#16 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Nice find.  Surprised it has what appears to be a black seat cover yet in the one picture the right upper corner has some red showing underneath - wonder if the cover faded, was replaced at one time or if it got a black cover from the factory since it was exported (another mystery)?  It would look good with a new cover on it (red or black).

• blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 06:13 PM

I make my own steering wheel centers using rattle can tops.  Some brands are smooth clear around and come in a couple different diameters.  Trim the outside down to where it just clears the nut,  prime and paint it and epoxy it in place.

• Chubien, Bolens800uk and AA Hayes have said thanks

#18 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Great addition to your collection Andrew and it looks in great condition. I heard on the UK Bolens grapevine you were going for it :-)
Iain

I have to admit, when I saw it I just have to get it if the cost of transporting it wasn't too expensive. Apparently it will need a new inner tube in one of the front tyres and the carb to be cleaned out. He said that there is good compression in the engine. The seller owned it for 15 years when he bought the house; prior to that it was bought from the neighbour by the previous house owner. The present owner used the 1050 to cart garden waste and logs. It does make you wonder if the neighbour got anything belonging to the 1050....

#19 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:18 PM

I texted the guy for details but i think he was in cloud land the bidding looked a bit iffy only 2 bidders and within 40 minutes and similar names 
i dont think its sold

I didn't speak to the seller but heard second hand that he didn't really want to sell it hence the high reserve was not met. Apparently he wanted a deck for it. If he find one he would probably keep it. Be interesting to know if he sold it.

#20 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Nice find.  Surprised it has what appears to be a black seat cover yet in the one picture the right upper corner has some red showing underneath - wonder if the cover faded, was replaced at one time or if it got a black cover from the factory since it was exported (another mystery)?  It would look good with a new cover on it (red or black).

I personally like the red seat cover on these Bolens followed closely by the brown/ tan seat cover on the 1254. I think this 1050 is aesthetically pleasing to warrant a new red seat cover and padding.
  • blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#21 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 114 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I didn't speak to the seller but heard second hand that he didn't really want to sell it hence the high reserve was not met. Apparently he wanted a deck for it. If he find one he would probably keep it. Be interesting to know if he sold it.

i dont think theres many decks about for tf he would be doing well to sell it for £870 final bid

is that 3 tf youve got now 

#22 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 03:45 PM

i dont think theres many decks about for tf he would be doing well to sell it for £870 final bid
is that 3 tf youve got now

I agree that the price is a bit steep!

I got 4 TFs altogether 850, 1050, 1254 and the 800 (which I think is a TF with the round hood). Will get a line up shot of all the aBolens when I get them. They are scattered around the country and one in the US!

#23 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 114 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 03:49 PM

I agree that the price is a bit steep!

I got 4 TFs altogether 850, 1050, 1254 and the 800 (which I think is a TF with the round hood). Will get a line up shot of all the aBolens when I get them. They are scattered around the country and one in the US!

i bet you cant wait to get them all together 

i was just toying with a WH 520HE  only been there a few hours just went for another look and its gone was nice and tidy £600 

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#24 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted February 23, 2016 - 03:56 PM

i bet you cant wait to get them all together 
i was just toying with a WH 520HE  only been there a few hours just went for another look and its gone was nice and tidy £600

Good tractors but wrong colour for me :)
  • wurzel said thank you

#25 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:11 PM

Just heard from the seller that the cheque cleared and that it will be delivered sometime next week. Looking forward to seeing it in the metal as it were. :).
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#26 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 02:00 PM

Well it arrived at lunch time today. We unloaded the 1050 and I could not believe it that when I turned the key, it fired up straight away. I let it ran for about a minute. It was smokey from the exhaust but I think a good service will cure that or if not, some new rings. I need a new tyre or inner tube for the front. One of the headlights worked and I was once again struck how solid the Bolens is. The courier, a mate of the seller, was absolutely taken with the Bolens. As far as I could tell, all the levers worked but I will need a need a throttle cable at some point. As a working tractor, it been particularly well mainatained in an agricultural manner!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Edited by Bolens800uk, March 08, 2016 - 03:13 PM.

• LPBolens, KennyP, slf-uk and 2 others have said thanks

#27 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Looks really good Andrew, great addition to your collection. Always a good sign if it started straight away.

It appears to be largely complete including some of the deck brackets still attached, but it does look like you will be on the lookout for another air filter housing.

Iain 

#28 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:22 PM

Well spotted Iain; I didn't spot that in my excitement.

I just cannot understand why air filter housings go missing so regularly. There's a chap in Norfolk who may have one going spare.....

#29 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:38 PM

That is a nice find - hope you find an air filter housing for it. I noticed the caution decal on the panel below the dash and that it has a black steering wheel.  My second 1050 has a black steering wheel with the same style of panel that has the studs welded to it rather than the five holes with bolts through them to hold the dash on.  Wonder if that caution decal is original and also if the shift pattern and PTO decal is still readable and if so what it looks like as my 1050 with the black wheel had some newer style decals for the shift pattern and PTO and I am trying to figure out if they were original or if someone changed some panels on mine at one time.  The panel below the dash also had the newer style caution decal that goes all the way across.

#30 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:40 PM

All the tractors I have bought seem to be missing lots of the fixings. I am sure someone somewhere has a large collection of fixings.

I did have a spare air filter housing but I seem to recall that it has already gone your way :-)

Iain
  • KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks