• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:07 PM

Was down to my last mini-tube of blue grease for the one-handed little one, unscrewed the top, pulled plunger back and locked it in the notch, pulled old cartridge out, foil off end of new one, correct end into barrel first, top screwed on, released the plunger...10 good squeezes, nothing. Locked the plunger, opened it up, all looked good, went to put barrel back on the head...bingo! The plunger slipped out of the notch and the last morsel of blue grease on the property squirted out onto the sand=unusable.

Long story short: Does anyone know of an outlet for decent oil cans and grease guns?

These RK, TSC and HF types are crap. I know of people who still use the ones from 50's and 60's and they are flawless. Not like the pot metal, far east-or where ever-junk seen so much today.

• Traill95, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:10 PM

I would go to an industrial supply house. If there is industry in your area, find out where they buy.
Generally speaking, maintenance guys will push to have decent tools and the company normally sees the value in productive time.
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:25 PM

I would go to an industrial supply house. If there is industry in your area, find out where they buy.
Generally speaking, maintenance guys will push to have decent tools and the company normally sees the value in productive time.

LOL...Industry! 20 years ago, there was somewhat of decent industry base here. Then the County big wigs decided to jockey things around. Industry closed up and went elsewhere. Nothing here now worthwhile. As a for-instance. Went to an Ace Hardware store the other day. Out of, what I saw, 10 employees, not one had a clue what a shackle was.,,after looking on my own, an entire display of them was found.

Was glad it wasn't a real technical piece I needed.

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 01:19 AM

The best sources of good quality tools now are garage sales and flea markets. You can still find the old ones.

The real old grease guns (when I was a kid) were a pain. Grease came in 5 gallon buckets and you filled the grease gun using a putty knife to top off the gun. Sometimes you could stick the main barrel into the grease and then pull the "t" handle out and lock it. This would suck a bunch of the grease out of the bucket into the gun. Grease was alot thicker then and it took some strength to be able to do that. The newer cartridges are much faster and neater. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc, dodge trucker, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 06:48 AM

they still sell the thicker grease, like was around when you were a kid, just need to know where to get it.  When I worked at the steel mill I was the "greaser" for a while. we used a "00" viscosity in the winter for the outside rolls, and a "2" in the summer.

• boyscout862, chieffan and Phluphy have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Grease guns are slowly becoming obsolete as all the newer equipment have grease banks on them.  Grease the entire machine from the cab while operating.  A farm sale is your best bet.  I picked up one nice one for $5 and for another $5 I got 4 more.  All worked but one.  Air operated are ok as long as you can see the old grease come out.  If the zerk or internals are plugged it will still cycle and no grease will come out.  Also watch the thin plastic cartridges.  They have a tendency to fold on the end so the plunger don't push the grease out.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Phluphy have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:19 AM

I had one of those mini's for years and was good one. Bought another not long ago and the threads for the tube to lock into the top part won't stay in anymore. I go to use after loading and whole tube pops off and the grease falls to floor in big ball. Figured I just screwed in wrong. After two more tubes blow out, threw it aside. I have trigger type guns in cheap ones that don't work, then bought a $45 one from local auto supply store and it is much better made. Not sure Where made, but is much heavier and does the job with no problems. I might go back and see what they have for small one too. Have to pay big $$ now days to get better stuff.

• boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 01:55 PM

I had one of those mini's for years and was good one. Bought another not long ago and the threads for the tube to lock into the top part won't stay in anymore. I go to use after loading and whole tube pops off and the grease falls to floor in big ball. Figured I just screwed in wrong. After two more tubes blow out, threw it aside. I have trigger type guns in cheap ones that don't work, then bought a $45 one from local auto supply store and it is much better made. Not sure Where made, but is much heavier and does the job with no problems. I might go back and see what they have for small one too. Have to pay big $$ now days to get better stuff.

Agree. Think I'll arrange for a trip to the local flea market, may get lucky on finding an older, made in U.S.A., version.

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 03:47 PM

Just like our old tractors nothing made now is any good.

#10 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 03:48 PM

There is a junk store up the road from my house the guy has a pile of older grease guns for 5 bucks a piece. Id pick you one up. But not sure what a good one would be they are all older ones just not sure if old enough to be good

#11 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 05:25 PM

Use vice grips the notches never work.