Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Looking at an A/C "B" w/FEL & Cultivator--What is the good, the bad, the ugly?

allis chalmers model b cultivator

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 04:23 PM

I'm looking at buying an Allis Chalmers Model B with a Front End Loader, and Cultivator.  I'm wanting something to use to cultivate the garden spot since I haven't been able to keep the weeds under control...The wife and I are getting too old to hand hoe it (and don't have the time anyway).

So, I run across this little Allis.  The owner doesn't know what year it is, and can't read the serial number on the boss near the gear shift.

It has a mag, and the rear PTO also has a flat belt pulley coming out the left side.  It also has the pre-3ph Allis Chalmers Hitch (not sure what to call it).

It supposedly ran when parked several years ago, and has been in a barn the whole time. The owner said he couldn't get it to turn over with the starter... so I don't know if it's froze up, or what. The tires are starting to crack near the bead, not sure how deep or serious it is.

The owner's asking $650 for just the tractor and FEL, and $100 for the cultivator. FWIW, this is actually pretty cheap for this type tractor with the loader and cultivator--running or not.  Ford 8Ns sell for $1,500 to $2,500 with just a trip lever bucket, or maybe no FEL, just a scraper blade.

I've done some reading up on these machines... parts seem to be fairly available, though the magneto is over $400 if they go bad... not sure what the cap costs.

It doesn't have live PTO, which is probably not a big problem--I may try to Bush Hog with it, but I'll just get the overrunning clutch if I do.

It has quite a bit more clearance than my Mahindra Max 25, which is why I'm interested.

I'm not real familar with the Allis Chalmers machines--can anyone tell me a little more about them--their strong points, weak points, things to look for when I go look at the machine (It's 3 hours away).

I don't want another long-term project as I have several right now... would like to get it running enough to cultivate a 60 x 50 foot garden spot... we'll mainly have potatoes in it, so I'll want something that can ride the furrows and not take the tops off the plants when they're starting to grow...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Utah Smitty

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis Chalmers Model B.jpg
  • AC B Cultivator.jpg
  • AC B Operator  Matt.jpg
  • AC B RR Matt lightened.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 04:30 PM

for $500 you really cant go wrong, those a fairly basic tractors and durable to boot.  if it were closer to me I would have it just to fix and re-sell I say go for it !!!  my only concern would be the tires, they can get real expensive real fast but they are a pretty common size on there so if they cant be tubed then a used set should not be to hard to find.

Pete

• Utah Smitty, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Its not a "B".  From the pic it looks to be a "C" with 3 speed.  If you get lucky and it has a 4 speed its a "CA".   CA's have live PTO but again,  I think thats a "C" without.

With the adjustable wide front being worth the asking price its a real no-brainer. 

The engine block is broken - they all are and it doesn't hurt anything.  They break between the cylinders and you can't see it unless you remove the head.  They don't leak antifreeze or compression when broken.  

The tractors were built good.  I have 2 "C's" and other than wear in the steering box I don't know of anything to look for. 

Good luck and go get it!

"B" has a narrow[er] rear end and spline-mount rear wheels.  The front axle was a high-arch, non adjustable.

"C" has wider rear axle housings because they were usually narrow front but the adjustable wide front was an option.  "C" has standard looking 5 bolt rear wheels.

The one rear tire visable in the pics looks pretty good.  Tractors have such slow speeds the tires can have lots of weather cracking and it doesn't hurt a thing.  "Cs" 3 speed has a top speed of 7MPH

Allis's version of the 3point was a "Snap-Coupler".  The extra parts on the rear are part of the cultivator lift but not a snap coupler.

Edited by Gtractor, February 28, 2016 - 05:29 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Utah Smitty and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:31 PM

for $500 you really cant go wrong, those a fairly basic tractors and durable to boot.  if it were closer to me I would have it just to fix and re-sell I say go for it !!!  my only concern would be the tires, they can get real expensive real fast but they are a pretty common size on there so if they cant be tubed then a used set should not be to hard to find.

Pete

Thanks, Pete.

I'm sure I could resell it and make a little money on it, but I'm hoping it'll run so I can use it to cultivate with.  I have several GT projects already that are in various stages of dis- or re-assembly... hopefully this one won't be a long-term project.

Smitty

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:35 PM

Its not a "B".  From the pic it looks to be a "C" with 3 speed.  If you get lucky and it has a 4 speed its a "CA".   CA's have live PTO but again,  I think thats a "C" without.

With the adjustable wide front being worth the asking price its a real no-brainer. 

