• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Or its 5 below outside and your furnace won't run so you try to walk your wife through troubling shooting it. Or your septic tank over flows, or your hot water heater breaks, or your daughter breaks her arm, or the oil furnace runs out of fuel, or a family member suddenly passes away, or your father in law gets really sick, or your grass needs cut, or your roof is leaking around the chimney, or a water line freezes, or your kitchen sink plugs up...

Those problems some minor some major. Missing the first year of my sons life and a year of my daughters life because I was constantly working really was the worst of all.

That's a few of the problems dozens of things I had occur awhile I was a couple hundred miles from home for work.

BTDT for all but the broken arm.. as yet anyway. There is still time for me to have that happen yet.... Wanna buy a tee-shirt???I think I can get a smoking deal....

Edited by camdigger, February 20, 2016 - 04:55 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#17 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 04:58 PM

I commuted 4 hrs.A Day, 100 miles each way, for 25 yrs. In 4 season weather. It was like having two jobs.

I feel your pain. I put on 65000 + miles a year for over a decade driving for work. Never the same place, never the same exact job.

commutes anywhere from 50 to 450 miles. What I gave for consistent commute from a fixed address to a fixed address later on

Edited by camdigger, February 20, 2016 - 05:01 PM.

• karl said thank you

#18 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 05:27 PM

When I was young and single I actually enjoyed travelling for work. I had nothing really to miss at home and seeing new places and meeting new people was a lot of fun for me, especially with all expenses paid. Once I met my wife, traveling without her got old really fast. I still love to go away on vacation with her, or on hunting trips with my buddies, but away from home for work is something I just don't do anymore.

Jim

• camdigger said thank you

#19 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 05:42 PM

When I was young and single I actually enjoyed travelling for work. I had nothing really to miss at home and seeing new places and meeting new people was a lot of fun for me, especially with all expenses paid. Once I met my wife, traveling without her got old really fast. I still love to go away on vacation with her, or on hunting trips with my buddies, but away from home for work is something I just don't do anymore.

Jim

Some aspects of the transient/expat life, I still enjoy.... all else is an exercise in perseverance and frustration....

at least weekly and some times daily, nay, hourly, I remind myself that this is most definitely NOT a volunteer effort......oo
  • karl said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Some aspects of the transient/expat life, I still enjoy....

I loved carrying a fishing pole with me and hitting any local hot spots. Picked up a few good deals traveling around and checking craigslist
  • karl said thank you

#21 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Two things the Navy taught me, one to provide for my family no matter where I am is worth its weight in gold, two, my wife was far more capable then anyone would have given her credit for including me. This fact made me realize what a great wife and life I have. The experience has shown me that complaining about the little stuff only made me miss the important things that much more. When I retired and no longer had the privlage to travel and make a living I finally realized that now I knew what misery looked like, not being able to buy that wonderful woman anything she deserved was a much worse thing than to spend a little time away from her and bringing her home the world!
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks