• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Months ago I bought a 222 that had a busted steering wheel, seat and no brakes. Joes' supplied the parts I needed months ago. I'm not finished yet because I've run into a couple of problems. I can't get the old wheel off. I drove the pin out but even with a puller, it won't come off. Tomorrow, I may just have to cut it.

The brake band replacement went easy. I pulled the RR tire off and slimed it because it goes down in 2 weeks. While the wheel and tire were off I figured that I'd put a tire chain on it. I dug out the nice set that came with a 220 I bought last spring. The chains were like new with the ice cleats. Unfortunately, they were 8 inches too long. So, I tried the set that came with a Simplicity 3310. They were  4 inches too long. I do not want to cut these because they may fit my HT23 or one of the other bigger GTs

I then got out the box of chains that came with the MTD 860 I bought last spring. These looked brand new and surprise surprise, there were 2 sets in the box(enough for 4 tires). As I looked at them I realized that these were not normal GT tire chains. They are scaled down copies of the chains that I use on my Ford 2000 farm tractor. It turns out that they are kind of narrow for the Case tires. I've got to look for some other chains to use. These will probably fit the 725 and the B1. I do need 10 of those "J" hooks that hold the cross chains. Good Luck, Rick

SD530947.JPG SD530948.JPG SD530949.JPG

Edited by boyscout862, February 22, 2016 - 08:54 PM.

• Alc, Traill95 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:30 AM

This project for sale then? Someone else to finish it? That's what title meant to me.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 08:50 AM

This project for sale then? Someone else to finish it? That's what title meant to me.

Not for sale, just frustrated and hoping someone knew something about those strange tire chains. I used it for awhile and would like to get it back to where I can use it again. Without chains, it slips alot. The new steering wheel would be alot more comfortable. I'll work on it later today and when I get frustrated enough, I'll use a saw on the steering wheel hub and cut down some auto tire chains to fit.

I runs very well and is one of only 4 that are currently running. The wife is eyeing it because of the hydrailic drive and the hydraulic lift. Good Luck, Rick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steering wheel, tire chains