• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:10 PM

Actually, I got a 1054, a 600, a tiller, a garden cart and a set of tire chains. I have depleted my toys fund badly this month, so I was actually only able to put a $100 deposit down. I will be picking everything up next weekend and giving the guy the other $300.

The 1054 is running,but it needs work. It has a Honda engine in it, 1st and 2nd gear don't work and it has the 600 hood on it (chopped to fit over the Honda). It is also missing the rear fenders and has a different seat on it (possibly off the 600).

The 600 is not running. It has the TRA-10d Wisconsin out of the 1054 in it. The engine is free and it still has the starter generator on it. The seller said he never tried to start it. It has the 1054 hood sitting on it, but not bolted on (and not chopped up like the 600 hood). It also is missing the fenders and has a different seat on it, not the one off the 1054 though.

The dump cart is a 10 cubic ft Agrifab in nice shape, needs no work done to it. I believe the tiller is the round back style, but the sheetmetal is off right now, so I am not positive. The lift arm and the driveshaft are both there and everything turns freely. The seller says he does have the sheetmetal for it, but that it is outside somewhere, may not get that till the snow melts.

I plan to fix the issue with the 1054 trans and then run it with the Honda in it for now. I will then see if I can get the Wisconsin running again and if so, put the 1054 back to as original as possible. If that works out, I will probably put the Honda in the 600.

I know you guys all want to see pictures, but that will have to wait till I pick them up next weekend.

Jim

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,141 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:17 PM

Congratulations - you have officially been bitten by the Bolens Bug virus Tube Frame strain - it is not fatal in the short term but it can be expensive if you don't take precautions.  Look forward to seeing pictures.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:22 PM

It may in fact prove to be fatal. I haven't told my wife yet.

Jim

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:50 PM

Well, it was nice knowing you. :rolling:

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#5 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Jim

You and me both!
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer and wurzel have said thanks

#6 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Jim

That is usually the hardest part of the love for Bolens for many of us. I try to always tell her before purchases, though it can be a hard thing sometimes for sure! Good luck!!!

Actually, I got a 1054, a 600, a tiller, a garden cart and a set of tire chains. I have depleted my toys fund badly this month, so I was actually only able to put a $100 deposit down. I will be picking everything up next weekend and giving the guy the other $300.

The 1054 is running,but it needs work. It has a Honda engine in it, 1st and 2nd gear don't work and it has the 600 hood on it (chopped to fit over the Honda). It is also missing the rear fenders and has a different seat on it (possibly off the 600).

The 600 is not running. It has the TRA-10d Wisconsin out of the 1054 in it. The engine is free and it still has the starter generator on it. The seller said he never tried to start it. It has the 1054 hood sitting on it, but not bolted on (and not chopped up like the 600 hood). It also is missing the fenders and has a different seat on it, not the one off the 1054 though.

The dump cart is a 10 cubic ft Agrifab in nice shape, needs no work done to it. I believe the tiller is the round back style, but the sheetmetal is off right now, so I am not positive. The lift arm and the driveshaft are both there and everything turns freely. The seller says he does have the sheetmetal for it, but that it is outside somewhere, may not get that till the snow melts.

I plan to fix the issue with the 1054 trans and then run it with the Honda in it for now. I will then see if I can get the Wisconsin running again and if so, put the 1054 back to as original as possible. If that works out, I will probably put the Honda in the 600.

I know you guys all want to see pictures, but that will have to wait till I pick them up next weekend.

Jim

Way to go one the purchase, sounds like it should be a good project! Hopefully the one tra10d runs for you. I love mine in my 1050, great little work horse of a motor.

Must have been a private sale? I didn't see it in kijiji
  • Bolens800uk said thank you

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Actually Aaron it was on Kijiji Barrie. He put it up Thursday night. After looking at it and giving him the deposit, he had the ad down by the time I made it home today (20 mins). I already have a 1054 and yes the tra10d's make some impressive power. I replaced the head gasket in mine late last summer and the power it makes now is incredible. The new one turns easily by hand, so I am hoping it won't take too much to get it going.

