Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:29 AM

I drove them all, Dodge, Ford, Toyota and Nissan, and the Chevy had them all whipped ... The Fords had to be the lousiest thing I ever sat in.. It felt cheap and plastic, and had more buttons than I have ever seen... YUCK! The Dodge was pretty nice but the steering felt sluggish, Toyota would be my second choice if it got better milage it would have been a tough choice, the Nissan was a monster!! Big heavy and unproven.

That's what's nice about different brands competing against each other , one year someone gets a great riding truck the others seem to follow , offer a big HP engine ,,next year another brand ups the HP .   What kind of warranty is GM giving ?  

• billievd16 and kristinb1 have said thanks

#77 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:07 AM

3-36 bumper to bumper with 5-100 powertrain. They are all pretty much the same, gm also has the first 2 years maintainace is free, tire rotation, oil changes, things like that.
  • Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#78 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Keith, you've had the truck at least a week now, How do you like it it so far? Initial thoughts !

#79 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 05:00 AM

So far so good, nice ride, gobs of power, comfortable, Chevy has done a very nice job ! Headlamps are the bomb!! It's like driving during the day!
Fuel economy is good , I will fill up next time at Shell to see if it improves more, as thier fuel is the best in my area. I want to see if it will get better than 20.1 average mpg? As i drive both side roads and highway every day. Friday, i just filled the tank for the first time since i got the truck. It has been 2 weeks today. I have even towed with it! It towed 3/4 cord of wood like it wasnt behind it at all.
Very nice truck so far. I have almost 600 miles on it now.
  • Alc, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#80 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 06:09 AM

Glad you are happy with it!

#81 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:59 AM

Switched fuel to Shell andy suspitions were correct!! Average fuel economy went from 17.4 mpg to 23.2 !!! This a combination of both city and highway. I am VERY HAPPY RIGHT NOW!! Even the wife loves the new truck.
  • Alc, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#82 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Switched fuel to Shell andy suspitions were correct!! Average fuel economy went from 17.4 mpg to 23.2 !!! This a combination of both city and highway. I am VERY HAPPY RIGHT NOW!! Even the wife loves the new truck.

Almost 6 mpg difference between two different fuel suppliers?

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#83 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 08:59 AM

You would think it would be closer, but this happened with my 1999 GMC Sierra as well, used the local Shell gasoline and my milage went up at least 3 mpg. You must know also that I am trying to get this kind of milage on purpose! My dad has almost the same truck and can't get better than 14 mpg. But he uses the remote start, and let'sit get warm, i told him that kills mpg but he still uses it LOL.
  • Alc said thank you

#84 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 10:19 AM

I track my MPG just about every tank.  I kept a spread sheet for nearly 1.5 years on my Tacoma to see what I could get different.  I travel WV, PA, and OH so I stop at many different gas stations.  I lost the spread sheet in a Hard drive crash.  Now I just check it each tank to see what I got.

The only difference I ever noted was a decrease in gas mileage starting when weather got cold, to an increase when weather got warmer.  And I found that after much reading that the Tacoma stays in a "warm up" fuel map which is much richer, for a longer time as it takes longer for the engine to reach operating temp.  This makes perfect sense to me.  I found a nice write up a guy actually made a setup to track how many gallons of gas his truck was using during the warm up cycle winter vs summer.  It was quite interesting!

I am not an extended warm up guy.  If frosted, I start my truck, get out, scrap the windows off, get in and take off.  If no frost, I start the truck as soon as I get in, buckle my belt, put my phone in place, and take off(probably a minute).

This is actually quite a large difference in MPG.  In the winter I tend to average 18.8.  When the weather warms, I average 22.8. 

I didn't even notice a difference using ethanol free gas.  I made it a point to find several places with "pure" gas

#85 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:17 PM

6 mpg difference should make national news and put all the other suppliers out of business.I think there must be something else at play if you are seeing that much of a spread like going up a 5% grade for 300 miles with one brand and going down a 5% grade for 300 miles with Shell.

#86 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 03:47 PM

Could be getting broke in? Everything's rolling easier?

#87 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 05:19 PM

IT could be my driving style ? But I have always been able to get better mileage  than most with the exact same equipment.

Both myself and my Brother Derek can get very good mileage out of our GM trucks, I tried like crazy to get better than 17.4 mpg out of Tundra and could not do it ? And that truck drove really nice, best thing about it , it did not wear tires hardly at all. Alignment was perfect on it too. But alas , it was too small and would not tow. So now I have the Silverado.  

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#88 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:19 AM

IT could be my driving style ? But I have always been able to get better mileage  than most with the exact same equipment.

Both myself and my Brother Derek can get very good mileage out of our GM trucks, I tried like crazy to get better than 17.4 mpg out of Tundra and could not do it ? And that truck drove really nice, best thing about it , it did not wear tires hardly at all. Alignment was perfect on it too. But alas , it was too small and would not tow. So now I have the Silverado.  

It's not your MPG that amazes me,it's the 6 MPG difference in mileage from one brand to another.I just find it hard to believe that one brand of gas could offer a 6 MPG advantage over another brand.

#89 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:15 AM

No ,not when you consider all the variables, water, ethonal and winter additives, shell may have already switched to summer blend in my location?