11 replies to this topic

#1 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 10:45 AM

The best time of my life has been enjoying the wonderment of parenthood , my entry into the group came when most my age were watching graduations, the walking of down the aisle, or even for some of my friends who got started early, grandparenting. I'm doing my best to cram a lot into a little as I realize all children grow up to fast. I think the good Lord made me wait until I calmed down in my ways and started to exhibit some modicum of patience, my recently turned seven year old has made sure I'm learning all the boundaries of what areas mine is lacking still. We have a blast tooling around in my old '94 Chevy 4x4 shortbed standard shift, I glance over at her, usually she has a hat on pulled low, grinning with an ever increasing toothless-ness, her chatting away ,me loving every minute of it. Usually out on some back country roads looking for GT's that may need rescued and in need of a new home, we scout and if any prospects I return to inquire solo, cause you just never know..... anyways here is the story :
Christmas shopping 2015 for her mom, same local jeweler who's been a community staple for as long as I remember and has "the good stuff". Miss B has found it getting more difficult to keep the secret of the gifting until the sanctioned opening of such. Thus spilling the beans. This year as we perused the jewellers showcases and my daughter made her choices, the subject of keeping the secret came up, and the owners wife in her infinite wisdom laid forth the " How she'll keep the secret plan" okay I said lay it on me. Then plan entailed my daughter receiving a similar "Pandora" bracelet and charm of her choice for her birthday if the secret was kept , she prevailed and yesterday was reckoning day.
My thought process when shopping for my wife is two fold , one, the more it costs the better it must be, and two, she puts up with a lot throughout the year so don't underachieve here.
This process is heralded from my wife at gift receiving time for her but gave her some trepidation as to I'd follow the same path on our daughters bracelet purchase, Mom deemed she would accompany us and oversee the transaction. ( humm.. any seen pitfalls here?)
So the girls are picking out the needed pieces I'm thinking I'm getting off relatively unscathed because we are checking out and there are no comma's in the total. GT fund will not take a major hit , my wife didn't look around , I'm out and HT23 TLB refurb will get some love. And then it happened, the lovely and very pleasant 20 something sales girl says to my wife " have you seen these " ?
A siren went off in my head, pieces were being brought forth from the front window, you know, where the good stuff is..wait , Mothers day, birthday, I've got some time I sent out all the subliminal messages I could muster, but these were girls, this was jewelry and I'm pretty sure I was going take a hit to the GT fund after all.
They purposely put the tiniest price tags known to man on all jewelry, I see several pieces laid out, all needed for the full effect , size matters, equally proportionate to cost, this stuff doesn't need magnified. " it's what's in"...I'm dead in the water, no man's land, three pretty girls ,three sets of questioning eyes cast upon me, yea or nay , only one correct answer here. I did what I knew I must and caved in approximately three seconds.
Now the funny part, this young lady sale person who I don't know says to my wife " He wants something", I'm thinking embarrassingly jeez is it written on my face.
Then she utters the sentence that should endear her to ALL tractor lovers, if I was twenty something (knowing what I know now) and single I'd of immediately proposed. She said " he wants a tractor, or another one, my dad comes in here and has me pick something out for my mom when he wants another tractor" what a great example of child rendering, Dad gets tractors ,Mom gets jewelry.
The end.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 28, 2016 - 12:24 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Excellent! Look forward to seeing the 'Jewel in the Crown'; I.e. your latest tractor! :)
  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Good story and well written.  Thanks for sharing.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:33 AM

What do you want to bet he'll be getting one of these?

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Better get one of those tractor charms for your daughter as well. It'll remind her all her life of what a great dad she has, taking her along on your foraging trips when she was a little girl. Talk about bonding!
  • MH81, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 06:30 PM

My wife has said many times, "Jewelry prevents head-aches"!

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:20 PM

You guys are getting off cheap. My wife isn't  into jewelry, she`s into horses.

Jim

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:47 PM

My wife doesn't like jewelry. It's so hard to buy her a quick present. A necklace, set of ear rings, no go.
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Karen is not a glitter girl. She has no interest in superfluous decorations beyond the wedding ring.
She does, however, have an affinity for all things bowling. Cheap per game, but not when you join leagues, go 4 nites a week, go to banquets, and play the Side "card" games.
It adds up, but she tolerates me and that's a big deal :D
  • KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 03:08 AM

That gentlemen, is known in some places as the SET:

SET – Spousal Equity Tax. If you’re lucky, it only amounts to 100 percent of the cost of whatever it was you bought with or without SWMBO’s blessing. Usually in the form of new furniture, carpets, a complete remodel, or even a new house.

#11 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Wrenchin,

I wish my previous significant others were like that... Hopefully I'll find someone who is into tractors as much as I am. Or at least sees the value of garden tractors.
Happy tractoring!

#12 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:26 AM

One thing I've learned reading this, that lady at the jewelry store is a brilliant sales person! :D

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and toomanytoys84 have said thanks