• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Got my Gravely sold yesterday so my wife and I enjoyed the nice weather and did some tractor shopping.  I have always like the little T series with the 2 cylinder diesel.  I usualy miss out on the good deals when one pops up for sale.   I lucked out this time and snagged this one for $700 off Craigslist with my wife's help.   Came with ag tires on the rear, all the hub caps are there, runs well.  I need to do some work on the tubular frame just in front of the HST unit.  He mowed rough ground and the frame has been fixed, poorly with a "bubble gum" weld job. I will grind it down and reweld better, along with adding some needed reinforcing. The drive shaft looks fairly new and the HST drive is strong.   Not many of these little tractor were made IMHO due to thier high cost. You just dont see these, let along one that will be restored eventually.   A small tractor is all we need and I wanted a diesel.  That doesn't leave much of a choice.  I had a G 5200, but even it was a bit large for our small yard.  I really don't plow anymore, but I think with some frame reinforcement, this little girl could do that with a small moldboard plow.  Mike

20160221_080314_zpsm8vubrei.jpeg

• Traill95, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:27 AM

Nice score! Have fun with it!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 11:03 AM

I plan to have a bunch of fun with her.  First task once I give it a needed bath and degreasing is to reinforce the frame where the fenders meet the floor pan.  The frame looks to be tubular in nature in that area, so some rewelding of poor repair welds the PO did, and some reinforcing angle iron are in order.   Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 11:52 AM

What size cutting deck?

Does it do the hippie-hippie shake at an idle?  :dancingbanana:

#5 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 09:28 PM

44" cutting deck.  

#6 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 02:05 PM

Here is a pic I took of the little T1600 today.  I still wonder if she would tollerate some occasional sleeve hitch work?   Find a small 6" moldboard plow and fab either a manual lift or electric lift sleeve hitch to the rear.   I have seen much cheaper tractors with a Sears 3pt or homebrew sleeve hitch pulling a normal Brinly 8 or 10 inch.  If the frame stays together, I would think the limiting factor would be traction,even with the ag tires.  She has a Eaton 750 hydro pump that is shaft driven. Those seem to last as long as the drive shaft  U joints are kept healthy.  If a joint siezes up, the front pump bearing cannot handle the load and when it goes, it takes the pump with it.  The little 13.5hp diesel has plenty of power/torque.   I had a G5200 and I have had other diesel GT's in the past, most are much larger in size than I need.   If nobody buys the little T1600(its for sale), then I might just see if it can do some limited plowing.  The deck is off in the pic as it needed some major welding up of stress cracks.  The PO was mowing some really rough terrain and it showed.

20160312_095525_zpsmirviw9z.jpeg

• KennyP said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 03:54 PM

I don't think that tractor was made for any ground engagement work.  If there are issues with the frame now with just the deck being used I sure would not try doing ground engagement work with it.  My opinion of the situation.