#1 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 08:19 PM

I did a compression test today on my MF12. Compression is at 55 psi. LOW I KNOW! However, she doesn't smoke at all. Starts a little hard, but not bad. My question is, before I pull the engine and tear it down, should I focus on rings first or valves. Mind you I have never torn an engine down before so this will be a first for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated :blush2:

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 08:41 PM

How did you do the compression test? If you were rolling it over with the starter, it's right on. That engine has a compression release that will put it at 55 or so. release won't kick out until you hit 200 RPM or so.
  • KIRO-1 said thank you

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 08:49 PM

HH120s have a decompressor in them, how much compression you get at cranking speeds I don't know.
1 thing to check is how much smoke if any is coming out the vent tube on the valve cover when running, if smoke visible from there them rings aren't sealing good enough.
If it doesn't smoke most likely valves maybe not sealing real good???
Are the head bolts tight?
  • KIRO-1 said thank you

#4 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Thank you so much for the info. Yes, I rolled it over with the starter. I didn't realize there was a compression release valve. I will check the head bolts tomorrow when I get back from picking up the MF7 . Man, You guy's are the best. Thanks again.

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Yea, pretty simple motors really.... With just the one piston, I would not worry about the rings as long as she runs good and does not push smoke. I will have to attack my 12G once the hydro is done, she is starting to push some smoke, more at start up, but now while running a bit too. But she works hard in the snow and mowing...

#6 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 06:08 AM

No smoke at all, so I'm just gonna work her through the summer and do a frame up restoration in the fall when I take my last 3 weeks of vacation. I call em staycations. Always alot of work to do in the fall getting things buttoned up for winter when you have a dog kennel.