Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Never mind truck hunting, i need to find a new slaughter house!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Aldi around here is like the cheap off brand store.

I buy a lot of my beef off a little family owned butcher shop. Steaks, roast, ect. Ground beef I usually just pick up at the Kroger's.

My wife and I were discussing purchasing a whole ready to butcher cow this year and have it done up. But I am not sure we could eat an entire cow before it went bad.
  • adamjd200 said thank you

#17 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:47 PM

As for what we would do without internet? we would not be able to talk around the world as we do now.

On the other hand life was less complicated when we were not tied to out computers and cell phones?

Human beings lived w/out the net more then 10000 years. But you're right, it's not the net - the dangerous component is only the user. Less competition means higher profits. It's the same game in all countries all around the world.

Maybe life will be less complicated - who knows. If there are no complications, we'll invent them... And you can only miss what you know it exists.

• Bruce Dorsi, JD DANNELS, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#18 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:09 PM

I blame the rising costs of food on the fact we're putting our corn in gas tanks. 

Mike

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:31 PM

My wife and I were discussing purchasing a whole ready to butcher cow this year and have it done up. But I am not sure we could eat an entire cow before it went bad.

If the butcher vacuum packs the beef, it will be good 2 years at least.  Ours did that long and still great.  If not vacuum packed, ya better eat it within a year tops.    And  you could find a buddy to go in  halves.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Human beings lived w/out the net more then 10000 years. But you're right, it's not the net - the dangerous component is only the user. Less competition means higher profits. It's the same game in all countries all around the world.

Maybe life will be less complicated - who knows. If there are no complications, we'll invent them... And you can only miss what you know it exists.

There is a lot to that. The internet does some good some bad. I don't know that it complicates my life. I read GT talk, browse 2 other message forums, read about some subject in history, read car/truck reviews. Nothing major. I stay off Facebook and all that crap for the most part.

I remember a couple news ago my wife and I were at her parents for a party. They had several of their friends over. People in their 40s to 50s and they spent an hour talking about peoples post on Facebook. After awhile I had enough and said something to the effect of "don't you people have anything more interesting in your lives to talk about than gossip about peoples posts on facebook?" I think it had some effect as they all looked at the ground and changed the subject.

I've not had the internet longer than I've had it. I've only really had a cell phone for 10 years. 22 without one. I could go back easily enough but I would miss it.
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:33 PM

If the butcher vacuum packs the beef, it will be good 2 years at least. Ours did that long and still great. If not vacuum packed, ya better eat it within a year tops. And you could find a buddy to go in halves.

I wondered about that. We talked about having my mother in law go in with us on it. Split it 50/50.

#22 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 12:27 PM

I double wrap everything, plastic wrap first after expelling as much air as possible, then waxed brown paper (butcher's paper). Keeping the freezer set as cold as possible , not just freezing, but really cold, is a big part of it as well. As long as the packages are not moved around too much and there are no breaks in the wrapping I have perfectly sealed meat last three years with no problem.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you