• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 L.Fure OFFLINE  

L.Fure
  • Member No: 80764
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 01:17 PM

I got my 444 out yesterday to play with. I had trouble going from forward to neutral without accidental going into reverse. I read through the online operators manual, and it states that you have to slightly press down the lever in order to move the lever into reverse. Mine doesn't seem to work this way. Was this a feature that was added after 1978? The way I ended up putting the control in neutral was to apply the brake. Then I had to reach down to unlock the brake before I could move again. Wouldn't it be better if the notches on the brake lock were facing up, and to lock the brake you had to reach down and lift the latch up to lock the brake, instead of having to reach down every time you apply the brake?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 03:01 PM

I've been working on my 222. It sounds like something was put in backwards on yours. Good Luck, Rick
  • L.Fure said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 03:03 PM

Brake app. Moves lever to N, yes, But, would not lock each time. Can lock for parking, not in every use. Maybe lock tab spring gone? On backwards as noted? Beleive should be a slight stop on lever at N, then lift or push aside to move reverse. Might want to lube links and locks in system. I know hard to get into dash, might have to remove something under hood to see better.
  • L.Fure said thank you

#4 L.Fure OFFLINE  

L.Fure
  • Member No: 80764
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Brake app. Moves lever to N, yes, But, would not lock each time. Can lock for parking, not in every use. Maybe lock tab spring gone? On backwards as noted? Beleive should be a slight stop on lever at N, then lift or push aside to move reverse. Might want to lube links and locks in system. I know hard to get into dash, might have to remove something under hood to see better.

Is the lock tab spring suppose to hold the notched tab up, so it doesn't lock the brake when it is applied? I took the cover below the dash off yesterday, and saw a spring. But it looked like a peddle return spring to me. I was thinking that the brake isn't adjusted tight enough, causing the peddle to be pressed to far down, and engaging the lock. When I do push the brake peddle down the latch catches on the last notch. I read the instructions about adjusting the brake. Maybe I should start there.

I'm probably going to drive you guy's nuts with all these questions. I'm the kind of guy that likes  to have everything working correctly on any machine I own. My Case 530 is a good example. The tractor came with a cigarette lighter on the dash. I have it working now, and I quit smoking ten years ago. If it's there I expect it to work correctly.     

#5 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Yes the lock tab spring holds it up the tab runs through this spring. The other spring is for peddle return. As for the travel control just dip in nylon block downward pressure for easier transition there are no dead stops for travel control lever. The brake is just for parking. Hand control practice, practice and more practice.

• L.Fure said thank you