• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • Member No: 81433
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hi. Sorry for the late response.  Do you have a price in mind ? Where are you located ?

Would this 80 still have the pulley and manual PTO shaft and clutch ?   

Thanks a lot for the response !!

• pick-to-stone said thank you

#17 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 04:37 PM

Hey Hi..Just wanted all to know that Josh Deaven provided the part needed for my Jacobsen Chief 800. Just have to put it all back together.

Thank you to everyone here for comments, offers of help, and listening to yet another tractor tale.

Glad I joined up here !ually the same as the original color.

By the way, I have discovered a VERY close Jacobsen Orange paint at the local home depot. Rust-o-leum engine enamel #248941 Chevy Orange.

Odd but true. As someone who paints, this spray can paint is virtually identical.  mpeck3

• KennyP and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#18 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:51 AM

UPDATE. the 800 is back together and running well

after some electrical issues.

currently the charged battery registers 13+volts. With key on, the ammeter drops to halfway negative. With start, ammeter moves a bit towards the right but still in negative zone. The battery registers 12.89 volts (or so). I am expecting a positive charge when engine is running we'll and smoothly.

Any thoughts on what I am missing or some deeper testing routine ?

Thanks   mpeck3IMG_1764.JPG

#19 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 12:48 PM

The amp meter might out of calibration one way to check this is with a volt meter check battery voltage with the tractor running. This should show a voltage of 13.2 to 14 volts average. A reading over 14 volts could be OK if it is right after starting the tractor but should drop back some as the battery is charged. If this is what you find then the amp meter is out of calibration but if the voltages are lower then this the voltage regulator or stator needs to be checked. The procedures for checking these is discussed in the Tractor Restoration Forum I think.

Charlie  

#20 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Thanks.  Will follow up.

The voltage during running does not rise above 12.89,

The generator has been rebuilt and new regulator added.  Polarized it all as recommended.

It feel as if the regulator is not switching the starter to generating, but have no real idea yet.

Mpeck3

#21 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Well… I checked all wiring and ground connections and they seem ok. Tractor starts up quickly and runs very well. Battery drops from 13+ volts to 12.89 after start. The reading across the Generator connections during run is 2.84. Saw  4.5 momentarily.

After a 15 minute run and engine shut down, the battery still reads 13.+ volts.

Re-polarized VR and Gen prior to starting.  Ammeter or voltagemeter. reads -10 at start but later was around -7 when restarting. During run it is at -5.

still not right.   Mpeck3

#22 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 12:11 PM

By the way, I checked out that charging fault/check diagram. Not sure if it applies if the ammeter shows a -10 with only key on. In the past, before all this mechanical/electro thing,  the drop was minimal.  mpeck3

#23 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 09:32 PM

There should not that big of a swing in the ammeter with just turning the key on. Turning the lights on or the PTO  might give that much draw. One way to trace this down is to start disconnecting equipment that has battery connected to it & watch the changes in the ammeter. Only 2 things are connected to the battery with turning the key on that would be the ignition coil & voltage regulator. With the key on battery is on the switches that are used for the lights & PTO. If all of this is disconnected & the ammeter still goes close to that reading then the only thing would be a pinched wire some place. 

Charlie

#24 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Will search for this "leak".  The lights are not on the tractor at the moment and the PTO is manual, so a wiring anomaly must exist. Thank you,   mpeck3

#25 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 23, 2016 - 04:20 PM

I think the wiring is sorted out. Checked it against the wiring diagram. The lighting wiring has been removed.

With key off., the battery is about 12.88

with key on, the ammeter needle still drops to -7 to -10. ohm reading at the coil is 10.40

With engine started, ammeter is at -5. Coil voltages reads 4 to 5. Reading at generator connections is 4.5 or so

with engine speeded up battery reads 12.44, coil 4 to 5 and generator 0.4

The ammeter drop does not happen when the coil / ignition wire is disconnected .  Generator will turn engine, but no start (of course)

still checking things again. 

#26 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 10:12 AM

I have run the tractor for about a half hour around the property and have found the ammeter to flutter in the negative initially and finally go to 0, so obviously, the charging system is doing something. Battery is fine, so I think fine tuning the VR is the key and also my greatest dread. A dug up some procedures on checking the VR, but since this unit in from India and not a Delco Remy, I cannot fully trust the numbers given.

One thing for sure is that the engine runs perfectly and seems more willing than ever to run. I barely turn the key to start and she is off to a nice idle.

Perhaps running it will "teach" the VR to adjust .  ???  mpeck3

Along the way I have been repainting and cleaning up panels and parts so the 800 is really looking darn fresh. Bless that chevy orange engine paint !

Next, I have to repaint the rims. Deciding on whether to have them sandblasted or doing it myself is another decision.  Rust o leum almond ( there are several )

of the right tint is almost a perfect match for the original "light" color on the Jacobsens. Not fully professional result, but then it is a home tractor used almost daily, especially when using the stickler wood splitter and in winter to blow the snow.

#27 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 03:48 PM

Hi all…. The Chief 800 is now generating power perfectly !!!  The rebuilt GS and the correct VR were installed this morning after one more wiring check.

For whatever reason, the VR I had bought earlier, that did not work as recently tested by Kinne electric in Manchester NH, looks exactly like the NEW one Kinne found for me. The lesson is you can't do it alone ! Without the professional testing of the generator and regulator  as a whole, I would still be in the dark. Also, just because a part looks right proves nothing until it does what it is supposed to do.

So, the engine and electrics are fine, the PTO system is fine, and much "restoration" painting and detailing has been done. FEEL GOOD like a GT SHOULD !  M

Attached Thumbnails

• TINTIN CAR copy LINE.jpg

• KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#28 mpeck3 OFFLINE  

mpeck3
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 08:50 PM

All back together and running really well.

Attached Thumbnails

• JACOBSEN CHIEF 800 1.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:51 AM

Nice looking 800!

• mpeck3 said thank you

#30 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:59 AM

I missed the post that you got the s/g working right .Glad that its all fixed now. Your tractor is sweet !
  • mpeck3 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clutch pulley, jacobsen, chief 800