• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Sorry guys for another "what would you pic" thread, but I'm gonna do it anyways :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

I am looking for some better tires for the front of the suburban, it has some turf tires on it, but they slide quite a bit, pretty much in whatever condition I am using it in; mowing yard, plowing snow, plowing garden, hauling through the field, etc. Whenever I get my mowing tractor gong this will be a utility only so I may want the more aggressive one and just deal with it for now.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with either of the two below? I like the looks of the more aggressive tire which is normally used on snow blowers, but I am thinking it will tear up the yard since I do mow with this tractor. The All trail type might be better all around, but then I worry if they will pack with mud from the closer tread. I am torn between the 2

They are similar in price.

I still am considering an ag tire for the front too, price on those is about $20/pr cheaper, but worried about tearing up the yard also.

Kenda snow lug.jpg

Kenda AT.jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Go with x trac. I am going to when I set mine up for snow duty.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#3 cpg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:31 PM

I would go with a tri-rib like big tractors have. Should be okay on the lawn as long as the ground isn't too soft and you are going slow and they tend to do pretty well in mud and snow.

• MH81 and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63893
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 908 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 03:14 PM

I got Tri ribs on my Bolens 1254.

• TAHOE said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I have tri-ribs on the 725 and they aren't too bad, but I am not paying for the 16/6.5 size in tri ribs so that's not an option. My rims are too wide for the smaller 4x4.8-8 size, the sidewalls would be too stretched out for my liking.

I thought about the V-61's but more than I want to pay for them too.

• wvbuzzmaster and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 928 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 04:20 PM

I personally run AGs but to each his own, I haven't had any issues with lawn damage and we have sandy soil but then again not sure I would care to much if I got more seat time with a roller anyhow. Good luck!

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Maybe just need more weight up front to keep biting ground?  Deestone brand tires are a little cheaper than most.  GCT.com or Greaterclevelandtractor.com maybe is place to look. Get better price for pairs and they come in about 2 days, real nice.  Think they also have Carlisle's offered, not sure on prices on those. All tires anymore are expensive.

#8 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,614 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 06:33 PM

... I thought about the V-61's but more than I want to pay for them too.

That's what I was going to recommend.

I have them of the forklift and the HDT1000.  Even on my wet sloppy side yard they work well and don't slide in the turns.  Nor do they leave a deep track.

I know that they are a bit on the pricy side, but think about it.  You aren't going to be replacing them every week or so.  They are a one time investment.

In any event, not matter what tire you decide to go with, you might think about loading them up a bit.  Some extra weight on the front will help with traction and maybe keep the front from sliding so much.  I have Rim Guard in the front tires of the HDT100 and that added 33#/tire. That definitely helped when I had the landscape trailer on the 3-pt with the forklift loaded on it. Was a lot of tongue weight on it and the front still stayed down.

Edited by OldBuzzard, February 22, 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#9 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 415 Thanks
  • 211 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:38 PM

heres a price list from ME Miller Tire

Just click on the size and will take you too the different styles they have

• DH1 said thank you

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Take an older (narrow) set of front rims from a Burban and put the tri ribs on.
You'll do better with them and you should be able to find the rims around.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the comments, still up in the air.

Dave, I would consider the V61's, but I have saved up a minimal amount of $$$ so they are probably out. I normally buy my tires through Greater Cleveland and I can get 2 tires shipped for the price of any 1 tire from Miller.

I know I need weight, this tractor seems so light up front. My options are basically loaded front wheels, that maybe 10#'s and making some wheel weights. With the deck on or my winch, the mule drive is being used so can not make a front weight for that.

Alan, I thought of that, hard to find skinny rims out here for less than and arm and leg. Should just steal my son's 725

wheels/ tires....Muwahahaha. I also have the bucket on the front so I would like a wider ground contact when using it. I know the tri ribs will work on the bucket, but I would like wider ones.