starting issues with 165 hydro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rmaffit OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2866
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 11:06 PM

my 165 hydro has a 12.5 hp Kawasaki engine. if i let it set for a week i have a hard time getting it started. usually runs the battery down. also if i jump start it after having a hard time getting it started .it will puff out some blue smoke. but if i start the tractor every couple of days it starts fine and no puff of blue smoke. any help / info would be greatly appreciated. thank you

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Welcome to GT talk first of all. I am thinking it sounds like you are leaking oil somewhere that you shouldn't be. Next time you try to start it choke it then put the idle down fairly low then try that again. If that helps your problem you might have a lower seal that is bad. If not I would guess your rings need to be replaced.

#3 Bentwrench OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3162
  • 21 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 10:30 AM

Sounds just like my old 185 that I just retired. My guess is if put a new sparkplug in and make sure the battery is charged it will start, this time. And then get worse each time due to an oil fouled plug. Last time I used mine it still wasn't smoking that you see but the plug would be slick, oil, blakened after each use.