skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Well the old Toyota tundra is not doing so well, it needs all 4 wheel bearings and rear brakes.. Just for starters, then there is an emissions related issue as all I can smell is gas fumes.... Truck is not worth the repairs.... We're talking dang near $2000.00 in parts and a press to do all the bearings.. So off to look for a new one... I'm leaning hard to leasing a brand new Chevy , half the cost of a new one, and with this I can just lease another at the end of term and still not equal the cost of buying the first one.. Dang they are soooo much money!
One I really want is the new Titan XD with the new 5.0 Cummins , they are big and rugged and come factory equipped with a gooseneck hitch and 12,300lbs tow in a half ton! Chevy can do 11,000 .
I hate Dodge and Fords are way too ugly....
  • Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I do like my new Nissan truck
  • MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 01:34 PM

I will lease one  when the present one gives out.  Do you really NEED that big a truck  to replace a tundra ? ?  Sounds like a whole bunch of "I WANT" very little "I NEED" in that line of thinking.

• Alc said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 01:37 PM

Leasing may be the best way but read the contract. Will you be held responsible for the rotting of the frame which is very common around here? I've been shopping for a newer vehicle but anything over 7 years old there is a risk of a bad frame. Many of the leases have high penelties for extra mileage, dings and scratches, "skipped" maintenance. Let us know what you learn. Good Luck, Rick

BTW I was convinced to restore my 85 C10 and maybe my 55 3600.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 01:49 PM

I am looking as well.

Went last night and looked at a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi.  42k 3k dealer discount 3k rebates.  36 plus tax and title.

I need a bigger cab! 

I would not lease for anything in the world.  mileage restraints, dents, dings, maintenance cost, ect all add up at the end of the term.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#6 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 03:03 PM

I guy I worked with years ago leased a car for his wife, at the end of the lease they turned it in. The dealership hit them for a new paint job because the paint had swirl marks in it, they were from keeping it washed and waxed. I don't know if they are still pulling that one.

Another friend at the same job leased a jeep, he had the miles per month figured out and more than once over the lease period he had to skip seeing his son because he didn't have enough miles. He was divorced.

Just a couple of gotchas I know about for information purposes. Unless I had a business I'd never lease a vehicle either.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 03:52 PM

Milage is not an issue, they have insurance for the dings and scratches at the end that is cheap insurance!!! I need to tow hay wagons and a stock trailer for beef, and with 2 kids I need the crew cab.
  • Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 04:13 PM

Chevrolet has had the ugliest truck on the market since they started that "square" body in 1973

#9 pick-to-stone ONLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hey calling my 78 stepside ugle

Edited by pick-to-stone, February 24, 2016 - 04:19 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#10 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Good luck on the search. Keith , you're right about the cost comparison. As long as you can keep the miles down , its a great way to go. I've seen the way you keep things, they won't find much wrong at the trade-in. I agree with the insurance too. And you always have a new vehicle with no repairs to worry about.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 06:04 PM

I never heard a happy ending to a lease....I'm not sure how paying money monthly to rent a vehicle that you can only drive so much and each stone chip cost you money at the end..

I am in the market for a truck myself.  I currently have my Toyota Tacoma that I love.  But well, my family has out grown my truck.  With the 3rd child on the way there is no way I am going to fit 2 car seats and a booster in the back of my double cab Tacoma.  I went last night a test drove a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the Hemi, tow package, and the "base" option package.  On the lot for 42,000.  Dealer discounted to 38,000, rebates of 3,000.  So 35,000 plus tax, title, and fees for the truck.  That's a big hunk of debt.  I'd end up taking on a loan for around 25,000 when it was all said and done with trade in.

I like the truck, but it feels no different than my 2004 ram that had a slew of front end troubles, ball joints, tie rod ends, ect ect.  Not to mention the terrible wheel bearing design.  I lost a wheel, axle, and bearing along with 4k in damage after my front end slammed on the ground at 5mph.

But I just can't bring myself to buy any domestic vehicle!  No import offers a 1/2 ton truck that I like.  I test drove the Titan that you described and I just didn't like it.  It ran great, but the price, and I was not sold on the look inside or outside.

• Alc said thank you

#12 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 06:08 PM

I recently moved to GMC autos and have been more than impressed with build quality and performance. We have an Acadia SUV but the trucks are also very nice. As far as leasing goes to each his own but the loopholes are what will get you we have many friends that leased trucks and they are very hard on you if you take them off the road or tow things with them and most require a much higher insurance if you are going to tow. I have always been partial to ownership and nowadays you can trade them in in two years and get near purchase price back as long as repurchasing their make of vehicle especially if you upgrade.
  • Alc said thank you

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 06:28 PM

I never heard a happy ending to a lease....I'm not sure how paying money monthly to rent a vehicle that you can only drive so much and each stone chip cost you money at the end..

I am in the market for a truck myself.  I currently have my Toyota Tacoma that I love.  But well, my family has out grown my truck.  With the 3rd child on the way there is no way I am going to fit 2 car seats and a booster in the back of my double cab Tacoma.  I went last night a test drove a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the Hemi, tow package, and the "base" option package.  On the lot for 42,000.  Dealer discounted to 38,000, rebates of 3,000.  So 35,000 plus tax, title, and fees for the truck.  That's a big hunk of debt.  I'd end up taking on a loan for around 25,000 when it was all said and done with trade in.

I like the truck, but it feels no different than my 2004 ram that had a slew of front end troubles, ball joints, tie rod ends, ect ect.  Not to mention the terrible wheel bearing design.  I lost a wheel, axle, and bearing along with 4k in damage after my front end slammed on the ground at 5mph.

But I just can't bring myself to buy any domestic vehicle!  No import offers a 1/2 ton truck that I like.  I test drove the Titan that you described and I just didn't like it.  It ran great, but the price, and I was not sold on the look inside or outside.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to find a smaller family?

• MH81, Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 06:31 PM

If you lease through the mfgers leasing option they are usually pretty good, you can't destroy the danged thing , but normal damage is fine. For $15 extra a month its worth it at the end of the lease not to have any worries. And all maintenance is included too. $440 a month for 39 months on a loaded z71 crew cab is pretty decent compared to $675 a month to own the same rig, and the Titan XD has no deals, $750 a month...

#15 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Unless I had a business I'd never lease a vehicle either.

A good friend of mine is a small business owner and said leasing was more costly that buying a new truck in his situation.