• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 04:34 PM

While continuing to work on my 1886 with it's K482S engine, I noticed the governor has a 1/8" pipe plug on the top, near the front of the tractor.  I removed it and can see the top of the gear that propels the governor itself inside.  Having restored a Farmall Cub (1951) last year, I quickly found out that the governor on that tractor can and does "freeze up" over time.  I solved that particular problem, not by disassembly, but by patient application of PB Blaster and gentle movement of the control lever.  I also removed it's pipe plug and applied PB Blaster directly into the governor body.  That solved the freeze up and the Cub runs like a champ now.

Here is my question:  Can I and should I apply a light weight oil into the opening on the Kohler governor?  Does it need lubrication, or is it lubed by overpressure oil from the crankcase?

Thanks!

Jim

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 05:41 PM

No PB Blaster inside, you are correct , the carb draws a vacuum up thru the governor from the crankcase via the small U shaped hose ,also the small copper line is for lubrication to the governor. At some point in time I believe this tube was eliminated. The pic is a K582 , I'm almost positive the K482 is the same . The pipe plug you reference, removed let's you view the timing mark on the gear. Check out our manual section for the K482-K662 service manual, it is an excellent read for owners of such.You will find it invaluable (IMO)

http://gardentractor...ice-manual-ocr/

Correction pic is a K532 , sorry after a while they all look alike, plus eyesight is fading, so is memory, attention span is suffering, so is motivation, too many half completed projects , too many half started... I could go on

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160226_1747432_rewind.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 26, 2016 - 08:25 PM.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#3 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 227 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:23 PM

No PB Blaster inside, you are correct , the carb draws a vacuum up thru the governor from the crankcase via the small U shaped hose ,also the small copper line is for lubrication to the governor. At some point in time I believe this tube was eliminated. The pic is a K582 , I'm almost positive the K482 is the same . That pipe plug removed let's you view the timing mark on the gear. Check out our manual section for the K482-K662 service manual, it is an excellent read for owners of such.You will find it invaluable (IMO)

http://gardentractor...ice-manual-ocr/

Correction pic is a K532 , sorry after a while they all look alike, plus eyesight is fading, so is memory, attention span is suffering, so is motivation, too many half completed projects , too many half started... I could go on

Thanks much for the insight.  I figured the vacuum probably drew in oil, but didn't know about the copper tubing, which my -02 does have.  Pretty good system.  I have to say it's better than the one on the old Cub (and I love IH!).  I'll check out the link - thanks!

Jim