5 replies to this topic

#1 EXFFPM OFFLINE  

EXFFPM

• Member No: 3047
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 03:04 AM

Greetings!

In urgent need of a "tractor" to mow the lawn of my soon to be new (to me) home, 3/4 acre of lawn, lakefront with mild slope in Western Washington. I am new to this and am desperately seeking a consensus on what to buy. Can't forsee needing any implements save for a trailer and possibly a grass collector. I want a solid, well built "GT/LT?", used or new, shaft drive, iron case & axle, pressure oil and maybe all wheel steer? These are things I have picked up from hours of reading these forums, so bear with me if a machine with all of these things isn't available in one machine. Just looking for a single suggestion for exactly what you would suggest for my application.

Thank you in advance....much appreciated!

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 04:38 AM

EXFFPM,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

Good luck on getting a tractor.
I don't know if you will find an all wheel steer with cast iron trans axle case,as I think most of those are aluminum .

Bolens has some nice tought built older none all wheel steer tractors with shaft drive and case iron case,as does Cub Cadet,Massey Ferguson,Ford/Jacobsen,and many more.

Edited by mjodrey, May 01, 2011 - 05:06 AM.

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 06:23 AM

My recommendation is stay away from the new ones, I used to have a 2006 John Deere and it was totally inferior to any of my GTs now. The newest of which is about a 1984. Sounds like what might really fit you nicely is a 200 series John Deere, my avatar is a 214. Or a 300 series Wheel Horse. Welcome to GT Talk btw. Nice to have you!
muddy 214-2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• wh 310.jpg

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hi and welcome.

Congratulations on your new home purchase. As notes by Maynard cast iron is not used much these days in GT's except in the front axles. As far as AWS goes there are a few choices in the new tractors but they tend to be expensive. Kubota makes a couple of AWS/AWD models -a gas and diesel version if memory serves me. Also John Deere makes a few AWS models. I am sure other brands do as well. I got to try out a JDX748 that belonged to a friend of mine. I was simply amazed at the maneuverability and power that this tractor has. It is truly a revelation to use one of these. They are very expensive but the comfort/power and ease of use is off the chart. If you get a chance to try one - take it and see what is possible given enough money.
Sometimes you can find the Kubota's used but they are not common. There are lots of choices for solid older GT's. JD, MF , Bolens ,Cub Cadet, Case etc. all made very solid machines. The problem with older machines is you often have no maintenance history. If you can find one that was well maintained and that has good parts availability then you can get a reliable heavy duty machine for much less than buying new. Do some research on common wear parts and their availability/cost. Older machines need to be gone over thoroughly and rebuilt, repaired etc. to give you something that is reliable. This can be costly, but doing it up front will prevent breakdowns later on. Getting as much information as possible about the alternatives at forums like this is an excellent start.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 09:11 PM

:wave: Exffpm Welcome to GTTalk! We're glad that you're here. Unfortunately, you'll get as many answers to this question as there are tractor brands! I can say that if you are looking for a 4 wheel steer unit, don't! They are great as long as they work, but are a maintenance and repair nightmare when they don't. If you're a DIY kinda guy, go with something simpler. Many of the older GT's and LT's have an impressive turning radius without it. Also if you are cutting a slope, you'll probably want a unit the has a pressurized oil system in the engine (look for an oil filter). The splash lubed engines do not hold up as well when all the oil is one way or the other in the pan! As has been said above, do your homework (which it seems you are doing) and choose one that has the features you want and that you like! Best of luck with your search.

#6 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 04:54 AM

I agree with CaseGuy on the AWS, I meant to mention that before...