• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • Member No: 80874
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 06:59 PM

hey all,  I have a broken seat spring on my sulky ( think that's what its called),..... the flat bar  from the seat to the lower portion of it....does anyone know if this is able to be welded ? im thinking it is probably made of spring steel which I believe is problematic due to the affects of welding on the carbon content of the steel....anyone ever had one of these welded before and if so how did it hold up ? would prefer replacing it but im sure finding just that part of the sulky would be rather difficult these days ...thanks for any input.....

Edited by jayvest, February 22, 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#2 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 448 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Never welded one but have bent them to make shorter

If you don't mind the look, you could bolt back together with metal plate bolted on to make it one piece again till you find a replacement

These springs were also used on lots of horse drawn equipment, should be able to find one at a old engine swap meet

If you know anyone into horses they may have a old seat spring around the farm

• jayvest said thank you

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:59 PM

hey all,  I have a broken seat spring on my sulky ( think that's what its called),..... the flat bar  from the seat to the lower portion of it....does anyone know if this is able to be welded ? im thinking it is probably made of spring steel which I believe is problematic due to the affects of welding on the carbon content of the steel....anyone ever had one of these welded before and if so how did it hold up ? would prefer replacing it but im sure finding just that part of the sulky would be rather difficult these days ...thanks for any input.....

You are correct, the weld even if it looks like it's good and holds ,it will fail, welding spring steel causes de-carbonization of the spring steel making it brittle. The tempering process cannot be effectively recreated in the weld, to much heat to soon in a small area, if your piece is indeed spring steel it will need to be replaced.
  • Chopperhed and jayvest have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Could a automotive spring shop make you one ?
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#5 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:54 PM

thanks guys ....id hate to scrap this sulky and have it lost to time ....anyone know  anywhere/anybody who may have one ?

#6 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 11:00 PM

Any old school spring shop can make you one, if not, get on line and look for the guys in the cottage industry. I know a few guys that can do work similar to what you need. problem is distance and size. The oven needed to treat a spring like that is bigger than the guys I know are using.

There may also be a company somewhere that sells resto parts for stuff like that.
  • Alc and jayvest have said thanks

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:31 AM

Could you post a picture and some sizes for what your looking for ?  It might give someone another idea

#8 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 09:04 AM

A shop that makes truck springs can do it for you. I have no idea what the cost would be though. I live in R.I. and there is a place in providence that has been making springs since the horse and buggy days. Palmer springs is their name. Look in your local phone book for spring shops.

Other than that swap meets are another option.

• jayvest said thank you

#9 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 08:11 PM

thanks for the info on palmer springs...I checked out there website and they can definitely do it....I don't have any shops like that in my area,the places that do springs around here re bend leaf springs but from the few I talked to are not capable of making what I need which is basically a flat piece of spring steel bent at opposing 45 degree angles on each end......I was told they needed to be put in a oven ...anyhow, I think ill give them a call a see what kind of estimate they'll give me ....I could find another sulky for $100 - 150 bucks if I wanted to , but if can get this spring made for the same price range or under ill try and save it ...thanks again for everyones input ......! :wave:

• Alc said thank you