• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnjds70 OFFLINE  

johnjds70
  • Member No: 81260
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:21 PM

I have a case 448 a 1981 model with A MARVEL SCHEBLER CARBURETOR . i just bought it and the first day I brought it home I went to till and it started stopping and I had to restartit. I finally made iot back to my garage removed the breather and watched the carb when I tried to restart it , it would start but only run about 30 seconds and then fuel shot out the top of the carb like flooding. I took the carburetor apart and found the brass float was all caved in and checked it out in a can of gas and it sunk to bottom of can. I decided that it would be better to just by a whole kit and rebuild the fuel pump , float and needle valves. Well I have all the manuals for the tractor so it didn't take long but guess what it fires plenty of intake suction but the fuel bowl will not fill up , so I checked the fuel pump by taking the  top half of the carb off and cranking to see if pump was working that was fine, checked the float settings to 1/4" and checked the float for rubbing , all things looked good but still would not start or fill the float bowl. Any body have any suggestions what I do next to get it running it is a 18hp onan. Engine sound really good when running.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:33 PM

Welcome :wave:

So you have already put in a new kit and installed a new float?

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Check the supply lines right back to the tank. There may be a screen on the fuel tank fitting.

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 568 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 07:06 PM

A while back a person with same problem with brass float. Said needle retaining clip was binding the needle removed it said works fine with no fuel starving issues. Not sure what consequences if any for clip being removed. Never heard from again.