Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vivaldi Browser - What Chrome once was and Google free!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Ducky, in the future if you will do a custom partitioning of your hdd and split 'Home' off on it's own partition you can replace the OS with out a complete reinstall.

How does that happen?

#17 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 11:43 PM

How does that happen?

I think I can figure that out but I need to actually do it before I can tell you how.  It is basically done during the install I believe.  Another way would be to use clonezilla and part the drive and THEN the install the OS to the part of your chose.

HELP me Bill!

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#18 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 08:58 AM

I think I can figure that out but I need to actually do it before I can tell you how.  It is basically done during the install I believe.  Another way would be to use clonezilla and part the drive and THEN the install the OS to the part of your chose.

HELP me Bill!

Your right Ducky.  You can do it as you are installing the OS, just choose to create your own partitions instead of taking the default choices the OS selects.  The Clonezilla or any OS that has the option using Gparted.  You can also set what file system you want to use.  Once you all get some experience you can learn about ZFS and BTRFS  both advance file systems that allow you take snapshots of your system plus several other cool tools. Note: Not all OS's can use the advanced file system so check first.

Also if you know you are going to install another OS on your computer you can plan for it as well and then when you do install that OS the drive is already set and waiting for it.

PS: As always back up you date before attempting to do anything thing with the drive.

• ducky said thank you