Garden Tractor Forums banner

FCVAEC W. PA PLOW DAY updated with pics

5K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  Username 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Plow Day is closing in for our club.
May 7th at the intersection of I-80 and PA173
There is a PDF to download at the bottom of our Club website.
FCVAEC.org
We have it Rain or Shine.
Plowing by Tractors, Garden Tractors, and usually a couple teams of horses
Thresherman's Luncheon too!

Hope to see you there!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Folks this is a really nice day. The people are great, the host family is wonderful and the plowing is very good. I can't think of a better way to spend the day. I look forward to this one every year. I hope to bring a show tractor along with my plowing rig this year. Maybe put it in the "guess what it is" spot unless Jeff came up with another one.

#3 ·
I have had this event marked on my desk calendar quite awhile. My son George ( NUTNDUN ) and I have attended this plow day several times since meeting Alan ( MH81 ) and Steve ( Caseguy ) who are members of the club at the PA PLOW DAY a few years back. One year my late wife Linda and I went to the club's Plow Day , just in our car to get pictures for the website and enjoy the lunch for which she made macaroni salad that I had taken to previous Plow Days. Not having brought a tractor to plow with, Alan generously left me plow with his big Massey. It brought back memories of plowing at the small farm my Dad bought many years ago.Hopefully we can make this year's Plow Day. It's about a 260 mile drive from our place, but well worth the drive to see some great folks.

#4 ·
I have had this event marked on my desk calendar quite awhile. My son George ( NUTNDUN ) and I have attended this plow day several times since meeting Alan ( MH81 ) and Steve ( Caseguy ) who are members of the club at the PA PLOW DAY a few years back. One year my late wife Linda and I went to the club's Plow Day , just in our car to get pictures for the website and enjoy the lunch for which she made macaroni salad that I had taken to previous Plow Days. Not having brought a tractor to plow with, Alan generously left me plow with his big Massey. It brought back memories of plowing at the small farm my Dad bought many years ago.Hopefully we can make this year's Plow Day. It's about a 260 mile drive from our place, but well worth the drive to see some great folks.
You might want to study the plow day poster carefully :D

#5 ·
Grand, did you have any trouble with that rotten trip rope Alan rigged the plows with? I was instructed to "Give the trip rope a good yank, not a love tug, that won't do." A few rope repairs later and my new instructions were given to me as, "Do not yank the rope, give it a love tug, that should work... Just don't break the rope again, I do not have another." :poke:

(Ps: I will be in attendance this year)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Alan,
Once again our plow day falls on the same day.
I wish we could coordinate our schedules so that we can attend both events.
Maybe we can discuss this before we do our calendars. It would be nice to add a day of plowing.
Mike
I hear you. I always enjoyed going down there and getting back to back weekends of furrow making.
Mike, it looks like the hosts of our relocated event feels his ground will be best on the first weekend in May. I spoke with them a year ago and at that time, they were looking at other options, but historically, the weekend before they are still pretty wet most years and what a difference a week makes.

#16 ·
Bump

Well, I Got to visit Jeff for a few minutes yesterday.
Looks like he is moving us to a different section. It's longer runs and will work well, IMHO.
It's a section he hasn't had the GT's on before.
He said there were a couple of small rocks once I a while, but it stays a little dryer there too. H knows we've hit some greasy spots before and wants to maximize the GT enjoyment.

He's already working in the snow, trying to prep

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Alan, did you mention to Jeff how fun plowing with a New Holland GT is? :D
Greasy? I never noticed with my Farmall Cub... Well, I was the only guy plowing at times, only one other tractor could keep up traction wise at times, being the Beaver. This year will be the first year I am not taking the Cub to the Bell farm. I am excited about nice long runs in the dirt though.

#19 ·
In the home stretch now.
Last work session at Jeffs house is this Sunday for some field prep, etc.
Then the countdown clock begins
Can't wait. Still plan to bring a plow tractor AND a show tractor this time. Things are swirling around threatening to make me have to cancel but I will fight on. I've already lost the following weekend, I won't lose this one if I can help it!

#24 ·
What is a good hotel option in the Grove City, PA area?
Casey, I hope you found a decent motel by now. Having come to the plow day and show from a different direction I have no knowledge of motels in the Grove City area. I did get curious and checked a few listings online. Some of them have prices that jump dramatically on the weekend. ( Shame on them. ) Some maintain the same prices even on weekends but again I can't recommend any based on experience. Hope you have a good time at the French Creek Plow Day and Show.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
The old field had some high places that could be plowed even though it rained earlier in the week.Is the old field going to be an option in case the new field is to muddy?
Sorry, I missed this one.
The new field is higher so it should be good.
May be a couple of wet spots, could have some rocks, but it looks like a nice field

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.