The engine block is broken - they all are and it doesn't hurt anything.  They break between the cylinders and you can't see it unless you remove the head.  They don't leak antifreeze or compression when broken.  

The tractors were built good.  I have 2 "C's" and other than wear in the steering box I don't know of anything to look for. 

Good luck and go get it!

"B" has a narrow[er] rear end and spline-mount rear wheels.  The front axle was a high-arch, non adjustable.

"C" has wider rear axle housings because they were usually narrow front but the adjustable wide front was an option.  "C" has standard looking 5 bolt rear wheels.

The one rear tire visable in the pics looks pretty good.  Tractors have such slow speeds the tires can have lots of weather cracking and it doesn't hurt a thing.  "Cs" 3 speed has a top speed of 7MPH

Allis's version of the 3point was a "Snap-Coupler".  The extra parts on the rear are part of the cultivator lift but not a snap coupler.

Thanks, Kris

That explains why the rear wheels are 72" side to side... much wider than the "B".  IIRC, they both use the same engine, drivetrain, with the possible exception of the 4 speed vs 3 speed transmission.

I'm curious, how did you know the engine was broken--just by experience, or was there some visual clue in the pictures?

Regards,

Smitty

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:42 PM

For that price, I would buy it before it's gone.

Noel
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:56 PM

I'd think the loader would sell for $650, so hard to see how you'd lose money.  Some penetrating oil in the cylinders for a couple days and you might get real lucky.

I don't know anything about the model but it looks like a lot of tractor for a 30x50 plot.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 06:14 PM

IT is a "C" model for sure, the "CA" had the hand clutch built into the right side axle housing, this one has straight housings. They are great little tractors for truck farmers for just what you want to do with it. It may be stuck, but I would doubt that it's more then lightly stuck.  Tires are fairly common and easy to find at salvage yards around here.

• Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Thanks, Kris

I'm curious, how did you know the engine was broken--just by experience, or was there some visual clue in the pictures?

Regards,

Smitty

They are all broken.  Decades ago one of my "Cs" started getting water in the oil suddenly.  I tore into it and found a rusted through freeze plug in the head [the cause of the leak] and the cracks in the block.  I called a large tractor salvage yard looking for a block and the guy said: "You'll never find one thats not cracked 'cause they all cracked.  Put the freeze plug in and put it back together - it'll be fine."   Thats what I did and he was right.  They are sleeved engines so there is not a problem from the cracks. 

Again,  you can't see the cracks until the head is off.   Its between the cylinders.

• MH81, Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 12:23 AM

I'd think the loader would sell for $650, so hard to see how you'd lose money.  Some penetrating oil in the cylinders for a couple days and you might get real lucky.

I don't know anything about the model but it looks like a lot of tractor for a 30x50 plot.

It's pretty big for the plot... we have some room to expand if we want, but I've had such a battle controlling weeds that I haven't wanted to--we actually cut back from what we did the first year.  We planted 45 lbs of seed potatoes and harvested almost 700 pounds--all hand dug.  The next year we planted a lot of melon and squash and fewer potatoes, only to have deer make a smorgasbord out of it...

Last year was a disaster... too many weeds,  I tried to water by irrigation down the furrows and the plants withered and the weeds triumphed...

The biggest advantage of this tractor is it has higher ground clearance than my other tractor-- a Mahindra Max 25, or any of my GTs, which include a Case 444, an Ariens GT20, a Cub Cadet 1862, and a couple Ford LGTs...

Thanks for your comments,

Smitty

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#11 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 312 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 01:59 AM

Buy it, the problem with all a/c B,C,CA,IB ect 1.9-2.0L engines is the exhaust manifold, the exhaust pipe sets lose in the manifold and held in with little more than a ,set screw (bolt), every drop of rain that touch's the exhaust pipe runs right by this poor design, tin can's and flapper's are not enough for these tractor's, the tractor is a C with optional B front end (not offered on earlier B models)and is no newer than 1949, CA's started in 1950 and were much heavier in back with 4 speed, hand clutch,power adjust rims and hydraulics, this same adjustable front end can be found on CA's and fits all model's except 1937,very good tractors and easy to get parts for,the hardest pulling 2050lb.tractor of its day (and I'm a red guy)the price is fair with the FEL,check the cultivators good, C and CA's had left side right side and rear, B's had belly, can't see enough in pic's to tell if correct,some things made to fit work great and some things just give fit's, hope this helps

#12 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 01:56 PM

I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat!!!!!!!   I have a "C" with the single front wheel

Edited by crittersf1, March 03, 2016 - 01:57 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: allis chalmers, model b, cultivator