• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:22 PM

I saw this Cub for sale a couple of weeks ago for 650. I passed on it and forgot about it. The electric lift assembly was missing and replaced with a manual lift. The tractor was repainted at some point and looks to be in pretty good shape. I came across the tractor again and decided to talk to the owner. He said that the tractor ran great and everything worked. I asked him if he would take 500 for it and he said yes and that he would drop it off for me. I gave him a few bucks for gas, since it would have cost me to go pick it up anyway. We talked for quite a while when he came over, and he told me that the guy he bought it from last year was the original owner and he took very good care of it. The tractor fired right up and sounded great! He backed it off the trailer and parked it in the driveway. After he left I looked the tractor over and everything looked good. The steering had some play, so I adjusted the steering box, pumped it full of grease, and 90% of the play disappeared. The pinned steering arm on the spindle is tight and that surprised me. I just have to change out the tie rod ends since there is a little play in them. I changed the engine oil, topped off the hi-trans oil in the rear and rode it around a bit. The tractor feels real solid, but the rattling from the hood was annoying. The right front corner of the hood was broken where the hood mount bolt passes through. I removed the hood and welded it back together. I touched up the paint where I welded it and put the hood back on...what a difference! I had a new muffler and seat that I bought for when I restore my 147 with the Johnson loader, so I put them on this tractor. The tractor only came with a mower deck, but I have a snow/dirt plow, a QA-36 snow thrower, another deck, and a York rake, and a Sims cab from another 147 that I bought from my Uncle a while back. I never did get to use the attachments, since I robbed the hood, engine, and rear fenders from the 147 from my Uncle to use on the loader.
I decided to dig out the plow and mount it on the tractor and go work on fixing the driveway. All I had to do is make some minor carb adjustments, since it sputtered a little under load. With that squared away, the tractor worked flawlessly for the hour I spent working on the driveway. The charging system works well and so does the amp gauge. I have an electric lift, but I need to replace the spiroid gear and install a refurb kit. That will be about 150 in parts, so I'll wait on that. The manual lift actually works great with the plow, so I may just leave that in place. I'm going to get one of the decks up to snuff and mow with this machine this summer. These 147 Cubs are by far one of my favorite machines.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160227_160103-1.jpg
  • 20160228_142950.jpg
  • 20160228_151506-1.jpg
  • 20160228_173039-1.jpg
  • 20160227_175153-1.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 255 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Lookin good
  • classic said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I found this pic online and this is the exact same cab that came with the Cub 147 that I got from my Uncle. I have all of the snap in canvas panels, but I think I'm going to fab up hard doors and a back panel with safety glass windows. The cab as is isn't very rigid and I don't like the plastic windows. A bolt on rigid back panel with a safety glass window should stiffen it up quite a bit. It will be nice to have a cab for once for next winter and it will be a fun project for over the summer.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0777.jpg

• Alc, chris m and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:54 PM

...but I need to replace the spiroid gear...

Any leads? I also am in need of one for the Sears.

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 01:36 AM

Bmerf, I've seen the spiroid gears and pinion shaft for sale for the Cub actuators, but I don't know where to find them for the Sears actuators. I have no Idea if the gears are the same for the Cub and Sears actuators. These actuators are expensive to rebuild and the spiroid gear and pinion shaft are close to 200.00 for the pair. The refresh kit which includes bearings, bushings, brakes, etc. is another 50.00. If the electric motor is shot, that would be another expense. I do plan on rebuilding mine, but I won't be using it. I will save it in case I decide to retire and restore the tractor down the road. I may install a ported hydro trans and install a hydraulic piston from a later model if I get tired of the manual lift.
  • Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:02 AM

there is one that has been for sale on the local CL for (now) $400 that started out on there for around $650 last summer,

dont look too bad, supposed to only need a battery and a gas tank.

• classic said thank you

#7 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Sweet looking 147, the seat and and the touch up really helped! Typical "half moon" wear at the exhaust tip and the hem of the hood, I see that a lot due to worn hood mount and no spacer between the muffler mount and heat shield. I know the 147 was the first model in it's series that came standard with lights but I question the electric lift if it was standard. I too have brought home several 147's that had manual lift, one had the spring lift assist but all had the electric lift mount on the frame. I know lights and hydraulic lift came standard on my 149. I got a International cab on my 149 with the curtain doors and plastic rear window, in the cold the canvas and plastic gets real stiff so I am careful as possible to enter/exit trying not to crack any of the plastic on the door's. I remove all of the canvas about mid spring but leave the rest of the cab on the tractor. You got me wondering about the electric lift, option or standard, I need to research just to satisfy my curiosity.
  • classic said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:28 AM

I have a bunch of manuals that my Uncle gave me when I bought the 147 off of him. From what I'm reading, the 147 came standard with the electric lift. I bet many 147 tractors were converted to the manual lift over the years when the electric lift failed. Eventually I'll repair the hood mounting holes so that the muffler will clear, and I do believe that the spacer for the muffler bracket is missing. Thanks for the tip BNK!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160229_091151-1.jpg
  • 20160229_091941-1.jpg

• BNK said thank you

#9 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Well that says it all! Now I know...thanks for posting that.

• classic said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 01, 2016 - 02:03 AM

You're welcome BNK. I got curious myself and had to find out what was standard equipment and what was optional equipment. I like thumbing through the old paperwork!
  • BNK said thank you

#11 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted April 20, 2016 - 10:58 AM

Congrats on a nice 147. Sounds like it's in great shape for the year. Same body style as my 106.

Hows the GardenM'ster doing these days?

• classic said thank you

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 10:19 AM

The Gard,n Mast'r sits as I left it last fall, but I will be getting back to that project shortly. I recently picked up a valve seat cutter kit, so I can finally assemble the Gard'n Mast'r engine and the engine for my '56 Economy tractor that I've been working on lately. I want to get the Economy done first, since I plan on using it a lot. I found quite a few new and used parts for the Economy, and I've been working on it as I find the time. The spring yard work is keeping me busy lately, I've been using a Gibson tractor and a Baird Beaver tractor to haul brush, leaves, rocks, etc.away. I get a kick out of using these old machines for this type of work. I'm almost done rounding up the parts to rebuild a Wisconsin AHH that I found locally. This engine will go on the Gibson for now, and I'll save and eventually rebuild the original AEH on the Gibson down the road. I have a few more other garden tractor projects on top of all this, but I basically work on what I feel like working on at the time, and sometimes I'm just waiting to locate a hard to find part. The complete tear down and rebuilds of these old tractors really soak up the time. I've gotten a lot deeper into this hobby than I originally planned on, but I'm having a good time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150916_094638-1.jpg
  • 20160422_122645-1.jpg
  • 20160320_183648-1-1-1.jpg
  • 20160406_165321-1.jpg