• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:49 PM

In early tests, the new Titan didn't fair well in performance and MPG, mainly because it weighed 7300 lbs! As for a particular brand being ugly, we all have our biases. With tax laws as they are, there aren't many breakers, buying or leasing. Last time I leased was 1985, after that the 100% deduction went away from leases, and so did I.
  • Alc, tracyhe18 and OlgaSpokzes have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:53 PM

I would never buy a new truck of any make.  You take big  hit when you drive it out the dealership as it instantly becomes a used vehicle.  I would never make a truck payment that is more than my mortgage.  Come trade in time, be it 2 years or 10 years you take another hit.  I don't live on the road so 3 oil changes a year at 3K intervals does just fine.  Would not lease a new truck either.  Private pre-owned dealers have real nice vehicle that can be leased that have come off new leases for a whole lot less than a new.  If I want new smell I buy it a Wal Mart.  Just my opinion but to each his own.

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#18 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 08:13 PM

In early tests, the new Titan didn't fair well in performance and MPG, mainly because it weighed 7300 lbs! As for a particular brand being ugly, we all have our biases. With tax laws as they are, there aren't many breakers, buying or leasing. Last time I leased was 1985, after that the 100% deduction went away from leases, and so did I.

Wow, that's heavy-my '99 Dodge RAM2500 only weighs a little over 4,000lbs empty, as for leasing or buying a new truck, not worth it in my opinion.  Besides cost, don't forget that emissions have all but ruined the newer diesels.

• Alc and toppop52 have said thanks

#19 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 08:35 PM

my cousin who has a 99 Chevy 4wd dually 4 door recently blew the engine it's got close to 300k on it. he figured doing all the work himself and sending it for paint it would be way cheaper to do a full frame off restoration of the truck new engine new trans than to replace it with a new chevy truck of the same type
  • Alc said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Besides cost, don't forget that emissions have all but ruined the newer diesels.

Boy are you right there. The epa has taken the world's most simple engine and saddled it with fluids, filters, cleaners, and 25 sensors. Now it's an expensive time bomb waiting to cost you thousands when it breaks. Not the engine itself but the emission system.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 24, 2016 - 09:15 PM.

• Alc and adamjd200 have said thanks

#21 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 09:17 PM

Well the old Toyota tundra is not doing so well, it needs all 4 wheel bearings and rear brakes.. Just for starters, then there is an emissions related issue as all I can smell is gas fumes.... Truck is not worth the repairs.... We're talking dang near $2000.00 in parts and a press to do all the bearings.. So off to look for a new one... I'm leaning hard to leasing a brand new Chevy , half the cost of a new one, and with this I can just lease another at the end of term and still not equal the cost of buying the first one.. Dang they are soooo much money!
One I really want is the new Titan XD with the new 5.0 Cummins , they are big and rugged and come factory equipped with a gooseneck hitch and 12,300lbs tow in a half ton! Chevy can do 11,000 .
I hate Dodge and Fords are way too ugly....

If you like the idea of a diesel what about a new Colorado with the Duramax option?  Or is that truck too small for your needs?  You do say you are replacing a Tundra which would be a tad bigger.

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 09:22 PM

If you like the idea of a diesel what about a new Colorado with the Duramax option? Or is that truck too small for your needs? You do say you are replacing a Tundra which would be a tad bigger.

I didn't know they were doing that. Doesn't sound that hot.

http://www.cnet.com/...lorado-duramax/
  • Alc said thank you

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,728 Thanks
  • 8,910 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 10:06 PM

If you like the idea of a diesel what about a new Colorado with the Duramax option?  Or is that truck too small for your needs?  You do say you are replacing a Tundra which would be a tad bigger.

The Colorado diesel was supposed to be out by December. The latest news is that it failed GM's testing and they are changing something. That is after the engine was EPA certified.

My guess? The 2.8 Duramax passed emissions testing partially be design, partially by software borrowed from VW, and are currently scrambling to figure out how not to get caught.
  • Alc said thank you

#24 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 02:54 AM

The Titan is out, too much $$ for poor fuel milage, this is a key point, it needs to get better than 14 mpg highway!! This is all my tundra gets... I may just keep looking... I really want a Duramax 2006-2007 model but they are all but impossible to find without a pile of miles..
Time will tell.. And I hate shopping and tire kicking!!

#25 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 03:06 AM

Key reason for the Colorado diesel delay is the poor fuel quality here in the states!! I got this from a very reliable source that works for gm. This engine has been out for over 5 years in gm trucks world wide, I know I rode in some in Aruba and south America!! To get proper emissions is proving a real challenge!
The big Duramax is the cleanest running diesel on the road , they got that one right! Then i hear gm is working with Cat on a new engine?? God i hope not...
  • Alc said thank you

#26 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Chevrolet has had the ugliest truck on the market since they started that "square" body in 1973

To each his own. 

The 73-87 GM/Chevy truck are the best looking ones they ever made other than couple of the 50's models, but that's my opinion

If you want to see an ugly truck, search 2017 GM/Chevy truck, looks like Ford and Dodge had an illegitimate child.  :hitting_self_roller:

I won't be buying any newer vehicle unless I can pay cash for it. I vow to never pay another car payment.

• dodge trucker and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#27 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:29 AM

To each his own. 

The 73-87 GM/Chevy truck are the best looking ones they ever made other than couple of the 50's models, but that's my opinion

There is something about a square body that I just love.  The simplicity of it maybe.  I am not entirely sure, but they are the best looking truck ever designed!  I am not sure why trucks went from being utilitarian vehicles to luxury vehicles.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#28 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Just my opinion, but after '72 all the trucks are fairly ugly. Don't know what the manufacturers are thinking. A friend of mine just bought a new Dodge Ecodiesel, the dealer has had it more than he has.

#29 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 09:30 AM

If your not stuck on a new truck there's plenty of good used trucks out there, I just got a 2011 GMC Sierra with 56,000 on it and it's still looks like a new truck. I took it to New York a few weeks ago and brought home 5 cubs on an 18' trailer and it pulled all the big hills on the way home just fine, I get 19mpg on the highway and I got 13 with the loaded trailer. We've been shopping for a new car for my wife and let me tell you that's a huge pita, she keeps showing me cars that look cool but have high miles and I will only buy low mile rust free cars so there's been an argument or two. Lol
  • Alc said thank you

#30 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 09:55 AM

The Colorado diesel is at dealers now, Sweeny in Youngstown OH and Al Serra in MI are advertising multiple units, our local dealers have several between them. As for not being hot, well they have a 7600-7700 lb tow rating and got 31.3 mpg in Z71 4x4 Off Road setup, in a real world test. Style wise they are very nice and are close to the size of full size trucks from 40 years ago.

• Alc and Cat385B have said thanks