Time to Vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Never mind truck hunting, i need to find a new slaughter house!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Just went and picked up some beef at my slaughterhouse and they informed me of their new price sheet.. Went up $10 across the board for about everything.... Looks like building as new butcher room at the farm is definitely in order now!!!
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,440 Thanks
  • 41,040 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Just what I needed to hear! Groceries are getting EXPENSIVE!

• hamman, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,544 Thanks
  • 4,062 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 07:16 AM

Just what I needed to hear! Groceries are getting EXPENSIVE!

But I like to spend my money better for good groceries than for expensive cars or furniture. Farming feeds the world and when I see the milk prizes here in germany and how much a Mercedes, VW or all this poo costs then I say: food can't be expensive enough...

• Bruce Dorsi, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,476 Thanks
  • 30,061 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 07:26 AM

The problem here in the USA is that most times when food gets priced higher, it isn't the farmer who is getting paid more.  The processors are raking in the money here, not the farmer.  

• limebuzz, MH81, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 07:34 AM

The problem here in the USA is that most times when food gets priced higher, it isn't the farmer who is getting paid more.  The processors are raking in the money here, not the farmer.

DANG STRAIGHT!! This is another reason you need to do it by yourself.... The small guy just can't compete with out massive numbers ... Stay small, sell big, and hide everything you got!! Otherwise you will never make it....
  • limebuzz, hamman, Dieselcubmike and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 830 Thanks
  • 789 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:05 AM

The problem here in the USA is that most times when food gets priced higher, it isn't the farmer who is getting paid more. The processors are raking in the money here, not the farmer.

Exactly the problem here. Local abattoir charges extra for red or black pigs... Just trying to screw us over.
  • hamman, dodge trucker and chieffan have said thanks

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,170 Thanks
  • 5,768 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:08 AM

The small farmer ALWAYS gets screwed

• hamman, oldedeeres, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,636 Thanks
  • 4,760 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Farmers are the only ones that have money.  Driving the newest pickups, have the new and bigger tractors and equipment.  Trading for new ever couple years.  Get govt. subsidies.  Now the govt. pay them $25 per A. to plant cover crops when they can buy the seed and drill it for about $18.  The other $7 is for being a farmer.  A happy farmer is a bitching farmer.  When they are quiet is when they are having management problems.  I live in the middle of farm country.  I saw my neighbor grow from the first family farm bought at a sheriffs sale about 30 years ago.  Father son operation.  Father did the managing and son did the work.  Now they have over 8000 A with 5 hired men. Large cow calf operation.  3 feed wagons run 6 hours a day every day to feed the cattle.  A few years ago when corn shot up to over $7 a bu. it didn't take long for a bunch of new pickups to hit the roads.

• Gtractor, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,370 Thanks
  • 29,098 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Farmers are the only ones that have money. Driving the newest pickups, have the new and bigger tractors and equipment. Trading for new ever couple years. Get govt. subsidies. Now the govt. pay them $25 per A. to plant cover crops when they can buy the seed and drill it for about $18. The other $7 is for being a farmer. A happy farmer is a bitching farmer. When they are quiet is when they are having management problems. I live in the middle of farm country. I saw my neighbor grow from the first family farm bought at a sheriffs sale about 30 years ago. Father son operation. Father did the managing and son did the work. Now they have over 8000 A with 5 hired men. Large cow calf operation. 3 feed wagons run 6 hours a day every day to feed the cattle. A few years ago when corn shot up to over $7 a bu. it didn't take long for a bunch of new pickups to hit the roads.

Sounds like a success story to me.
While Subsidies are not on my favorites list, further investigation shows the good intentions of the idea and how they have bridged the gap on bad years... allowing people who feed us to keep their land, not go homeless and allow me to get fat.
In a perfect world, they wouldn't be necessary, but often farmers are in debt up to their Hoo hoos and an unexpected and prolonged drop in a commodities price can cripple a family outfit.
I tend to lean politically in the direction of Capitalism Fixes Everything (if left alone), but it seems prudent to be a little less Darwinistic with our food supply.
  • hamman, wvbuzzmaster, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 2,255 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 09:52 AM

Years ago, my uncle was paid by the government to NOT grow crops. 

