With the modification to the upgrade on my homemade snow blower tested and so far working (http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/51639-homemade-two-stage-snow-blower-speed-reduction-upgrade/ ) I have decided to turn my attention to repairing the PTO shaft that I broke on my 1050. I picked up a 1053 parts tractor this summer which uses the same PTO components (double groove pulley setup) and had a look at the PTO unit from it in hopes that it might be in good shape but the shaft from it is not the best candidate. Someone has welded the pulley onto the shaft (originally it was splined and had a snap ring on either side to hold it in position on the shaft) which is not uncommon to see if the splines inside the pulley wear out but for some reason they chose to put the pulley on backwards. I mounted the shaft in the lathe and it ran true so I tried to turn the weld off but it was very hard so I went to plan B and used the die grinder with a 3” cut off blade and ground the weld away and removed the pulley from the shaft. The splines are worn on the one side where the pulley would go which happens over time as the pulley is not locked on the shaft. The splines will have to be built up as well as the area where I ground the weld which can be done but the shaft is also worn where the needle bearing runs. The shaft was probably hardened where the needle bearing ran originally so I am not sure how long it would last if the area was built up and then turned down.
Edited by 29 Chev, February 27, 2016 - 02:37 PM.