• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • Member No: 10011
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 11:26 AM

So a couple of weeks ago I bought a mf 12 variable speed. I bought it for $200 bucks and it needed the carb cleaned and it had the mf sleeve hitch on when I bought it. So when I brought it home I cleaned the carb and I'm having trouble adjusting it. It's an lme carb and I looked in the book and it says 1 1/4 turn for the main pre set and the idle set but it's still not running right. Anyway during the Lebanon valley indoor tractor show I bought a set of new rubber for it. I bought the Carlisle tru-powers. I love those tires. And I also put a set of the factory mf wheel weights I had laying around.after I get it 100% I'm planning on being in pa plow day in April. I'm not gonna lie it's not pretty but I like how it's rusty it's shows history and character. Anyway hope you guys enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• DH1, DMAX, limebuzz and 1 other said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Nice, I have one of those tractors. Nice tires too, but I was wondering what size they are. I have 23x8.50x12 on my tractor. Yours look bigger, but mine are Duro tires, not the same as yours. Maybe that's the reason they look different in size.

Noel
  • collinmf12 said thank you

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Good Stuff, looks like a late model with the hump on the top of the right side foot panel. That should work good for you at plowday. :thumbs:

• IamSherwood and collinmf12 have said thanks

#4 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Nice, I have one of those tractors. Nice tires too, but I was wondering what size they are. I have 23x8.50x12 on my tractor. Yours look bigger, but mine are Duro tires, not the same as yours. Maybe that's the reason they look different in size.
Noel

Mine are 23x8.50x12 to I think the picture makes them look bigger
  • propane1 said thank you

#5 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Good Stuff, looks like a late model with the hump on the top of the right side foot panel. That should work good for you at plowday. :thumbs:

Yeah It is a 1975 model
  • DH1 said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Gotta keep in mind those manuals suggest that carb settings to just make it run enough to adjust.  You have to adjust and listen to get correct and even. Also at times between the idle and the Hi-spd you have to go back and forth between them and re-adjust many times till you find the best workable position. I like to remive the needles and blow cleaner and air thru the holes first if you can.  Not a lot, just some to help clean out.  Running carb cleaner in the gas for a few tanks is good idea too on bringing them back to life. At times you need to keep the idle mix just a little rich so when you crack throttle it doesn't cut-out or big lag in transition to higher speed. Set, listen, try. many times over.

• limebuzz and collinmf12 have said thanks

#7 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 05:03 PM

Gotta keep in mind those manuals suggest that carb settings to just make it run enough to adjust.  You have to adjust and listen to get correct and even. Also at times between the idle and the Hi-spd you have to go back and forth between them and re-adjust many times till you find the best workable position. I like to remive the needles and blow cleaner and air thru the holes first if you can.  Not a lot, just some to help clean out.  Running carb cleaner in the gas for a few tanks is good idea too on bringing them back to life. At times you need to keep the idle mix just a little rich so when you crack throttle it doesn't cut-out or big lag in transition to higher speed. Set, listen, try. many times over.

Ok thanks for the info appreciate it I didn't realize that.

#8 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Hurts my neck to look at the pics and compare to my 1975 12G, but one thing I noticed is that mine doesn't have the shields from the footboards up to the rear fender.  I've seen them before but always thought it was a hydro thing. Looks like a good score for the money!

DAC

• collinmf12 said thank you

#9 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted February 26, 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hurts my neck to look at the pics and compare to my 1975 12G, but one thing I noticed is that mine doesn't have the shields from the footboards up to the rear fender.  I've seen them before but always thought it was a hydro thing. Looks like a good score for the money!

DAC

As soon as I seen that for $200 I knew I had to buy it
  • limebuzz and MFDAC have said thanks

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 06:46 PM

What do you mean here Doug?

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 06:56 PM

post-10011-0-47411200-1456417499.jpg

See where the right side foot step part meets the tool box beside the gear shift, extra piece added there, gives more clearance for the tensioner pulley that is under it.

Late models are like that, early ones are not there flat.

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 19, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Ah, yes. I see the difference.

DSCF2526.JPG