• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 09:05 PM

Looks like plenty of room in the background for try some side hill gardening. :smilewink:

That hill is steeper then I looks in my young a crazy days I rode quads up it an even sled rode down from the water tower.
  • Cvans said thank you

#17 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 10:46 PM

well its interesting. The tiller probably has a place in a garden , but to me their more the anti-Christ and a helpful item. The key to gardening with GT's isn't just the plowing, disking and leveling of the soil, but to  be able to keep and control what grows in it during and afterwards. This is where the tiller bites the dust so to speak, as it just churns a lot of weed seeds that sprout again and make you almost have to start over. You need to be able to cultivate and cultivate multiple times. you also need to get the rows as narrow as you can to take advantage of natural plant shading of the earth , to keep those weeds at bay. What your looking to do is turn no more dirt than you have to, to the point that your really making a mulch of dust. A cultivator properly setup will do this, a tiller never will be able to get there.   You will get most of your "ride time" just doing the vator work, and if you have several different ones setup to do between the row or over the row you get much more time. There are even setups to do in the row work, but that goes a little beyond what this posting is about.

• Alc, holdenboy1960 and Paulgo have said thanks