• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Whilst idly browsing through Gumtree UK, I came across this H16 titled Garden Tractor. It's an hour away from me in Cornwall, just across the border. After a phone call I did quick trip to Cornwall to view the GT. The seller, an elderly but sprightly gentleman, recovering from a triple heart transplant, owned it for 25 years. He was the second owner. The previous owner traded it in for a newer machine in Exeter, Devon. He used it to mow his paddock which was grazed by donkeys. A deal was struck. His wife made me a cup of tea and made a lovely cheese sandwich with pickle. A lovely couple who lived there coming on 50 years. I asked him to write up some amusing antidotes about using the H16. It developed a starting fault some 10 years ago. He then bought a Toro which he said "isn't a patch on the old Bolens". He showed me a few other horticultural equipment that he given me first refusal. I also got the original receipt for the H16 when he bought it. He was pleased and thrilled that I am a Bolens enthusiast and that it would be looked after. I told him that I got 7 Bolens all together. That's when he invited me to have a cup of tea! I then told him that I knew several UK Bolens owners who got this particular model and that it was highly rated. That was when the sandwich was made! He told me that he was considering repowering it with a Honda engine but he couldn't bear the thought of 'ripping out the heart of the old girl'.

Can anyone tell me a but more about this H16 which is a 1656-01 # 0183284? (difficult to read the numbers). I believe it's a '73 model? It's all there and the surface is just surface rust but all original.

Here are some photos of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Bolens800uk, February 27, 2016 - 02:40 PM.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 02:15 PM

It should have a hh160 tec engine. I rebuilt a hh150 a couple years ago, so I beleive parts are still available. This would be my first choice before a engine transplant.
  • boyscout862, Bolens800uk and wurzel have said thanks

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Nice looking tractor - good to see another one in your part of the world.

• boyscout862, Bolens800uk, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#4 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 02:32 PM

Very nice Andrew.

Your sure its not a 1656 not a 1556 like you have said.

Rear wheels are wrong to me. Look like they came off the guys Toro

• boyscout862, Bolens800uk and wurzel have said thanks

#5 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Now Amended glad you spotted my deliberate mistake Chris! :)

I think the old chap still got the wheels. If not I know someone in Norfolk who got some......! :)

#6 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 114 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 03:29 PM

nice find andrew that looks a lot better than mine did whats wrong with the engine 

cheers nick

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#7 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 469 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Awesome! I want to find a 1656 to round out my 56 collection.
  • Bolens800uk and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Great find Andrew. I have four H16's in my collection and I think they are great, the cats pyjamas!

I agree with Chris about the wheels and it looks like I need to lock the barn tonight if you are on the lookout for H16 parts :-)

It looks like the exhaust is not original too but at least it has the original heat shield. The solenoid is not in the easiest place to get to but why do people have to bend the panel to get to it.

Iain

#9 Daves Bolens UK OFFLINE  

Daves Bolens UK
  • Member No: 79375
  • 110 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Very nice h16 Andrew good find I love them little hydro tractors my h16 was the first Bolens I ever had

#10 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Interesting coincidence, my first Bolens was a H16 too.

Iain

#11 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. When I saw the price (£200), I just have to get it. I can't believe I got two from one end of the country (Cornwall) today and a 1050 from Scotland (Near Dundee, Angus) in the same week! Yes, looking forward to getting it home next weekend.

The exhaust is a replacement by the seller as he took the time to keep the outer cover. I can live with that. I will ask him about the wheels but I don't want him to manually dig them out due to his recent operation. Hopefully I can lay my hands on them. The deck was refrabicated by a skilled frabication a few years back so that's in working order. He lost one of the wheels on the deck in the grass and could never find it. The seller suspected it is the carb furring up; a similar problem with Chris's 1556. Hopefully that will be sorted.

Finishing my coffee on the M25 outside London enroute to Norfolk armed with crowbar........

Edited by Bolens800uk, February 27, 2016 - 06:18 PM.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#12 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. When I saw the price (£200), I just have to get it. I can't believe I got two from one end of the country (Cornwall) today and a 1050 from Scotland (Near Dundee, Angus) in the same week! Yes, looking forward to getting it home next weekend.

The exhaust is a replacement by the seller as he took the time to keep the outer cover. I can live with that. I will ask him about the wheels but I don't want him to manually dig them out due to his recent operation. Hopefully I can lay my hands on them. The deck was refrabicated by a skilled frabication a few years back so that's in working order. He lost one of the wheels on the deck in the grass and could never find it. The seller suspected it is the carb furring up; a similar problem with Chris's 1656. Hopefully that will be sorted.

Finishing my coffee on the M25 outside London enroute to Norfolk armed with crowbar........

I was a little confused by you comment on my thread, but now I get it.  Just tell her they belong to one of your buddies and you are just storing them till they can pick them up.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, February 27, 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#13 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 05:51 PM

nice find andrew that looks a lot better than mine did whats wrong with the engine 
cheers nick

Nick,

As you know I nearly bought the one you bought in Exeter last summer but my dithering cost me a good deal. You did well to get the flat top tiller with it. What was wrong with yours? I know it was a non runner as advertised.

Have you been to Malvern yet for the tractor show?

Cheers
  • wurzel said thank you

#14 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 114 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:04 PM

the carb was all corroded and the float was holed ,fuel pump u/s starter brushes worn out 

i got a rebuild kit for the carb from the states and soldered the float as the cheapest float was £27 and a plastic fuel pump from ebay for £7 

the brush card for the starter was about £30 engine runs sweet now 

not been to malvern got family visiting 

cheers 

#15 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,764 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 09:19 PM