• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:55 PM

You are quite right Iain! Hoping you might have forgotton that!

I will have to get an air filter housing from the States then plus a few other items.

Model Serial# is 192-02. Serial number very hard to read but will endeavour to decipher it sometime.
  • KennyP said thank you

#32 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 04:59 PM

That is a nice find - hope you find an air filter housing for it. I noticed the caution decal on the panel below the dash and that it has a black steering wheel.  My second 1050 has a black steering wheel with the same style of panel that has the studs welded to it rather than the five holes with bolts through them to hold the dash on.  Wonder if that caution decal is original and also if the shift pattern and PTO decal is still readable and if so what it looks like as my 1050 with the black wheel had some newer style decals for the shift pattern and PTO and I am trying to figure out if they were original or if someone changed some panels on mine at one time.  The panel below the dash also had the newer style caution decal that goes all the way across.

I will have another look at the decals and so forth this coming weekend. Thanks
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#33 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 02:51 PM

I collected the 1050 from the lock up this morning and bought it back to my house where I gave it a a quick wash to get rid of the grime. I drained the transmission oil and it wasn't as bad as I thought. After a an hour, I used my air line to blow out any excess oil into the container. It was replaced with new oil. I think the previous owner, a mechanic, serviced it from time to time. I emptied the fuel tank of cider vinegar and was impressed with how clean the inside of the tank was. I rinsed it out with cold water and then added carbonate of soda to neutralise the acids. I also rinsed the tank with petrol for good measure. The tank was installed with a new fuel line. I poured in fresh petrol and cleaned the spark plug and ensure everything was in place, I turned the key. Unfortunately, the battery was weak even though the engine turned over slowly. I am now charging the battery over night and hopefully I can fire up the engine to warm her up in order to drain the engine oil.

I charged up the battery yesterday evening and then rigged it up to the 1050 this morning. She started first time but was quickly enveloped in blue smoke! The pepper pot exhaust is well loud :D and it was exaggerated by the proximity of the surrounding houses. I think that will have to come off and a stack exhaust installed at some point.. It was difficult to run it smoothly as there's no choke cable connected so it kept spluttering and stalling. However it was enough to tell me it's alive with vigour. I let it ran for several minutes before draining the oil. It was thick black oil with some sludge in the bottom. Leaving it for several hours to drain, I greased up where necessary. On filling her up with fresh oil, I fired her up again and I am pleased that there is a lot less smoke but it still obvious. Chris thinks it sounds like piston rings so maybe that something else that will need doing at some point. I did engage gears and it moved under it own power very slowly but there was a lot of screeching which I thought was my wife but wasn't. ;) I think a set of belts are on the cards too plus a new red seat cover. There is some surface rust here and there but I can live with that.

Some more photos with a better backdrop this time.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• LPBolens and 29 Chev have said thanks

#34 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 02:52 PM

I will have another look at the decals and so forth this coming weekend. Thanks

I will take a photo of the decals tomorrow; sorry forgot all about that.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#35 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 10:50 AM

I attach some photo's for 29 Chev"s attention.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
  • 29 Chev said thank you