• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Onanparts OFFLINE  

Onanparts
  • Member No: 69344
  • 94 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 04:01 PM

The last time I found parts at a Cummings Diesel dealer, he told me outright that when the warehouse goes empty, you're gonna be out of luck, cause the company ain't gonna make anything new any more.

Never heard of a "Cummings Diesel Dealer" ? Maybe you meant the writer? E. E. Cummings? He wrote Poems, plays etc. but never made any engines that I'm aware of.

If you spoke to a "Cummins Dealer" then clearly he was extremely ignorant and or severely misinformed by telling you that when the warehouse goes empty, they ain't gonna make anything new anymore.

The best way to "correct" the "misinformation" you received is by presenting verifiable truth. this is very easy to do. The images you see here are of several "Cummins/Onan replacement parts obtained by me yesterday, June 10th 2016, from a Cummins/Onan Distributor.

They are recently manufactured parts, not reboxed old stock. Please note the "date codes" on the packaging.

The 166-0785 electronic ignition control module was made May 23rd 2016. Almost 3 weeks ago according to my calculator. This part has applications going back to 1986. 

The 166-0772 ignition coil was made on May 24th 2016. It has applications going back to the early 1970's and was last used in production engines about 1986-1987. 

These are but a few of the examples of New Replacement Parts still being manufactured right now in 2016.

There are some parts that become obsolete due to low demand, non wear type parts etc. However, most of the parts that do wear out eventually, are still in production. 

But where are the vast majority of these replacement parts made?

They are Made in The U.S.A. !  :thumbs: 

It's obvious the "Cummings Dealer" you spoke with is full of Bull!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1660785B.jpg
  • 1660772A.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#32 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:07 PM

I will agree there is alot of misinformation out there

I get alot of this with my Wisconsin line of parts I carry, lots of customers I get think they are out of business or have been told by other "Dealers" they are out of business when that simply is not the case, I get parts dated 2016 when I order from them even for a 50+ year old engine :bounce:  :thumbs:

• LPBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#33 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:12 PM

I love my BF/MS and B43M engines. How good are the Onan P series? Better or not?  I might go look at a Performer 20 that supposedly is a good engine that lost spark.  Paul

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:41 PM

I have a P220 and like it very much!

• Paulgo said thank you

#35 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Never heard of a "Cummings Diesel Dealer" ? Maybe you meant the writer? E. E. Cummings? He wrote Poems, plays etc. but never made any engines that I'm aware of.

ha ha ha the damn fool made a typo .... that is sooooo funny !!!!!

Anyway .... I  found I can get parts through the Onan parts website.  Sometimes I use the local John Deere dealer too.  But the question of the original post was "why don't more people re-power with an Onan engine?".   My point is still valid.  Ten or twenty years from now, I can't be certain Onan will still be around to supply a long block or short block if I need one.   Given the fact that onan has changed hands as it did, I also can't be certain that onan will still be around to supply parts.   That is why I plan to go with a briggs or kohler.

#36 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 12:04 AM

Since we are talking about re-powering with NEW engines here .... tell me ..... are NEW Onan engines being made anymore?  If so, where are they being sold as i haven't seen them around much lately.

#37 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:56 PM

The old Onan alum engines are no longer made, by anybody as far as I know.

As for the repower, I wasn't thinking new when I asked, I was thinking more along the lines of "I have one on the shelf" or "my buddy has one I can have" kinda thing, to avoid buying a new engine.

As for 20 years from now, that's a long time.

Dan 

• Paulgo said thank you

#38 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 12:15 PM

Twenty years is a long time but I looked at it this way.  My Bolens QT 16 was made sometime around 1973 (give or take a year).  I bought it used around 1985 with a 16HP B43M.  I re-powered with an Onan Long Block around 1990 with a B48M 18 HP when the oil smoking (without an oil pump nor filter) threw the far side rod.  

