8 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 04:49 PM

So...I picked up another Ariens GT yesterday.  Like I NEED another one!  :wallbanging:   I couldn't pass it up.  The price was right.  It's a GT18 with the K361 single cylinder OHV Kohler engine.  I have another with the same engine.  Love it! 

This is more of a parts machine.  The steel parts are rusty.  It's had a rough life.  Steering and steering assembly is sloppy loose.  Steering tube is actually loose where it goes into the steering box.  Front PTO is shot.  PTO shaft and bearing retainers may be salvageable (but I'm not counting on it), but the pulley and bearings are done.  The pulley has been riding loose on the shaft for a while.  Lots of play in the front axle/tube.  All hydraulic hoses need replaced.

The good...It has newer tires with nice ag tires on the back.  The mower deck is complete and not in too bad of shape (gearbox and spindles seem good).  Having a spare K361 is nice, since those aren't that easy to come by anymore.  I will probably rebuild it...after checking the condition of the head.  Body parts are in good shape.  It came with a spare K341 w/electric clutch (non Ariens). I may post a pic of the K341.  It has a torched off shaft sticking out of the flywheel.  I'm curious as to what it is off of.  The K341 is rusty, but not locked up, complete with carb.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 05:10 PM

What ? no pics. :camera:  :tapping_fingers:

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 05:57 PM

If they had a K341 with it, bet the OHV is shot and they were going to swap.  That would be my build engine and swap also. I have no love for the OHV engines.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:37 PM

Billy,

Any chance you would sell a couple parts off of it to me for my New Holland S14? Mine needs the Hydro shift pattern cover plate (if you call it that) and it needs a working parking brake cable. My lift cylinder is also leaking, but I'm sure one that has been sitting probably leaks too.

#5 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:43 PM

What ? no pics.:

I put it in the barn around 11:00 last night. I plan on getting some pics this weekend. It is rough and will likely be a donor for a GT16 I'm working on.

If they had a K341 with it, bet the OHV is shot and they were going to swap.  That would be my build engine and swap also. I have no love for the OHV engines.

I agree the K341 was a more reliable engine. I really like the power that K361 produces. I've been running my K361 for two years and have been very happy with it. I do make sure the cooling fins stay clean to keep it from overheating. Rebuilding the K361 will depend on what it looks like when I tear it down.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,516 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:49 PM

A parts tractor is always a good addition.

#7 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Billy,
Any chance you would sell a couple parts off of it to me for my New Holland S14? Mine needs the Hydro shift pattern cover plate (if you call it that) and it needs a working parking brake cable. My lift cylinder is also leaking, but I'm sure one that has been sitting probably leaks too.

Sure. Let me get into it and make sure those parts are good. The GT18 I run sat outside for years (at least 5 judging by the rust) and the lift cylinder was fine. Shoot me a PM.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 11:08 PM

I saw a local ad just a few minutes ago for an s-16hm with a parts machine. Too bad you are so far away, he's offering them up for 150.

All told with trailer rental and fuel it would run me 200.

I wish I had it.

Edited by Chopperhed, February 24, 2016 - 11:09 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Update...K361 isn't in bad shape.  I took the spark plug out and removed the valve cover.  Piston goes up & down, rocker arms move, valves move.  It appears the intake valve has dropped it's seat.  The intake valve does not shut completely.  These engines were bad for that when you overheat them.  With some new valve seats and a complete go-through, I think she'll be better than new! The engine is missing some shrouding tin.  That could be the culprit.??  I wouldn't run one of these without all shrouding in place, but I have seen some (non-K361) run fine without.

Pics as promised.  Be nice, this was purchased to be a parts machine.  :D

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2154.JPG
  • DSCF2155.JPG
  • DSCF2156.JPG
  • DSCF2158.JPG
  • DSCF2159.JPG

Edited by Billy M, February 29, 2016 - 09:30 AM.