• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tanderson OFFLINE  

tanderson
  • Member No: 81025
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Newby question for those that might have experience.  Trying to adapt a 40-50 year old brinly 10 inch moldboard, originally made for a two wheeled tractor with a single pin, to work behind my recently acquired old/vintage diesel kubota 17hp GT.  The problem I have specifically is the blow wobbles to much and lies over and does not reliably grab throughout the soil/sods. One issue, the previous owner of the tractor welded on a 2 inch ball, so I have attached the plow to a 2 inch hitch, thus the wobble.  Any ideas to make this setup work, such as a guide wheel  with weights on the plow as in the plow setup tutorial in this forum. The kubota has two attachment spaces about 10 inches above the hitch that I was thinking of using to emulate a three point setup with steel brackets triangulating to the plow to support it also.  I guess I can just hacksaw off the 2 inch ball also, to use a small hitch pin, but I thought the hitch ball may have use for me with a 4x6 trailer later for moving stuff around the property, and it seems sturdier.

Just probing for any thoughts if anyone cares to provide input for someone trying something new here.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 10:09 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Trying to visualize what you are saying! Is the plow attached with the ball? Some pics would help. It should have some room to swing a little side to side, but not up & down.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 10:11 AM

Welcome to GTTalk ! I wonder how well that trailer ball for the po ? Maybe he had it set perfect , I know I've never could have done that ! Can't picture what your tractors hitch looks like but I'm sure others will have an answer for you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 10:43 AM

Plow can't bobble around, has to be stiff.  You should have a 3pt on that type tractor?  That would be way to go. We could use some pix of the plow and tractor hitch area and maybe held up to it and such to get better idea what you have. If it is single point hitch on plow, think would need to be Sleeve hitch and just held in drawbar with a pin?  Sleeve has two bolts, on each side to keep the back/forth movement in order. The sleeve hitch would connect to tractor then, say on drawbar, but bar needs to be held solid, not swiveling.  Maybe others can show their set-up?

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Maybe not the right way to mount a plow, but I have mine solidly mounted to a homemade hitch...It is a small (8 inch I think) from a David Bradley walk behind. .It cant swivel at all. It works good, never had a problem with it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• plow 001 (Small).JPG

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plow, molboard, implements