Around 2010, it threw the far side rod too (the typical common break down with Onan), the camshaft cracked in half, and had 2 starter motors repairs. Three years ago, the PTO burned out.  It was the original and Onan had a very odd way of mounting it.  Being so old and so odd, nothing new available so I had to learn how to re-wire it myself.  The odd mounted PTO is not transferable to any other engine, including another Onan.   The latest issue is the starter motor drive wore out.  The casting bosses on the aluminum oil pan cracked, the starter motor wore out due to the mis-alignment of the starter motor, and it chewed out the flywheel starter teeth too.  I still had the original B43M for parts, so I swapped out the parts.  I got lucky with that. 

The original B43M had 17 years on it before it too threw a rod and was pulled out.  The 1990 re-powered long block is due for a change.  After all the dated antique design issues it has.  The tractor is around 43 years old.  It's had it's pump repaired multiple times, along with multiple drive shaft repairs.  I had made improvements (installed power steering), built a 3 point hitch, changed the motor mount system, installed a transmission oil cooler. and updated some of the electrical equipment.  I bought a rear discharge mower, front end loader, and 5 foot wide tiller.  It needs a complete electrical re-wiring job.  I plan to change the sheet metal after I re-power, and completely redesign the electrical system to match.  I suppose the tractor is starting to morph into something other than being a Bolens.  The Onan B48M is around 25 years old.

I still need to keep the Bolens running in the long term so I have to ask myself, "do I want to sink more money into a semi-worn out motor with odd parts that can wear out and can't be replaced?"  After all, the Tractor is 43 years old.

Or

Is it time to update for the next twenty years with something I can still get parts for over the long haul?   That would mean the tractor should well last into being 65 years old.   Lucky for me I've been buying spare parts that have a history of wearing out.  I don't want to have to buy a new engine for $1200 after I had just put maybe another $400 into old engine repairs 5 years before.

So, does it pay to re-power with an obsolete engine design and with a shaky limited parts source for the next twenty years?

Remember, Studebaker once owned Onan too.  The same history Studebaker had, are interesting the same parts supply issues with Onan now.  That's why I'm not in favor of re-powering with even a used Onan.

• DL-North said thank you

#39 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Not sure what Onan's ownership by Studebaker has to do with anything, Studebaker was very hands off.

And Onan has been part of Cummins for 30 years now. Any lost of parts service is due to Cummins.

Dan

Remember, Studebaker once owned Onan too.  The same history Studebaker had, are interesting the same parts supply issues with Onan now.

#40 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 12:33 AM

Studebaker was a very long well established American made company.  Studebaker had a long sliding agonizing demise, even after merging with the icon of American prestige auto companies - Packard.

Onan also is a long established well known engine company.  It has been purchased and re-purchased by many large corporations.  It has a long history of making engines at one time, but not any longer.

Who would have thought Studebaker would have been gone in under 10 years, back in 1955?  What were the chances of finding replacement parts for a older Studebaker 20 years later?

Who would have thought Packard would have been gone in under 10 years, back in 1955?  What were the chances of finding replacement parts for a older Packard 20 years later?

What will be the chances of finding replacements parts for an already older Onan, 20 years from now?

#41 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 02:17 AM

Well, this is obviously a question for Cummins, but I do know what you mean to some extent about old tech.

When I was looking at what tractor to get next, to replace a mid 80's Deere, I found the Bolens and decided I liked them, but they are old, I ended up getting a Troy Bilt GTX 20, a 1999 version, so it has the Bolens engineering and stout drive with a newer modern engine, the vee OHV Kolar, seems like the best of both worlds. So I upgraded by 15 years to a 17 year old tractor (with 365 hr).  :) 

As for keeping it 20 years, maybe but not likely, and if I'm still even needing to cut grass 20 years from now, I won't care about what I'm using.

Dan

What will be the chances of finding replacements parts for an already older Onan, 20 years from now?

#42 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 07:40 PM

As for me, I have been running mine since 1986 (ish).  It now cuts 2 acres of grass with 167 trees and 4 buildings (takes 6 hours at best).  With the front end loader, it clears a quarter acre of Wisconsin winter snow.  I need it to help tend the fruit tree orchard.  And it tills the soil (5 feet wide at a time with extensions).    Even if it doesn't last 20 years from now, the tractor is going to always be busy almost everyday.  So I look at 20 years from now as well as tomorrow.