them up would be in the neighbor hood of a week, with sleep.  Total freight will be UNDER $300 to within 3 miles of my office.  I've shipped and received dozens of Fastenal loads...each year.  Awesome people, too.

Uship is a great option for a seller who can't/won't ship.  You will pay 2-3X or more than what Fastenal will ship for, but sometimes it's the only way.  I have had minor damage on all but 2 Uship shipments.  These guys are in a rush and if you want white glove service, you have to specify and pay up for it.  I also am then subject (as is the seller) to a wishy-washy pickup and delivery time frame, and cumbersome delivery that my neighbors probably enjoy watching with curiosity, and sometimes a shady carrier.  I've even had to go so far as to provide written testimony to a driver's negligence for another collector who paid for a load that was never received (or seen again).  Uship seems to be the biggest roll of the dice, and always my last option.

• wvbuzzmaster and Username have said thanks