#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:42 PM

so I couldn't help my self and went to pick this up today, the guy selling was very nice and we had a great chat.  how did I do ??  I think I did ok on this but I do have a few concerns, the two decks I got are different but the same.  I think one may be a replacement as it looks beefier than the other, the one deck that is complete has some sort of a home made bracket on the front , I really think they got into trouble with the deck and broke it all to heck then cobbed it back together.  the gear box on the rite also seems to have something wrong with it, there is a weld repair on the aluminum gearbox, I assume these are supposed to be timed together as they are fixed gear boxes and the blades will hit but the one side blade turns free of the driveshaft, got to look into it a little more.

The tractor, blade, plow and trailer all look really nice. nothing I can see wrong with any of that and I got all the little bits and pieces to mount everything, the trailer is manufactured by tee nee trailer corp for speedex ?? has a speedex decal on the gate.  well here you go with the pics, give me your honest thoughts.  I am gonna try to get the tractor running tomorrow.

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG
  • 007.JPG
  • 008.JPG
  • 010.JPG
  • 011.JPG
  • 012.JPG
  • 014.JPG

• DougT, Alc, David Brown and 4 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:45 PM

I've been waiting for these pics all day, Pete. Nice Speedex and a great pile of attachments! I see a york rake in the pile, nice!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:48 PM

Good haul Pete, nice machine.

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:57 PM

the York rake is a home made job, really well made.  that thing it a tank and should work great but doesnt belong to the speedex.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 09:19 PM

The bracket on the front of the deck looks factory.  Without going out to look at mine I'd say its the same.

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 888 Thanks
  • 496 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Welcome to the Speedex club.  IIRC he was asking $500.  I think you did OK, and if it gets going easily you'll have done very well.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 01:19 AM

Decks, many ways to drive and mount, even on same models. There is a deck manual, yet hard to see details for each mount style. Have to pick-out yours go from there. Belts go up outside or just inside frames or other ways. Blades timed. I have maybe couple cases, a gear or two in one IF all the same, you can have for shipping. Have to really Soak shafts And, No big hammers used. Check here for man's or at www.speedextractorinformation.org or close for more. Yours says 1040, but also looks more like late S23 or even 1630 style. I'll look for my deck manual. Might also have front swivel mount for deck if needed. That is right front mount. Should be big pin on mount bolted below where engine slides or axle pivots. Some break off.

Edited by glgrumpy, February 29, 2016 - 01:23 AM.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Looks like a nice grab. As "grouchy" :D  said, the decks mounts came in different configurations from the factory.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 06:19 PM

Well that was easy !!!  I played around a bit tonight.  put a battery jump box on it and the starter kicked rite in so I sprayed a little carb cleaner in there and pop!!!  is was of and running.  put fuel in the tank and hit the starter and it fired right up, I will need to remove the engine and clean out the tinwork as a bunch of crap came blowing out and the carb will need to be cleaned as it wont idle correctly and runs itself out of gas when at Hi rev.

Trans seems ok but the shifter seems to be really loose, about the only complaint I have is the way the drive clutch works, I need to have a look at it because it seems to be either incorrectly adjusted or worn out somehow.

Pete

• retired1990 said thank you

#10 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 888 Thanks
  • 496 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Sounds like you're well on your way.

#11 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 04:52 AM

Good for you Pete, glad you went and got it ! good luck with it !

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Clutch is just a moving pulley on belt, right?  Think if old belt, might be more ON/OFF until you get it limber and the  pulleys may all be rusty too. There isn't much playing with the clutch on these, just kinda Goes when you let out on pedal.

#13 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:52 AM

So I have it running and been playing around a bit with it but just can't seem to get to the point where I like it. Got to fix the shifter then I think I am going to put it back up for sale. Take it to zagray and see if I get any decent offers.
Pete