• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• Member No: 2436
  • 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 11:41 AM

The other day I was mowing (Bolens 1050) and at high speed the engine started sputtering or stalling and surging. Like the idiot I am, I started messing with the main jet adustment (zenith).
Now, I can't get it to run at all... When I pour gas in the carb it will run until it is gone. same with carb cleaner. I assume we are dealing with a supply issue here. Can anyone give me some suggerstions. I have cleaned the air cleaner, adusted the Main jet and idle to starting specs. I have tried one and a half and two in the main jet and one and one and a half on the idle. I've checked cables, made new intake gaskets. No luck yet...

Any help would be appreciated...

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 01:22 PM

I think I would take the carb apart and give it a thorough cleaning.
after its cleaned, Then screw the main jet all the way in and start over on the adjustments.
Back the main jet out about 1 1/2 turns and see what happens.
  • jeffsross said thank you

#3 dadork OFFLINE  

dadork

• Member No: 2404
  • 3 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 06:13 PM

Sounds like a bowl sticking to me. Take the bowl out and hold it next to your ear and shake it and listen for any gas in the bowl. If there is it is shot, if not then the float needle is sticking.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 07:49 PM

If those suggestions don't work you could try disconnecting the fuel line right at the carb . Making sure the gas is coming from the tank.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 08:43 PM

If those suggestions don't work you could try disconnecting the fuel line right at the carb . Making sure the gas is coming from the tank.

Same thing happened to Ryan at Plow Day today, we disconnected & blew back thru the line, and there was a sudden release, then all OK. Wonder what's floating in the tank?

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Might be dirt build-up in the screen that's inside the tank.I punched mine out.
Really no use for it in the tank if you have an inline filter.

#7 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 30, 2011 - 10:08 PM

I'm glad I am not as stupid as I thought...

I took it off and found a broken linkage. I welded it. I am hoping that a cleaning will do it. It looked like everything was unclogged and moving. I am trying to understand the governor linkage... It seems contrary to logic. Mine has a spring on the lower side where logic dictates a solid rod... It seems to need a push to open the throttle... Not the first weird monkey rig I've found on this tractor... Hmmm...

#8 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 08:05 PM

I'm glad I am not as stupid as I thought...

I took it off and found a broken linkage. I welded it. I am hoping that a cleaning will do it. It looked like everything was unclogged and moving. I am trying to understand the governor linkage... It seems contrary to logic. Mine has a spring on the lower side where logic dictates a solid rod... It seems to need a push to open the throttle... Not the first weird monkey rig I've found on this tractor... Hmmm...

I get it now, but my lower governor linkage is made of 2 pieces of coat hanger and a huge spring...

#9 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Got the thing running finally... After mowing for 15 minutes or so, the engine dies, just like if I turned it off. This is after mowing the first day after a complete cleaning of the carb, It ran then for several hours with no problem.
Now that I think of it, The battery was fully charged. I just tested it and it was low. Is it possible that I am getting no charge and as a result, the engine is running off the battery? If so, what are my troubleshooting steps for the
A/C Delco generator/starter?

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 02:10 PM

If it is draining the battery then it isn't charging the battery which would eventually cause it to shut down. It could just be a ground on the regulator or it could be the generator.

Out of memory and not a lot of time to post this, you wanna check the voltage coming off the main wire on the starter labeled A with the tractor running. If it is less then 12.5 v or shows no voltage while running then it definitely isn't charging.

If that is the case then take a short piece of wire while the engine is running and ground the field terminal, marked with an F on the starter, and then check the voltage coming from the A terminal. If it is showing voltage then it means your regulator is bad or you have a bad ground on the regulator. If it still doesn't show any voltage then it is the starter/generator.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 03:14 PM

Got the thing running finally... After mowing for 15 minutes or so, the engine dies, just like if I turned it off. This is after mowing the first day after a complete cleaning of the carb, It ran then for several hours with no problem.
Now that I think of it, The battery was fully charged. I just tested it and it was low. Is it possible that I am getting no charge and as a result, the engine is running off the battery? If so, what are my troubleshooting steps for the
A/C Delco generator/starter?

I have the steps in an article of how to test a starter generator with your engine, but someone hasn't published it yet, not to mention any names, he already knows it well lol.

I am not kidding, it has been typed since PA Plow Day...

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Also, you could just replace the regulator with wither a new one or one that you know works and see if that fixes it, but that is just as tricky as testing the starter generator, especially on a Bolens, I didn't pull them off the ones I took the engines off of because they were that tough to get to.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have the steps in an article of how to test a starter generator with your engine, but someone hasn't published it yet, not to mention any names, he already knows it well lol.

I am not kidding, it has been typed since PA Plow Day...

Did you send me the article? I cant remember anymore....

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Usually your local electrical motor shop should be able to test the regulator and starter for you.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Did you send me the article? I cant remember anymore....

I published the article for the squeaky wheel. They were right telling me the squeaky wheel always gets the grease :poke: