• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:41 PM

I have seen pictures of a massey ferguson 10 with duals. I want to put duals on a massey ferguson 12 that I have. I have put together a plan for it to be done.

Massey ferguson 12 plan

Find 4 appropriate rims and 23 8.5-12 tires. Find dual wheel spacer kit for rims.

Load inner wheels with calcium chloride inside of inner tube. Install wheel weights on inner wheels also.

I plan on using this tractor with a 7 S tine cultivator and an atv disk

I know that duals on a gt isn't too great for the transaxle... But I have ideas to bypass the harm it will potentially do. Under inflate the outer dual or run one size smaller than the inner dual? I want to use this for both the local tractor show and for work around where I live.

Would a massey ferguson 12 be up to pulling these implements? Would it be fine with the duals if I took the steps outlined above?

Thanks

Pictures are of what I want the end result to be like and the cultivator and the disk.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#2 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Go for it! If it is your goal to get it in this configuration then try it out. Worst case scenerio if it doesn't work the way you want you can always sell the extra tires/rims and spacer kit locally.
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 10:16 PM

Try it. Either way, it will be a good learning experience.

#4 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I have no idea what exactly is used to use duals,,,have not looked into but it does look good. This Simplicity was at the Slate River ploughing event last year.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1367.JPG

Edited by Jazz, February 21, 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:54 AM

I would not use the calcium even inside the tubes, for one thing. Next is the outside tire. Lower air pressure in it will be about the only way to go as I don't know of a tire just smaller than the 23X8.5-12's. As long as you aren't putting a lot of pressure on those outside tires, you may get by without breaking an axle.

• ducky, boyscout862, CanadianHobbyFarmer and 1 other said thanks

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:30 AM

I am not sure how much extra traction you will get from the duals if they are not in full contact with the ground( ie smaller size or under-inflated). I think you might be better off with loaded singles and wheel weights. As Kenny suggested, there are a lot of alternatives to Calcium for loading the tires. Rimguard  (aka beet juice) is heavier, non-toxic and non-corrosive and not overly expensive if you can find a dealer near you.Windshield washer fluid, anti-freeze and RV plumbing anti-freeze are other alternatives, I used the RV plumbing anti-freeze in mine because it is also non-toxic. I have the same size tires as you and I got an additional 40 lbs per tire.

Jim

#7 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:49 AM

I have no idea what exactly is used to use duals,,,have not looked into but it does look good. This Simplicity was at the Slate River ploughing event last year.

That's the look I'm going for... I just want a hard worker to do the big work (disking and cultivating) with bigger implements to save time. I think I'll run lower air pressure in the outer dual then... Or just wider tires and singles. never seen much of the wide tires on anything around here except turf savers and a pair of big 4wd tractors, it's always been duals or fwa around here.

Edited by Greasy6020, February 21, 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#8 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:52 AM

I always thought that the calcium chloride was what rotted out all the wheels years ago.It's actually not.The reason they rot out is if liquid gets between the tube and rim it has no way to dry out.The condensation rots the rims.We have a jd 2150 that has calcium chloride in the tire.It's a tubeless tire.We pulled the tire and the rim is brand-new inside.Our tire guy actually gave us the history.We couldn't believe how good the rim still looked for having the calcium in all those years.

A Massey 12 shouldn't have any issue pulling  those attachments with just weights and a set of ags.If you want the look of duals go for it.

• limebuzz and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:56 AM

I think I'll save the duals for at the plowing match... Don't want to break an axle if I can help it.

The slate river plowing event jazz mentioned is what I mean by plowing match. Anyone is welcome!

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 11:15 AM

A Massey 10 with single set of 6x12 AG tires, loaded and 2 sets of wheel weights grips pretty good. 

Can pull 10" plow, double disc set with extra weight on them, and cultivator without to much problem.

Going to a wider tire, 23-10.50x12, loaded with 2 sets of wheel weights would grip even better, wider foot print would work better.

You might want to consider going that route.

Edited by DH1, February 21, 2016 - 11:16 AM.