#1 offroadohio ONLINE  

• Member No: 80615
  • 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:58 AM

Still having issues with my vtwin.

Engine ran great a few weeks ago.
Then it randomly lost spark.
I found if I unhooked the kill wire from one coil both got spark back, so I ran the wires to a seperate toggle.

It may be unrelated but since then it has had a misfire of sorts. I pulled the plugs and found what appeared as though the cylinder was running rich and the other lean. I replaced plugs, and cleaned the carb. Seemed to run pretty good in the garage but out in the woods underload it runs like crap.

Pulled the plugs again same scenery

I cleaned plugs up and switched them side to side and unhooked kill wires from both coils to make sure they were not somehow back feeding each other and ran it, pulled plugs and same deal.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next?
  • AntonioLirm said thank you

#2 MiCarl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 689 Thanks
  • 416 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm not an expert reading spark plugs when they are in my hand and its tougher with a picture.  I wonder if the fouled plug isn't oil.

I'd start with a compression test - while it's hot from running under load.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 863 Thanks
  • 1,160 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:45 AM

I would check compression and compare cylinders

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,178 Thanks
  • 2,255 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Check your valve lash before you do a compression test.All 4 valves get set to .004-.006.

Also check for a bend in the Push rods if you find 1 way out of adjustment.

Put new Valve cover gaskets on it if you see any oil leaks coming from the valve covers.A leaky valve cover gasket affects the fuel pump quite a bit.If oil can get out so can alot of the crank case pressure that's needed to operate the fuel pump.

Briggs Twins are prone to blowing head gaskets between 800-1000 hours.It will smoke on start up quite a bit if 1 or both are blown.

It does Sound like you have failing coils and a bad Diode in the kill wire.  

I bought a tractor with an 18hp briggs intek twin that would run on 1 cylinder till I unplugged the kill wire a couple years ago.I ended up replacing both coils and the kill wire on it.Bought the tractor for my Aunt.It was cheap because it wasn't running very well but it was in pristine condition other than that.Nice big deck and foot pedal hydro.

#5 offroadohio ONLINE  

• 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 07:01 AM

I swap my coils side to side and left them unhooked from the kill wires and ramen every in the same enjoy the same result on the funk which leads me to believe that the coils are not the running problem although the diode in the kill wire is definitely bad.

I put the carburator back apart and I take one of the high speed port or clogged which would make sense as to why it was running the way it was.

Now I'm not a dilemma though $75 for carburetor rebuild kit $100 for a brand new carburetor either way in my opinion that's a lot of money to put into this engine.

I have not checked the backlash or the compression yet

#6 offroadohio ONLINE  

• 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 10:44 AM

New carb and it's like a new engine