With regards to not telling my wife, I do put money aside for my hobbies and that is part of our budget system. I can spend that money as I see fit ( and she does the same). We do discuss large purchases that are outside of our regular budget. We are coming up on our 16th wedding anniversary in March and lived together for 5 years before getting married. This seems to work for us.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, February 27, 2016 - 06:12 PM.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#8 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:32 PM

I guess I missed that post.

I feel I should add that though my wife and I have only been together a short time compared to yourself, we always communicate our finances together.

Enjoy the project! Looking forward to pictures.
  • blackjackjakexxix and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#9 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Congrats, having more than one of these tractors is really worthwhile, you can always keep one going by borrowing from the other. It's worked well for me.
  • blackjackjakexxix, Bolens800uk and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#10 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 03:02 PM

Sounds like a pretty good deal! Looking forward to pictures!

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#11 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:30 PM

I thought I would update this thread an finally post the pictures I promised. Due to bad weather on the weekend of the 5th, I wasn't able to pick everything up until the following weekend. I had to move a bunch of stuff around to be able to get everything put away and by the time I got that done, I forgot about pictures.

The first picture is the tiller. It is a 25" roundback model. It has a blade broken off on one of the tines and the bracket that hold the cover on was broken, but I have welded it. It isn't pretty, but I tried it out with my other 1054 and it works. The next picture is the Agri-fab dump cart. It is pretty light duty, but has been taken care of. It was clean when I picked it up, I used it to haul some manure out to the garden.

The next two are of the model 600 that was included as a parts machine. It has the 1054 hood sitting on there (not bolted, just sitting), it has the Wisconsin TRA-10D out of the 1054 somewhat bolted into place and the original rear wheels and tires off the 1054 as well. The rear tires are no good, the engine turns over freely by hand, but has no compression. I had some time today, so I pulled the head off to see what I could see. There is a lot of carbon build-up that needs to be cleaned, the valves look good and are free as well, there is a bit of a ridge at the top of the cylinder, but not bad and the head gasket was blown. I did break one head bolt getting it apart, but it is one of the easier ones to get at. I am hoping to get it running again and put it back where it belongs.

The last 3 pictures are the 1054. It has an 8hp Honda in it, the 600 hood on it, which has been cut to fit the Honda, nearly new front turf tires, the original rear wheels and tires off the 600, possibly the original seat off the 600 (?) and a unique home built rear hitch. It does run and drive, but the trans needs work, high range does not work and 1st and 2nd gear do not work. I dug into that a bit today as well, but I will start a new thread with the details on that. I also removed the homebuilt hitch.

I think I did ok on this deal. Worst case is I got a dump cart, a tiller and a lot of spare parts. I am pretty sure that I can get this 1054 back to somewhat original and have a backup machine for my other 1054. I like the idea of having two near identical machines, where all the parts and attachments interchange.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 007.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • 008.jpg

• LPBolens said thank you

#12 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,141 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the pictures - looks like you should be able to make at least one tractor with a bit of work. 

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#13 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the pictures - looks like you should be able to make at least one tractor with a bit of work. 

I would like to try to get them both up and running, with the Wisconsin back in the 1054 and the Honda back in the 600. The previous owner swapped the Honda into that one after the original Briggs quit. Then he bought the 1054 for parts, but liked the 6 speed transmission and the dual belt setup better, so he pulled the Wisconsin out and swapped the Honda into the 1054 frame. He also switched hoods at the same time, because the 600 hood was already cut to fit over the Honda engine. I could likely put the 3 speed transmission from the 600 into the 1054 frame and have a functional tractor in a matter of a few hours (but without the high/low range capability). I do have another mostly original and perfectly functional 1054 that I bought last year though, so I am in no big rush to get either of these 2 up and running.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 026.jpg

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, March 27, 2016 - 09:15 PM.