25 replies to this topic

#1 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:13 PM

I'm thinking about building a storage rack to store my machines and not take up so much space. If I can make this happen I could double maybe triple my collection. of corse when I told the wife she gave me that look, .you know the one, that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up!! No matter what , it will definitely made room in the shop.
This is a ruff idea of what I'm thinking.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#2 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:22 PM

I know one collector of LFs up in Canada who has a couple tractor racks in his shop. It is a big time eye catcher!
Great idea!

Edited by AA Hayes, February 29, 2016 - 09:22 PM.

• boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:29 PM

Would love to see how he did it. I'm thinking metal frame with wood decks.
  • boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Unfortunately he doesn't live close, and I didn't take good not of it. Was to busy drewlling on everything else. It was my first time seeing so many LFs and attachments I had never seen.

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:52 PM

I'm envious of the HEIGHT you have!  I only have a 9' ceiling in my shop, so a second level is all I get.  That makes it cheap and easy though...I can use my tractor mounted fork lift, and was able to put 16' of 4' deep steel pallet racks for only a couple Jefferson's, thanks to Craigslist.

• boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 10:00 PM

When you run out of room below the only way to go is up :D

Many of the "Hard core" collectors with alot of machines, of all brands seem to have racks to store an upper row of machines.

Remember to post pics !!!!

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 10:35 PM

How big is your tractor you use to lift you machines? I have a JD 1050 that might do it.

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 12:34 AM

I'm about to go down a different road but with the same result. I have to make some room in my garage and need a place to store some of my restored tractors.  I thought about a large shed which would set me back a few thou then thought about another option I think I may go with. An enclosed trailer it would kill two birds, a place to store four GTs and the ability to take them to shows without having to worry about them being damaged during travel. So I'm going tomorrow to take a peek, I have researched them and compared a lot of them . There's more to it than it seems they may look the same but they are far from being the same and their cost reflects that difference. Hank

Edited by HANKG, March 01, 2016 - 12:37 AM.

• MH81, LPBolens, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#9 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 04:16 AM

This is one I made about 7/8 years ago which takes 10 tractors, 5 on the floor and 5 on the platform. I have since made a second one and I am currently trying to think where I can put another.

Iain

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0263.JPG

Edited by slf-uk, March 01, 2016 - 04:17 AM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#10 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:07 AM

I'm about to go down a different road but with the same result. I have to make some room in my garage and need a place to store some of my restored tractors. I thought about a large shed which would set me back a few thou then thought about another option I think I may go with. An enclosed trailer it would kill two birds, a place to store four GTs and the ability to take them to shows without having to worry about them being damaged during travel. So I'm going tomorrow to take a peek, I have researched them and compared a lot of them . There's more to it than it seems they may look the same but they are far from being the same and their cost reflects that difference. Hank

Post you findings with regards to which brand of trailer you decide to go with, I was leaning towards the enclosed trailer option for storage myself.

I was considering a 6x12 and did notice ALOT of competition with wide ranging pricing.
  • Alc and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Only thing I can see is the single cable  lifting at four corners.  That attachment point is also a swivel point.  The platform with a tractor on it can tip and tilt every which way.  You need 4 pulleys at the top and back, then tie into the single main cable to your winch.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Post you findings with regards to which brand of trailer you decide to go with, I was leaning towards the enclosed trailer option for storage myself.

I was considering a 6x12 and did notice ALOT of competition with wide ranging pricing.

Hi Robert,I'm not sure you noticed the one I have here when you were down,it's 6x16,not sure what your going to pull it with,if I had it to do over again, I would have got one 20',also would have gotten a 6'6" tall,mine is 6',I bought a Car Mate when I bought my new car trailer,little more money but a lot better built,as far as my enclosed trailer I debated on what to do for the interior,OSB or plywood,talked to a bunch of people and most said get the OSB,would hold up better,they had issues with the plywood separating,reguardless I primed and painted all the wood inside,now the floor is plywood,no issues at all,also I recommend getting a V nose,it makes for a little more storage in the front,justmy thoughts

• LPBolens, WrenchinOnIt, sodisr and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Right now I'm driving an outback which can tow a 6x12 (at the limit) but can't do more. I don't want to upgrade to a gas guzzling truck, the outback allow me to drive all over fairly economically.
So is your enclosed trailer a car mate? Or is that your other open trailer?
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#14 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Right now I'm driving an outback which can tow a 6x12 (at the limit) but can't do more. I don't want to upgrade to a gas guzzling truck, the outback allow me to drive all over fairly economically.
So is your enclosed trailer a car mate? Or is that your other open trailer?

My open trailer is a Car Mate
  • Chubien said thank you

#15 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 10:10 PM

I like you design and wish I had tall ceilings to stack them 3 tall. Here is how I did something similar. I got lucky and found someone selling used pallet racking on CL. Then for the shelves I used 2x6's and sheets of plywood. For now this is just a temporary setup until after we move.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04832.JPG

• WrenchinOnIt, Rainier and Chubien have said thanks