• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 01:59 PM

I contacted the seller today to ask about the original Bolens wheels/ rims for the H16. He said he swapped them round on to his Toro as he wanted cleated tyres for using in a certain part of his property. He is happy to swap the wheels back but I will have to pay for the tyres to be swapped over though. I am pleased that the original wheels will be reinstated with the H16. :)
  • LPBolens, KennyP, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#32 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:52 AM

Well I picked up the mighty H16 this morning, a 100 miles round trip to Cornwall, the home of Poldark.

I attach some some photos of it being loaded up on to the van. To ease loading Terry's son (Mark?) and I took off the mower deck which weighs a tonne ! Terry knocked up a wooden pole which had two holes to fit over some bolts of his ride on to push the Bolens up the ramp. What I can't understand is that when I took the photos I am sure the second tractor was white and not red..... Obviously someone have photoshopped my photos between me leaving Cornwall this morning to me downloading them.

My thanks to both Terry and his son helping me load it up.

i am going to have to ask Iain for some detailed photos of his deck set up on his H16.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
  • Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 4 others have said thanks

#33 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,145 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:58 AM

Looks good and clever way to get it to your place without someone suspecting that you brought home another tractor. 

Edited by 29 Chev, April 06, 2016 - 09:59 AM.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#34 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:18 AM

Looks good and clever way to get it to your place without someone suspecting that you brought home another tractor.

You don't know how close to the truth that is! :)

#35 wurzel ONLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 113 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:24 AM

hi andrew have you tried starting her yet looks good btw

cheers nick

Edited by wurzel, April 06, 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#36 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:27 AM

No not yet Nick; there's some starting issues that I need to investigate. Hopefully nothing too serious to sort out. I just dropped it off at my lock up until I can get round to having a proper look at it. This is a hefty old beast as you know with yours H16. :)
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#37 wurzel ONLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 113 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:35 AM

if you are stuck give me a shout ive got a complete running engine and a brand new starter 

cheers nick

#38 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Nick. I will keep that in mind. Cheers.

Collecting the 600 this Saturday morning and Chris's engine tomorrow evening! Manic week for Bolens related projects in between work.

#39 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 11:22 AM

PM sent Nick.

#40 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:48 PM

So you did not swap the wheels back off the toro then??

Saves pushing the lump up the ramps!!!

Edited by BolensChrisUK, April 06, 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#41 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 03:15 PM

I saw the original wheels on the Toro this morning and we agreed that at some point I would come back for them once I get the ones on the H16 rebooted with some Agri tyres. A simple swap over but lack of time and pressure of work mean I will have to factor that in another day.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#42 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Andrew, just a quick question.

I've noticed that some of the Bolens over there in the UK have the "Howard" sticker on them and others don't.

Was there a certain timeframe when Howard put their stickers on them, or was that only for some models and not others?

As for how many Bolens were imported? Isn't Howard still in business?  If so, maybe you could contact them to see if they still have the records from those days.

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 06, 2016 - 07:19 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, slf-uk and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#43 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 01:26 AM

Andrew, just a quick question.

I've noticed that some of the Bolens over there in the UK have the "Howard" sticker on them and others don't.

Was there a certain timeframe when Howard put their stickers on them, or was that only for some models and not others?

As for how many Bolens were imported? Isn't Howard still in business? If so, maybe you could contact them to see if they still have the records from those days.

Dave, That's a very good question. Iain and I have discussed this ourselves. The simple answer is that no one knows how many Bolens were imported. As for Howard decals on the hoods, certainly my 1254 (''71 model got them on ) and I have seen several later Bolens pertaining from the early to mid 80s with them on too. The later models with them on are the rear engined riders. It would appear to be very hit and miss with the Howard's decals/ transfer on UK Bolens. Over time, some of these transfers would peel off, others been repainted and not replaced etc. Another factor to take into account are that some Bolens were imported privately by collectors and possibly some of the America Army/ Air Force camps sited here in the UK during the Cold War era might have bought in thier own machinery to maintain the grounds. These in turn might have been sold off as surplus to requirements? Food for thoughts certainly.

I am planning to set up a UK database of Bolens covering the TFs and LFs range plus RAMs and the LK, EK & GK to get some sort of idea on the number of Bolens there are over here. I am also planning to record implements too. It's always a surprise when a Bolens appears on the market. Incidentally, we do come across a few Bolens mowers and choppers from the MTD era over here.

Cheers Andrew

Edited by Bolens800uk, April 07, 2016 - 02:21 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Sawdust and 29 Chev have said thanks

#44 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 02:42 PM

The Howard stickers are very poor quality compared with the Bolens stickers and I think many started to peel and owners removed them. I did this with one side of a H16 to see how easy they come off and they seem to come off very easily and largely complete.

I don't know for sure but I would have thought that all Bolens imported by Howard had the stickers. It is very interesting how the design of the Howard stickers change. When I get the chance I will take lots of pics and do a Howard sticker thread.

I really like Andrew's idea of a UK database and I have started to record the numbers of mine.

I did some searching a while back and I believe Howard were bought out by another company who have put that part of the business into liquidation. It would be fantastic if records still exist and some further digging is required.

It is very interesting idea about the USAF bases especially as a number were in the part of the country I live in

Iain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev and Bolens800uk have said thanks