It seems the government did not want to flood the market with product, thus driving down the price.

A few years later after the subsidy stopped, his cost to grow corn was higher than he could get back when selling.

His was a small farm, and he could not enjoy the economy of scale.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,476 Thanks
  • 30,061 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 10:08 AM

You don't see smaller operations driving new pickups and buying brand new equipment.  And a ton of those larger operations that do this are finding themselves in a bind.  I can't feel sorry for them.  When corn got to $7, I didn't have any left from feeding to sell.  In fact, our bad yields that season forced me to buy corn!  And my newest tractor is a 92 model.  The next newest is an 82.  Truck is a 97.  Don't wrap all farmers in a single blanket, as we're not all alike.

• limebuzz, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#12 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,782 Thanks
  • 2,641 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 10:28 AM

I still think one of the mosh honorable professions here in the US and Canada, well across the world really, is that of being a farmer. Now being a farmer doesn't mean you have to be poor or just getting by to live. I understand the need to succeed in business and I also see the need for help for the farmer in subsidies. This is not high on my list either, however, without the independent farmer we would be at the mercy of the government. Our government is in it for themselves and we come second.

My uncle was a dairy farmer back in the 50s and he got a little help then. He didn't spend it needlessly or live lavishly. He did provide for his family and provide a good quality of milk to go to market. When he died on the farm they lived in the same small farm house that had been rebuilt after the first one burned. They still had the same dirt floor that my aunt washed and waxed nearly everyday and kept as clean as any wood or concrete floor. His barns were used and his equipment was old, very old and he and my dad worked on it continuously. He was proud to provide for his family this way and for his community. WHen he died he didn't leave a million dollars to hid family nor was he poor. He was proud to of provided.

I would rather buy from a local farmer that produces a product that he and I know is good for you and was grown honorably. Grown without extra ingredients and suggested this and that.

I remember Paul Harvey's " Then God Made A Farmer" . Thanks to all that provide for us. We all have a profession we do and they all are as equally important than the other. Without food we would cease to exist, some are not skilled enough to provide for themselves. JM2CW. Have a great weekend. Thaink Spring!

Roer

• olcowhand, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 10:37 AM

It is tough all over.  I remember a conversation with a Locker operator many years ago probably early 70s.

Chief Fan lived in this area once, He might remember McKees Locker .

He said he was closing his business so of course I asked why.  The previous year he had spent $15,000 updating all his equipment.

6 months later the inspector came in and told him the equipment was not up to standard of new regulations.

Since it was going to cost another $20,000 to bring it up to standard, he decided to retire.

Now since so many lockers have closed, there is not one within 20 miles.

If you have a mind to set up a processing room on the farm, not only would encourage it.

I would appreciate it if you would keep us up to date  on the project.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 27, 2016 - 10:44 AM.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,544 Thanks
  • 4,062 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Here in germany we have the same procedure and our Wall Mart is named ALDI. Multibillioneers which destroy hard working farmers for their profits! And the costumers are stupid enough to buy in this markets.

Edit: And the top of the madness is that people are invited to buy their fruit in the internet - not in a little or bigger store, no it must be internet! What have we done all the years w/out the internet! How could I tie my shoes w/out internet! And now, I shall buy my food in the internet :firejumper:

When the last little store is closed, we have to pay the bill (via internet)...

Edited by jd.rasentrac, February 27, 2016 - 12:55 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Here in germany we have the same procedure and our Wall Mart is named ALDI. Multibillioneers which destroy hard working farmers for their profits! And the costumers are stupid enough to buy in this markets.

Edit: And the top of the madness is that people are invited to buy their fruit in the internet - not in a little or bigger store, no it must be internet! What have we done all the years w/out the internet! How could I tie my shoes w/out internet! And now, I shall buy my food in the internet :firejumper:

When the last little store is closed, we have to pay the bill (via internet)...

We also have a ALDI chain. It is predominately a warehouse store. The store in Newton is closed. But the wife makes a run to Des Moines to Sams Club(Walmart Warehouse store) and Aldi about every 4-6 weeks.

As for what we would do without internet? we would not be able to talk around the world as we do now.

On the other hand life was less complicated when we were not tied to out computers and cell phones?

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 27, 2016 - 02:01 PM.