• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Onan made more Diesel engines than gas. Air-cooled & water cooled. 1cyl, 2cyl & 4cyl. The J-series were around from the 1960's up to the early 90's. :)

Never owned an Onan diesel, but would like to have several!   Just never came up on one to buy.

#17 Onanparts OFFLINE  

Onanparts
  • Member No: 69344
  • 94 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:51 PM

And some trivia for Onanparts,

do you remember the Q and/or P series diesel engines?  Not sure if they ever got in production,

the Q was a 1 or 2 cyl vertical cylinder air cooled to replace the small J series.  

The P was a IIRC 4 cylinder flat opposed air cooled for the military.

Both of these were in development when we were doing the L/A's. We shared lab/shop space with them. 

Dan

Can't say I've come across any Q or P series diesels. Primary area of interest is with the J series Gensets, I have a pair of 12.5KW JC 4 bangers, and all of the smaller engines found in Tractors, Portable welder/generators etc. The B series, BF, BG, B43, B48 etc. and the P series/Performer, P216, P218, P220 & my favorite gasser, the P224G. Also the Iron block twins, CCK, CCKA etc.

• DL-North said thank you

#18 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:54 PM

For some reason I always liked the NH/N52/T260 engine, but they kind of  down played it, especially once they increased the displacement of the P series to 60 in^3.

I'm not sure why, if it was money, ie; cheaper to make the 1 series, or if the NH had a flaw, it's definitely built heavier.

Dan  

#19 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 08:02 PM

Back around 1990ish I repowered my 1974 QT16 from the  original Onan B43M to a B48M long block.  Looking back,  I would rather have gotten a Briggs instead.  I wrote to Briggs for advice in choosing something compatible to the original Onan but they thought I was being too impractical (I still have the letter the file) trying to change brand

Aside from a few modifications, Onan design hasn't significantly changed since 1920.  The last time I found parts at a Cummings Diesel dealer, he told me outright that when the warehouse goes empty, you're gonna be out of luck, cause the company ain't gonna make anything new any more.

So figuring if I need parts like 10 or 20 years from now, the odds are better that you can get Briggs parts instead of Onan.

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 10:10 AM

I have a big block Onan in my 4041 Powr'Max, and had a B48M in my MF 1855, nothing sounds like an Onan, and no gas small engine has the flat torque curve.

• KennyP and Paulgo have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I'm an Onan lover also. But the Kohler Magnum 18 in Alice has made a believer out of me! Great engines on both fronts!

• Paulgo said thank you

#22 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Long ago, the story  I got was that Onan was going out of business.  Cummins bought out the brand name, parts warehouse, and tooling. Cummins wanted the generator side of the company.  To make things worse, the Federal Gov't EPA ruled that Onan couldn't pass the latest air pollution emissions standards.  But as a gasoline generator set, the emissions test was waivered.  So Cummins sold the patent rights to Linmar of Canada to make stand alone engines.   As an imported limited production engine, the EPA standards were waivered.  So the Onan name was changed to Linmar of Canada.   The EPA regulations were stiffened and Linmar couldn't export the formally named Onan (now Linmar) engine into the USA.

So as a replacement engine (neither short nor long block), Linear (Onan) can't be found unless it's been sitting on a shelf for 20 years.  Cummins still has the old spare parts warehouses, but a when a part is gone, it's gone forever.

#23 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Well, I don't know that we were going out of business, sales as I remember were pretty strong.  Like I said upstream, they didn't do themself's any favors by putting most of the R&D $$'s into the L series that I worked.  They basically sold the gas opposed engines into the ground.

Over the years they had refined the design a lot, but there only so much you can do with a flat head engine.  My understanding is that they did have elec ignition and if not in production, were working on fuel injection. 

In 1986 Cummins bought their 1st piece of Onan, back then it was a private company 2/3rd owned by McGraw Edison and 1/3 owned by Hawker Siddley. Cummins bought the 2/3 portion by McGraw.

In 1992 Cummins bought the final 1/3 from Hawker.

1997 - Onan closes its Huntsville engine manufacturing plant and sells their tooling and technology to Linamar Corp of Canada.

Note that this is well after Cummins owned all of Onan.

I and most anybody else agrees/believes that Cummins only wanted the gen set business/capabilities. 

Dan

Long ago, the story  I got was that Onan was going out of business.  Cummins bought out the brand name, parts warehouse, and tooling. Cummins wanted the generator side of the company.

• LPBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#24 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Dan good information and I agree. I was part of the Huntsville group.

#25 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:17 PM

I was in Huntsville only only once, before the diesel line/addition was built. When I was there, IIRC the walls were up but they hadn't poured the floor yet. And it was hot and humid. 5 min outdoors and it was like being in a swimming pool. 

And a story, I was there to provide assistance when they hand built the 1st 3 L engines. When I got there they had just bolted the heads on. We finished the 3 and put them on dyno stands and started running them. Got them run-in and started running lug curves to check performance. They put out power OK but the smoke was high, by about 1 1/2 or 2 points. We tried this and that and couldn't figure out why it was high. Lots of work on the smoke meter to be sure it was correct.  I had to leave but I learned later that they took the engines apart and discovered that the pistons were installed backwards. On the NA's you could do that, they didn't have cooling jets. Anyway, the piston cavity wasn't lined up with the throat in the hot plug.    

Dan

#26 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Where did all those L series engines go. I never see any listed for sale.

#27 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 05:27 PM

They are out there, but it's been 25 years sense the program was cancelled.

Plus they didn't sell all that many, we went into production IIRC in the early 1980's and were cancelled in Aug 1990.   

So maybe 10 years max production, and I believe the volume was in the 4-5,000 per year.  What I don't know is if that would include gen sets with the L in.  The most in a year was after the cancellation notice went out, the dealers stocked up, with sales in the 10K range.

So maybe there were 50-60,000 made total, not very many after all these years. 

Dan

#28 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:35 PM

I was there when L started and when L ended sad times